• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me Fill in the Gaps

Dan Ensor

Sophomore
I have several discs that I don't see ever leaving my bag. However, I don't feel it's a full bag, so a lot of others make guest appearances. So I'd like some suggestions on discs that will really bring my bag to a full and continuous feel.

I throw every which way but LHFH. OH up to about 250' with my Flicks.
RHBH: Wizard-280' Eagle-380'
LHBH: Wizard-240' Eagle-330'
RHFH: Wizard-200' Eagle-300'

I like to throw everything from spike hyzers to sky rollers.

Here's the permanent bag:

Putters:
S-Wizard x2
SS-Wizard x2

Mids:
FLX Drone x2

FW Drivers:
150g DX Leopard x2
Star Leopard x2
Champ Leopard (sometimes a freaky stable E*)
150g Champ Eagle-L x2
Star Eagle
Champ Eagle (Mostly interchangeable with the Star, but more OS and less glide)
150g Flick x3 (Flippy, Stable, OS) for overhands and spike hyzers

Multiples of discs are similar stabilities (some difference), but mostly in there for backups.

So some of the things I think about are:

A lack of mids
A lack of distance drivers
An understable putter
And overstable putter

I've definitely thought about putting a Roc/Comet cycle in. But every once in a while, I don't throw beaded mids very well.

I've used Hurricanes, but I'd like something a little more stable (without going to SP FLX). Star/ESP is my preferred plastic for everything but putters and stupidly overstable discs. VIP also feels good.

I've used Magics, but they don't feel awesome. I'm thinking a Shaman might get this slot, but I just got one and haven't thrown it enough. Is an understable putter necessary?

What about an overstable putter? Like a Ringer/Breaker? My Zones always felt too close to the Drones that I'm very attached to. I think this is probably the least necessary slot that I'd think about filling.

I'm really liking Eagle/Leo setup for FW. They make a lack of DDs basically a non-issue.

slower US putter or mid. They aren't a NEED but very helpful when you have a restricted run up and need a super touch shot. Nothing holds a line like one of these discs at a low power.

otherwise im not seeing much would couldn't be done with those discs given it appears you have lighter/seasoned versions etc..

Last edited:
I have given a Sonic a thought in the past.

I've seen people using beat Aviars for that shot. Will a Wizard ever get flippy enough?

not like a magic would but I know what you mean on the profile.

The Salient Antidote is a like a midrange "high speed lid/catch" disc-- if that makes any sense at all lol. the liquid plastic is great too'

I would say birdie/polecat over sonic and personally a fan of the OG bowfly but its pretty deep dish. I bag a pa4 on and off too depending on the length of a course.

Last edited:
What weight do you use? I'm thinking max weight would negate some of the advantages to them.

Polecat

I also have some Zephyr's that will audition for the slot. They're pretty consistent even in low weights (167g is what I'll be using).

Was the Antidote a suggestion for the same role? I'm thinking I'd prefer a Shaman to an Antidote, so that it doesn't overlap my Leopards as much.

yes just faster more on the lines of a extremely flippy drone.

the polecats I have thrown all were heavier. they are not really understable vs a lighter one so yes you are right there. Sonics are well, very understable and birdies in the middle I guess.

ScottP(salient rep) might be able to give you a very nice deal on a antidote to try out. I purchased some discs from him to give away but am out of all the antidotes.

Last edited:
Actually I just found last one I have in their stiff cryo plastic. $5 for the shipping and its yours'

I have given a Sonic a thought in the past.

My Pro-D Sonic was a failure. It did what I wanted for most of its flight (75 foot or less, slow, floaty annies to the basket), but it didn't have any LSF to make it land nice and flat. The fact that it almost always landed on the RH edge (RHBH) meant trouble for me on many occasions when it wouldn't stay put.

Check out a prodigy pa4 for the understable putter. Great feel,no bead. Might be just what your looking for.

AIM is a great guy. You can't go wrong with his advice.

I caught that :thmbup:

Thanks Curtis. I'll keep that in mind. Although I'm not sure that isn't the amount of flip I'm looking for. A Sonic isn't high on my wants list right now, per ya'll's suggestion.

I have a Pa4. And some Magics. They audition for the spot a lot. I haven't gotten the hang of them, though. Some times they don't come up from a hyzer. The Shaman has been more reliable for short hyzer-flips.

The Antidote is definitely the straightest finishing mid I've ever thrown. It feels a bit odd in the hand, though. I think I may have to adjust my grip to get it to fly right. It's almost like the design forces the disc to go nose down. It's going to take a little bit of getting used to before I'll be able to say anything about it (other than mentioning it's crazy straight finish. Seriously ... it really does finish about like a Zephyr :eek: )

Finally picked up a Polecat. It's exactly what I was looking for. Now I just need about a dozen of them to get comfortable with them :)

A few other changes to my bag, nothing serious though. It looks like:

Hurricanes x3 (flippy proline, straight proline, os flex sp)
Flicks x3 (flippy ESP, straight Z, os ESP)
Eagles x5 (2 150g C, 2 straight Star, glideless/mildly os champ)
Drones x2
Nebula (beat ish)
Roc (beat ish)
Wizards x4 (2 putting, 1 fresh, 1 beat)

With the plan being to replace the Nebula with a Buzzz OS, add in a Buzzz, and add a Polecat or two.

I was surprised at how well the Buzzz OS transitions between a Buzzz and Drone. So I have to give a Buzzz-Buzzz OS-Drone setup a try. Even though I rarely use mids.

I rarely use mids either. I think people who really rely on fairways (as it seems you do with eagles) or people who tend to stretch putters often don't throw mids as often.

There are few times I couldn't reach it with a FH zone or power down a teebird. That being said, when there are shots that I want a mid range, they are irreplaceable. I recently made the switch from truths back to buzzz, but I don't find mids to be a staple for me.

My two questions are this, why the 150 class? Does the OS hurricane really work as an OS control driver or do you prefer to use flicks for that shot?

I rely on fairways and stretch my putters. The Roc comes out when I don't want fade at the end of a typical fwd shot, and the Neb comes out when I want to minimize skip on fwd shots, or want a fade to a putter shot.

The 150g Eagles are for uphill shots that are straight to turnover. I also prefer lighter discs for forehands. They're also the only Eagles with a decent flip to them. I won't throw them on a low ceiling, though. When I beat up a heavier (165ish) star, they might come out.

My flicks are mostly for overhand. I'm nursing a shoulder injury right now, so they aren't being used much. They're all 150g, though, so I use the OS one for spike hyzers where I'm going over something, or uphill hyzer or flex shots (the Z and OS ESP).

The FLX Hurricane gets almost no action. I usually throw the Champ Eagle instead. Or the fresher Proline Hurricane. But it's far more OS than the other Hurricanes, so if there's a stiff headwind on a distance hyzer line, or flex line, it comes out. It's about the same stability as my OS Flick, but I like the rim better on the Hurricane for most situations.

My bag is pretty close to you're but I love my rocs in Dx just gotta get some beat in ones with some of the bead worn off or you could try a shark straighter with no bead. Just my $0.2

Yeah, I like Rocs. And I do have a cycle going (I have 5 or 6 Rocs in my practice bag). I actually need to re-up on fresh ones. The one I have has most all of the LSS beat out of it, but still doesn't turn much. But I like faster discs for overstable stuff. They aren't quite as touchy on flex shots. I think of Rocs as straight-shooters. So I only carry one, for that purpose.

Latest posts