• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me out guys! TRONOFTHEDEAD's Bag

TRONOFTHEDEAD

Hey dgcoursereviewers been looking to kinda trim the fat out of my bag for a while now. I'd like to say I'm pretty good but would really just like to grab a bunch of info from you guys. When I first started I bought a bunch of discs and just kinda started throwing them and so my disc selection for certain shots was always very specific. I've more recently been trying to consolidate the amount of unique molds that I have in my bag so that I can start having one or two discs take care of the jobs I have 6 for. Any and all advice, pointers, criticisms, etc. are encouraged. I am looking to be better, bottom line. Thanks in advance for the help guys. -TRON

Vitals:
Right-Handed
Throwing Style: RHBH mostly, FH if it suits the whole, proficiency in all utility throws
Golf Distance (avg/max*) for putter/mid/driver: SS Omega: 200/250' (really only use for putting though); Buzzz: 250/300'; Stalker: 300-350/400'; Boss: 400+/625'

What do you like/dislike about your current bag?: I really like the consistency I have in the short/midrange/shorter drive category but would like to consolidate the discs for some areas of my game so that I can become perfectly proficient with a few different discs in my bag.

Immediate and long-term goals: I'd like to consolidate my bag asap and in the long term become very good with a few select discs.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
173 Champion Boss, (beat) - main driver
174 Champion Boss, (used but stable) - straight line distance
175 Champion Boss, (newish) - overstable distance
172 Star Boss, (used but stable) - FH distance
175 Champion Teerex (beat) - tunnel with a skip at the end/ hard hyzer spike shots
175 Champion Teerex (beat) - same as above (first disc was a rex so I collected champ ones)
175 Champion Wraith (beat) - anhyzer distance
175 Champion Roadrunner (beat) - rollers
175 Champion Monarch (in between new and beat) - utility (tomahawk, thumber, etc.)

Fairways:
175 Champion 11x FLAT Firebird (beat still crazy overstable) - Hard left skip shots
175 Z Stalker (newish) - go to Fairway

Mids:
176 CryZtal Buzzz, (newish) - main mid
178 ESP FLX Buzzz (beat) - little more understable buzzz lines/finesse mid

Putters:
3x 175 Black SS Omegas (beat) - putting

The things that I can see is that my fairway game needs to be added to since the majority of holes I play I can reach with these drivers and obviously have more control than I have with my bosses. I am IN LOVE with my Buzzzes and would like to kinda shape my game around them (they are my goto from under 300' sometimes out to 350' depending on the whole). I am really liking my stalker as well because (for me) it flies like the buzzz which makes me start thinking about picking up some more discraft in place of some of my other discs (ie Nukes for Bosses, Predator for my Firebird etc.) I definitely will probably grab some more stalkers as well. also if there are any molds that are kinda close to a buzzz or stalker but might be better for wind or other scenarios feel free to comment.

And finally thanks again for any and all help everybody, Keep Calm and Putt Strong.

Bag:

Drivers (weight/plastic/model/(condition)/use):
173 Champion Boss, (beat) - main driver
174 Champion Boss, (used but stable) - straight line distance
175 Champion Boss, (newish) - overstable distance
172 Star Boss, (used but stable) - FH distance
175 Champion Teerex (beat) - tunnel with a skip at the end/ hard hyzer spike shots
175 Champion Teerex (beat) - same as above (first disc was a rex so I collected champ ones)
I feel as you don't need 2 t rex's and an addition of an overstable fairway could take this place and take a boss out since you have 2 that are practically the same
175 Champion Wraith (beat) - anhyzer distance
175 Champion Roadrunner (beat) - rollers
175 Champion Monarch (in between new and beat) - utility (tomahawk, thumber, etc.)
Take at least one out since they are almost the same thing for stability and distance

Fairways:
175 Champion 11x FLAT Firebird (beat still crazy overstable) - Hard left skip shots
175 Z Stalker (newish) - go to Fairway
Def add an overstable fairway like an Eagle-X or a crazy stable stalker
Mids:
176 CryZtal Buzzz, (newish) - main mid
178 ESP FLX Buzzz (beat) - little more understable buzzz lines/finesse mid
I would add an overstable mid here like a hornet, wasp or roc
Putters:
3x 175 Black SS Omegas (beat) - puttingIf you use only for putting then I would take at least one and maybe 2 out
Yupp

I have run into a similar problem with throwing buzzzes. I feel they are to close to fairway drivers to really need something in that speed range. I found that speed 9 discs are about the next jump up in speed needed with buzzzes in the bag. Look for something like an avenger, pd or olf and try it out for a slightly faster fairway driver with more control and easier grip than a boss.

You can max drive 625', why so many drivers?? You can't possibly find the throws to use them on. I would think a broader selection of mids and fairways would serve you well and take some of the big drivers out.

Well, here's the thing. The Stalker doesn't do a whole lot more than a Buzzz, it's basically a Buzzz with little wings but it isn't that much longer than a Buzzz really. If you want to build your game around your Buzzz, I'd lean towards dropping the Stalker b/c it is like an easy button or a crutch that will steal throws from a Buzzz. It's a short-term you'll suck, long-term you'll improve kind of situation. The other thing is, b/w your Stalker and your Bosses/Wraith is a massive speed/range gap, especially at your distance (625'! Wow, I'll have what you're having, lol). A faster fairway driver/slower distance driver would be much more useful than some Stalkers. Speed 9/10 drivers are right in the middle, something like a PD, OLF/OLS, Striker, River, Orc, Viking, Valk, etc will give you a nice balance of control and distance.

The Wraith you can replace easily with an understable Boss (they exist, a DX or R-pro can do for a quick fix while a better plastic Boss is beat in) if you want to drop one random mold.

I really don't like TeeRexes, I think something like a Predator is a way better disc. It's also kind of weird that you have a mold (monarch) specifically for OH shots. Monarchs beat into super flippy and would overlap your Roadrunner heavily eventually, you might be able to drop a mold there.

If you can find a Nebula, it's supposedly very similar to a buzzz, with a little more overstability. I've never thrown one, just what I've heard.

I find the Force to be more similar than the Nuke to the Boss, but I throw none of the 3 regularly.

I really don't like TeeRexes, I think something like a Predator is a way better disc. It's also kind of weird that you have a mold (monarch) specifically for OH shots. Monarchs beat into super flippy and would overlap your Roadrunner heavily eventually, you might be able to drop a mold there.

A Flick is a good OS driver, as well as an excellent OH/utility disc.

Yeah I definitely saw the difference out there today with my buzzzes and the one stalker also threw a ti that someone had but it really only out drove the buzzz by about 20 ft. I guess I'd really like to see about 50 to 100' max more distance with a fairway driver. I just need to find the one that'll work for me. Any suggestions that will be reminiscent of a buzzz?

If you can find a Nebula, it's supposedly very similar to a buzzz, with a little more overstability. I've never thrown one, just what I've heard.
I'm the unofficial Nebula king around here. ;) I love that disc. It's basically a small diameter Buzzz with the stability b/w that and a good Wasp. Flight wise, it's more of an S-curve disc like an Eagle compared to the Buzzz's straight, Teebird type flight. Not necessarily longer than a Buzzz but if you want a Buzzz like disc that will never get flippy really, they're great.
A Flick is a good OS driver, as well as an excellent OH/utility disc.
The Pred is probably the most reminiscent of a good TeeRex that I can think of. The Flick is cool but it's usually more OS and more useful as a OH disc. It does skip like a king though but I think the Pred is more versatile b/c they don't dump fade as hard, more of a push forward and fade rather than a fade immediately kind of OS driver. Another good skipping and OH disc is the xXx but they're really beefy too.
Yeah I definitely saw the difference out there today with my buzzzes and the one stalker also threw a ti that someone had but it really only out drove the buzzz by about 20 ft. I guess I'd really like to see about 50 to 100' max more distance with a fairway driver. I just need to find the one that'll work for me. Any suggestions that will be reminiscent of a buzzz?
Try a JLS, Z XL or TL. A little faster, an OLS or a Star Orc or seasoned SPD might strike your fancy.

I was always a big fan of the tl but it's so hard to find those champion ones, and expensive. The star ones just beat in too flippy I'm thinking the beat teebird might be the solution but I was hoping to keep an all discraft bag in the hopes that a sponsorship might come eventually. Any thoughts on the xl, tracker, or maybe avenger. I know there isn't a discraft teebird just wanted any info on those discs since I've never thrown them.

My club might have some CFR TLs. I'm not sure the guy I would need to talk to is speaking to me atm, but I'll see about checking on that if you'd like.

Thanks for the offer Dan but don't go to the trouble. I think I'm gonna try and find some discraft that will work. If only the stalker just flew 50 more feet! :)

Gonna go have a shoot out on the field here when I get a chance. Teebird vs xl vs stalker. Winner take all. Also I've been throwing old omega supersofts for years, does anyone have any thoughts on these vs the new anode. I'd kinda like to grab a putter that is still in production (never dug the new ss plastic) also it's ability to be used as a driving putter really gets me excited. Anyone have any thoughts?

I've thrown the Anode and I still throw the Omega SS. The Anode was a cool driving putter very straight and super long, but the rim was too deep for my fingers. (Insert small hand joke here) I never felt comfortable with the Anode so I switched to Omega APs and have never looked back.

Just reading your questions about Discraft drivers in your speed gap range, I would say the Avenger or Tracker will be a good fit. The Tracker will be more of long fairway driver that has a straight line with a good fade, and the Avenger will be a control distance driver with a good fade. I would be careful trying to swap out the Bosses. The Nuke should be able to give you better D, but it's probably going to be on a different line than you're use to throwing.

I've thrown the Anode and I still throw the Omega SS. The Anode was a cool driving putter very straight and super long, but the rim was too deep for my fingers. (Insert small hand joke here) I never felt comfortable with the Anode so I switched to Omega APs and have never looked back.

Just reading your questions about Discraft drivers in your speed gap range, I would say the Avenger or Tracker will be a good fit. The Tracker will be more of long fairway driver that has a straight line with a good fade, and the Avenger will be a control distance driver with a good fade. I would be careful trying to swap out the Bosses. The Nuke should be able to give you better D, but it's probably going to be on a different line than you're use to throwing.

I've really wanted to take a look at all this MVP plastic which is why I brought it up. Seems like it might be the new thing, but only time will tell. I'm also thinking about giving the axis a go too. I use my buzzz for so much I figure I'll like the neutral midrange a lot. I'm thinking I might get the xl to work out great since I feel like its a discraft tl and the tl was my favorite fairway for a long time. Ive also wanted to give the avenger and tracker a look so thanks for the feedback.

Thank you so much for everyone's comments as well and for those maybe to come. I really appreciate your time and effort.

Latest posts