• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help me throw farther

Nick481

Birdie Member
Hey guys,
2 months ago I started playing disc golf again after playing for 4 months back in 2012 and not playing since. I took some video of one drive on a hole and 2 distance throws in a field. I mostly care about distance and that is why I am primarily asking for pointers for my form to help with speed and distance. The first video my wrist rotated causing the disc to go nose up, thats why it goes really high and stalls out, it was a pro wraith and went 350'
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_T4UTD2B6J4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Second vid is a Lat 64 diamond (don't normally throw this disc, but it flips nicely) and flipped up, turned over and did a nice s curve to 410'.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Vvjc8_h8i3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last vid I threw a pro wraith on an all out bomb, high and slight anny, it turned way over but had enough height and somehow caught enough glide to completely pan out, it was pretty much an ideal distance line I was pretty lucky to hit and it went 510'. Also the hop step was just something i was trying, I am not sure if it helped or not.
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RY7WJvAedoI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The hop definitely helps you stay more balanced and light footed. It's night and day from the first two, your finish in the third vid looks like Ken Jarvis with flat feet. Your hyzers are way flat footed and your hips fall/slide to the left instead of staying more forward or more toward your right. You should also be reaching back more toward the left side of the tee pad from your body for hyzer. You reachback back too far behind your body and have to round the pull line. You also should plant your rear foot more sideways and load more into the instep and rear hip.

Thanks for the help sidewinder. I will work on those things. One question though, when you say flat footed, do you mean I am not going through my throw on the balls of my feet and rather literally flat footed? Or is it just at a certain part of the throw i.e. planting at the end.

You plant your left foot too backward and sit too long on your left foot and actually lift your toes up with the heel still on the ground. Watch most any pro and they never lift the rear toes off the ground and rarely ever let the rear heel touch the ground or let their weight into it.

Did some standstills today on the golf course with some putters and midranges. I try not to overwhelm my muscle memory change with trying to change everything at once, so today I just worked on reaching back more straight and lining my feet up with my throwing line. I also tried a little to snap more from the hit and bring the disc in farther to the right before chopping the elbow.

you need to not be so | with where you are throwing. The left foot should not be directly inline with the right foot in order to get a good weight shift which you lack as well as proper disc and arm plane orientation as it launches nose up. You go from anhyzer and wrist the disc over to flat with a ballerina leg and no leverage from the ground up as you spin out at the target.

Rough.

Appreciate tbe help. One thing though, they weren't going nose up, they all flew on pretty straight and low line drives, it does appear in the video as they go nose up but they didn't, is pretty much the angle. I see what you're saying with the inconsistent arm plane, that will definitely be hard to fix. Not sure why its rough that I dont't have good form though, I have only been playing for 2 months basically.

I dislike angles from here, straight behind and side are so much easier to see things. Your stance could be more closed I think. You are leaning back and forth instead of turning/loading your core. When you go into your backswing your rear foot arch/toes comes off the ground so your weight is to the outside of your foot. Stay inside the instep of your rear foot. You also leave the front heel on the ground, it should come up from your turning hip and weight moving back. Keep your head up more centered and firm up your posture, then squat(bend rear knee and hip) and move your weight/everything forward. When you go into the backswing and forward your head/spine drops/slides to the left, stay upright balanced over your feet, it's ok if the head goes up or down, but it should be because your whole center of gravity has moved up or down in posture from your knees/hips bending or extending.

Ill make sure to film closer to down the line next time. Going to continue to grind through some standstills for the next couple weeks and work on what youve told me to change. My goal is to get it past 550' and over 450' golf d in the next couple months.

Injured my right erector spinae a couple weeks ago squatting so I finally threw a little today, just some standstills. Not sure if I really improved my bracing/balance at all, but I think I mightve improved my pull through a little.
Dx aero hyzer flip:

Esp buzzz:

Video 1: You're bracing against the outside of your plant foot. Pausing it you can see how the instep is off the ground. You want to brace against the instep, that'll help you from tipping over the plant and taking that little hop to regain your balance.

There's two relatively common stand-still back-swings: The style you're doing and then the Will S style.

Here's some input on the Will S style:

If you want to stick to your style, you still want to compress to some degree into the back leg during the backswing (onto the ball of your back foot) and drive the hips forward into the instep of your plant foot. You also want to move that plant foot forward during that motion. There's zero reason to leave your feet static.

Video 2: pretty much the same thing. You're doing well with the elbow extension. I'd also suggest, especially while you're building good habits - is start and finish in a quiet/balanced posture (pose). It'll help your brain start to expect to be balanced through-out the motion. Having a big ? at the end where you let the little hop and walk out happen is not balanced to your brain.

1. Close your stance to your target. Front foot 6-12" closer to the left side of the tee than your rear foot. This is absolutely necessary unless you are content throwing high hook hyzers out to the right. See "Power of Posture" video part about stance and throwing the hammer.

2. Stay in balance moving back and forth to actually shift your weight back and forth. Instead you are leaning back and forth so your weight stays more centered. You want to turn/load back further so your front heel/foot gets pulled up from the core loading back.

3. This is related to #2. Your head/spine is tilted on the wrong axis when you start swinging. You need to shift your weight FROM BEHIND YOU like in the "best downswing weight shift" vid. Also see vid below, you are swinging like he demonstrates around 1:25 with the grass whip.

Thanks for the input guys. So, to summarize, I need to stagger my front foot to the left side of the teepad to help with my body's direction, load my weight back more as I reach back (allowing my front heel to come up) and let my front foot "step" (but not forward, just come off the ground) during my throw. And during the latter part of the throw and follow through need to brace weight on the inside of my front foot (I can tell this one will be kind of hard, but will help a lot). I will work on these things next time.

I take a small "step" from the setup position, but I'm turning back while I do that(watch how my foot turns up backwards, not forward), so it's not really a step forward, it's a pivoting and striding motion. The further forward you shift your weight/center, the more closed you need to plant to be able to catch yourself or brace yourself to pivot freely like a skier turning or moguls. Watch how backwards closed Will S has to plant his front foot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI#t=3m17s

I take a small "step" from the setup position, but I'm turning back while I do that(watch how my foot turns up backwards, not forward), so it's not really a step forward, it's a pivoting and striding motion. The further forward you shift your weight/center, the more closed you need to plant to be able to catch yourself or brace yourself to pivot freely like a skier turning or moguls. Watch how backwards closed Will S has to plant his front foot.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30cUNsWOYSI#t=3m17s

Your step that you do while your turning back is what I meant and I think HUB was referring to. I am going to try to incorporate it into my standstills.

Worked on the form today.
Dx aero 270' (noticed some good hitting on this throw, like almost 4 o clock st release, thats why it looked effortless but went far)

Dx aviar 280'

Esp buzz 300'

Also just wanted to note that my throws were going 20+ feet on average farther today than last time I threw. And i forgot to attach it heres the release on that first throw.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 33
Last edited: