• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Help with backhand drives

Trent B

Par Member
So I have been playing about 2 years now. I started out throwing RHBH as I'm sure most people do as it seems the most natural to get a disc to fly. I developed a mediocre backhand drive, about 150'. Then I saw people throwing forehand so I gave that a shot. Within a few weeks I had a decent flick around 200'. Now 2 years later I almost always drive forehand, I probably max out around 350', still a work in progress. I only drive backhand when forced to and it is wild, I mean really wild. I never know where it's gonna go. I throw up shots backhand but I use a fan grip, almost the same as my putting grip. The problem seems to be tied to the power grip(pads of 4 fingers on the rim) and my inability to predict the moment the disc snaps out and at what angle. If I put everything I have into the drive (run up almost back turned to front of tee) the disc usually takes off like a rocket into the sky and I get an embarrassing boomerang flight. I have hardly ever gotten a distance driver to fly level and straight, forget about s-curve. Even very understable discs turn into hooks but it doesn't feel like I'm releasing on a hyzer. I know I have the power because I can feel it when it snaps out. I have watched videos and asked friends but nothing has really made it click. I'm waiting for that AHA! Moment. Anyone had a similar problem and maybe you put something in your head that made it work? Any advice would be appreciated. The lack of a backhand is becoming very apparent. Sorry it's so long.

Good Day Sir,

I started working on really learning the backhand drive a few months ago. The first thing I would recommend, if you have a decent camera, is to video yourself throwing from the side and watch in slow motion. Compare it to pros slowmo throws. Posting it on the critique forum will also give you some insight if you are not sure what is going wrong or how to fix it.

For me personally, the release timing has never been the issue, rather the positioning of the shoulders/feet on the last step in the run up. If you are learning with a run up try to do it at half the speed your body wants to do it and power down the throw by half as well (you will still throw it far with proper form). If you are trying to develop a basic backhand I cant stress enough that you shouldn't be doing full power throws or a fast run up, even though it seems necessary to produce distance. The final split second of the throw is where the action really happens, everything before is just getting you on line and generating a little momentum. Think of it like throwing a ball, you never throw a ball and consciously monitor when to release it, you just look at the target and trust your muscle memory to deliver and it comes out of your hand like magic. When you find a power grip that works for you and feels comfortable, try to stick with it for a while and tweak as needed. When practicing, note how firm you grasp the disc, a grip lock will cause some nasty late releases and are usually very powerful, bad combo. Also choose a disc that is comfortable to hold! Do all of your thinking during practice, then play a round without all the critique. I suggest practicing in a field, focusing on a new aspect that needs work each day. Practice only backhands for a few days, no keeping score, just practice throws. Take it one aspect of the throw at a time. At the end of the week play a round just for fun and let your body do it's thing to see how much your backhand has improved. You will be amazed.

I hope any of this helps even a little, as I am still developing a solid backhand as well and know how awkward it feels coming from the more natural feeling forehand style. Please take it with a grain of salt as well since these tips are coming from a one year and some change player. They are what have helped me not totally suck at backhands anymore and have put me on the right track.

P.s. Slow it way down :)

I watched a 3 part series of videos on practicing a BH throw but I cannot seem to find them again. Anyway, it had me go through a step approach to creating a good form for throwing. It talked about "reaching back to grab a door frame" to put you in the correct stance. Then the steps. And practice, practice, practice. After watching the videos and spending hours on the soccer fields throwing over and over again, I was able to increase my drive from 150' to 320' in a month or so. I think the best thing that improved my drive was just practicing the form and being consistent in it. After 6 months, I can release the disc in the same direction every time where as before sometimes it would be off to the right or left and I was always hitting trees.

Slowing down makes sense. I think my problem is only trying BH drives when I need them and needing results from them. Playing a few rounds only BH seems like what I need to do and just know before that my score will be even more terrible than usual lol. Thanks for the tips.

Keep it slow and smooth. I too started learning backhand just a few months ago and the best thing I ever did was take all of my high speed stuff out of my bag, (everything over speed 6) and just focus on form and fluidity and I'm feeling pretty good about my progress. Play one disc rounds with a putter or nice understable midrange. Playing with slower speed and understable discs will help to show the flaws in your form. Good luck!

Latest posts