• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hits to ESPN

waynewf

Double Eagle Member
They can't ignore the sport forever can they? Timber had a good idea that if everyone on this site went to espn once a day and did some relevant searches for things like "disc golf," "USDGA Championship" etc., that we might be able to generate some coverage.

So if you're down, just add a post here everytime you do an espn search...let's see if we can get over 10,000 searches for the month!!! A month or 2 like that and you'd think there would be no way ESPN would continue to ignore it....

Interesting idea. Not sure if it'll work, but I did a handful of searches.

They can't ignore the sport forever can they? Timber had a good idea that if everyone on this site went to espn once a day and did some relevant searches for things like "disc golf," "USDGA Championship" etc., that we might be able to generate some coverage.

So if you're down, just add a post here everytime you do an espn search...let's see if we can get over 10,000 searches for the month!!! A month or 2 like that and you'd think there would be no way ESPN would continue to ignore it....

"Disc Golf" x1
"USDGA Championship" x1... but this is what it pulled up...
This search was auto-corrected to "usga championship".

Wayne, I'm going to do this just to help demonstrate what a worthless waste of time it is.

Searching "disc golf" got me a blog entry about a summer camp with a nine hole disc golf course. Other than that just stuff about regular "golf" and players with ruptured "discs". I did a search on Avery Jenkins and got back a bunch of results regarding fantasy football.

Which really drives the ugly reality home. The mainstream sports media is more enamored with fake football than it is with real disc golf.

I just did 6 searches related to disc golf on espn.com. Of course nothing came up related to any of them, but this sounds like a great idea and I hope everyone follows through. My searches included (not exact, just ideas for some people) disc golf, PDGA, USDGA championships, Nate Doss, disc golf 2009 worlds, innova discs, discraft ace race, etc.

Wayne, I'm going to do this just to help demonstrate what a worthless waste of time it is.

Searching "disc golf" got me a blog entry about a summer camp with a nine hole disc golf course. Other than that just stuff about regular "golf" and players with ruptured "discs". I did a search on Avery Jenkins and got back a bunch of results regarding fantasy football.

Which really drives the ugly reality home. The mainstream sports media is more enamored with fake football than it is with real disc golf.

That is true, but if they see a sudden spike in people interested in disc golf they are going to give it a try. If that means calling in Nate Doss or Avery Jenkins for a talk show THAT HELPS. If it means asking them a few questions and putting it in a small column in a magazine THAT HELPS. If it means not changing your pdga search to pga THAT HELPS. It's worth a try either way, you realize that as you pledged to do it.

It might be a waste as far as getting back anything that actually relates to DG but most large companies like ESPN have guys using Google Analytics or WebTrends to pull information just like this so their marketing department can see what folks are searching for. Here is a link to a Google Insights page showing hits for "disc golf" since 2004. Also check the Top Searches and Rising Searches at the bottom.

http://www.google.com/insights/search/#q=disc golf&cmpt=q

I'm running late for work but someone should get this started on the PDGA discussion board and on other, more localized discussion boards.

good idea, we should just send espn videos and hope some are sweet enough to air on sportscenter

I would love to one day see more videos like the sweden promo video... The quality on that was amazing. Plus the added bonus of being about disc golf :)

I did 1/2 dozen searches - all but the last came up with gibberish. The last one had a link to the PDGA site with a rather snide off the cuff remark.
The searches I did were:
"World Disc Golf Championship" The first item that came up was about foosball
"Disc Golf"
"Frisbee Golf"
"Disc Sports" Yielded an article about Ultimate
"United States Disc Golf Championship / USDGC" Got nothing
"Professional Disc Golf Association" had disc golf included as one option an Augusta Resident might have the other 51 weeks of the year the Masters is not in town............"if you're into that sort of thing"

well if they have fantasy bass fishing....

ESPN: Repot a Bug...

"Whenever I type in "PDGA" as in "Professional Disc Golf Association" your site tries to auto correct me to some "PGA" acronym. Also, after many searches it seems your site is missing the entire section on Disc Golf. Hope this gets fixed soon. "

Searched a few different DG terms. Too many things about bass fishing...

ESPN: Repot a Bug...

"Whenever I type in "PDGA" as in "Professional Disc Golf Association" your site tries to auto correct me to some "PGA" acronym. Also, after many searches it seems your site is missing the entire section on Disc Golf. Hope this gets fixed soon. "

Excellent idea, I sent in a bug report too.

Hit it up again for a few searches...interestingly enough, when I did a search on Ken Climo, I found this little tidbit on a bass fishing post....

"It's the shoes

Ken Climo, the top-ranked disc golfer in the world, recently signed a deal with Bite Footwear to wear the sport's first footwear specifically designed for disc golfers.

You know what disc golf is? It's a fancy game of Frisbee.

Why hasn't some fishing pro (or his or her agent) made similar progress with someone like Nike or Reebok? Food for thought… "

Now I know a lot of people like to fish...but competetively as in a sport that is shown on TV?!?!?!? We can do better than this guys and girls:)

Latest posts