• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Hitting yourself with your disc

damtroll

Par Member
I was playing a casual round at Lester Lorch - Beaver last week (very fun course by the way) and for some odd reason found myself in the rough on Hole 10. While throwing an overhead shot to get out of the rough, my Stratus hit a vine, and came directly back to me and hit me in the forearm. Now I know this was a casual round, and I wasn't keeping score, but in tournament play, what would the penalty be? Just wondering for future reference.

I was playing a casual round at Lester Lorch - Beaver last week (very fun course by the way) and for some odd reason found myself in the rough on Hole 10. While throwing an overhead shot to get out of the rough, my Stratus hit a vine, and came directly back to me and hit me in the forearm. Now I know this was a casual round, and I wasn't keeping score, but in tournament play, what would the penalty be? Just wondering for future reference.

No penalty. Play on from where it came to rest.

What about, as instinct, you grab the disc to stop it from hitting you, then promptly let it go?

Safety is paramount. If you're about to get hit, or even if someone else is about to get hit, you can try to block it for protection. Then play it from where it lies.

Same goes for incidental contact. You should always try to get out of the way if possible, but if a disc hits you or your bag (assuming it's properly placed somewhere behind your lie), simply play it as it lies.

ahhh ok... I thought a disc hitting a bag was a grounds for penalty. but after further reading:

C. Any player who consciously alters the course of a thrown disc, or consciously moves or obscures another player's thrown disc at rest or a marker disc, other than by the action of a competitively thrown disc or in the process of identification, shall receive two penalty throws, without a warning, if observed by any two players or an official.

Latest posts