• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Home course is getting yanked next year (Lighthouse in CO)

Twmccoy

* Ace Member *
I live south of Denver, CO. Littleton. In my area there's only 1 real course within about 10 miles (Lighthouse at County Line Rd. and Holly). The course has been there since before I started playing in 2004. I just found out that the parks and rec district that runs the course is re-purposing the land for a giant ice arena sometime early next year.

This sucks. I love this course and I know a lot of other people do too. The course is in a hilly sagebrush covered field that is full of snakes, hawks, and other wildlife. I wouldn't be so irritated if there were other DG options in the area. Most courses in the Denver area seem to be well north or west of Denver.

Does anyone else on here play this course? Any feedback?

Littleton only has 1 course? Clicking on the map, I got 34 courses within 20 miles of downtown. It stinks losing your favorite course. At least you have plenty of other options in your community.

I live south of Denver, CO. Littleton. In my area there's only 1 real course within about 10 miles (Lighthouse at County Line Rd. and Holly). The course has been there since before I started playing in 2004. I just found out that the parks and rec district that runs the course is re-purposing the land for a giant ice arena sometime early next year.

This sucks. I love this course and I know a lot of other people do too. The course is in a hilly sagebrush covered field that is full of snakes, hawks, and other wildlife. I wouldn't be so irritated if there were other DG options in the area. Most courses in the Denver area seem to be well north or west of Denver.

Sorry to hear it. From what I hear we are losing Ryan Ranch near Monterey to have a solar farm built. Upside is there will be more disc golf traffic at the CSUMB courses which I enjoy more anyways. Also I have to drive over an hour to get to a disc golf course (unless I am working, then it's only 20 minutes). You will find a way, we all do.

I live in south Denver, very close to village greens DGC, and while I agree it sucks to lose lighthouse we are very blessed to have plenty other courses nearby. The south side has plenty of little 9-holers to get a little fix in and I'd imagine you could get to Village greens, Parker or Fehringer within 20-30 minutes.
I had my home course pulled when I lived in DFW TX (Bear Creek DGC) and it was almost the same story- the course was right by me, it was a pretty old course, was always crowded with players, aaaaaand got pulled for a dog park as decided by the city board. I was VERY bummed at first but I grew to love the close 9-hole course more and slowly got used to going a little further to play 18.
Yea it sucks but just as we have to accept our favorite discs coming and going, the same has to be said of courses.
Before you get too upset though, consider places like Brockness mentioned where losing your course=losing disc golf in your town.

I had heard about Lighthouse closing back in Feb. Not the greatest course, but I played a number of rounds there and had some good memories of golfing with my friends. It is a shame to lose your home course, but I'm sure that proprety is so valuable that the course was doomed eventually (like one of our local favorite courses). There seems to be a few things happening in Parker-- not too far. Maybe they will get a quality 18 holes somewhere over there soon.

Littleton only has 1 course? Clicking on the map, I got 34 courses within 20 miles of downtown. It stinks losing your favorite course. At least you have plenty of other options in your community.

Littleton is a sprawling area. There technically are other courses around, but many of them are "pitch and putts" or otherwise not full size. The area where I live seems to be pretty much devoid of real courses.

Sorry to hear it. From what I hear we are losing Ryan Ranch near Monterey to have a solar farm built. Upside is there will be more disc golf traffic at the CSUMB courses which I enjoy more anyways. Also I have to drive over an hour to get to a disc golf course (unless I am working, then it's only 20 minutes). You will find a way, we all do.

I got bad poison oak at some course in Monterey once. Over by the Del Monte mall. Great looking course, but poison oak all over.

I got bad poison oak at some course in Monterey once. Over by the Del Monte mall. Great looking course, but poison oak all over.

Don Dahvee Open Space, it is pretty much a homeless encampment now:gross:

In the Denver Metro area in general, we seem to be losing more courses than are going in. It's too bad that the Parks and Rec people think we want park land, when we really want something similar to The Aviary in the Springs. Type of land where they cannot build anything else and the course will stand for some time.

In the Denver Metro area in general, we seem to be losing more courses than are going in. It's too bad that the Parks and Rec people think we want park land, when we really want something similar to The Aviary in the Springs. Type of land where they cannot build anything else and the course will stand for some time.

Yeah, I'm a little surprised they're going to use the land Lighthouse occupies for something else. Its kind of a cool area with rolling hills and sagebrush with a creek running around the perimeter. I see a lot of wildlife out there too.

I know the Denver metro has a lot of courses, but none of them are near me (at least no good ones, anyway). I figure once Lighthouse goes I'd have to drive at least a half hour to find some good DG.

A lot of places around here throw up a few baskets and call themselves a course. Schools and such.

Why not partner with the city to install the baskets somewhere else and build a high quality course? I am sure you could find several course designers to help if that seems overwhelming. Form a group or club to help if you want to do the work yourselves. If the local disc golfers build it it will be better than what the city would install.

Don't panic just yet!

One of our best courses around here utilizes the land around an ice rink. Because of the size of the operation there now, the course sees a lot of mowing. Maybe if you stay positive, start making friends and trying to work with the new crew a whole new opportunity will present itself, and an even better course will come of it.

I know what you mean, my local in town course might loose 4 baskets on an 18 hole course Steamboat Park if a Water Treatment plant goes in there to treat water directly from the Missouri River. I can think of other places it could go that are city property and not in the way like that place is of the disc golf course, a Hotel and conference/small convention center and a nearby house that is as close to the park as one can legally be. Also the course might loose a 5th hole, the easiest in the park course to New Bridge construction. I am fine with that one going but the other 4 are the best and toughest on the course.

Latest posts