• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Homemade Disc Water Retrievers.

LeBryson James

Double Eagle Member
I looked online and on this site and saw a product that is around $25 that is named a golden retriever. I looked at the product and thought, "I can make that with old stuff in the shed." Sure enough I made me one out of an end of a metal rake, safety clip, a 3' metal chain, and a metal dog leash. It is around 10 pounds of stuff and it barely fits in my competition bag. Well I did a first run at a course and retrieved 5 total discs in a pond. 3 in water, and 2 in the water grass stuff. There was some trial and error and I am planning on making some modifications. (Lighter, easier to see, easier to throw, etc.) But the largest problem I encountered the majority of the time was that the rake will go over the disc in the water rather than get under it and drag it to shore. I am wanting to know some opinions and some other peoples "inventions" so feel free to share.

Pictures are a bonus. I'll post my pictures of before and after modifications later.

I wouldn't say exactly 10lbs but it is pretty heavy and a hassle to carry a full round. I am thinking about going to rope only and may shave and re-weld the rake part. Yeah it seems to be over doing things but it gives me something to play with.

GR's are just to light and they fold up into nothing. I'm not knocking your work, but I'd just drop the $25 and be done with it. They work well with minimal effort........

Id like to add, be careful while using the rake head. As I can imagine that working decently.. it could still scrape the bottom and drag mud/other things at the bottom of the water over you disc. Ultimately making you lose the disc, unless you jumped in to look for it. Which kinda defeats the purpose of having a retriever in the first place. Agree with every one else though, if you get tired of working on this... spending the money on a GR is very well worth it.

I definitely will spend the money on one if I get tired of fiddling around. Till then I'll keep doing a trial and error until I get it right or fail entirely. There is only 1 water hazard on 1 hole from all the courses within 45 minutes from where I live and you have to have a really really really bad shank to go into it. So I only take my Retriever on road trips where I know there is water. But thanks for comments guys and keep em coming!

Untested Disc Dredge

Howdy,

There are several water hazards on my local course, and as it is too cold to dive in during the winter, I put this together hoping to pull some plastic out. I have yet to run support rope from the arms to the center support.

The teeth are 3/8" threads that are 12" long. They are adjustable to accommodate for thick vegetation. I'll let you know how it works.

Cheers,

Jason

Attachments

• DiscRake1.jpg
    DiscRake1.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Discs.jpg
    Discs.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 76
I almost made this some thread a bit ago! lol.

I would like some input on a problem I have.

On one of my local courses I have a very deep 12ft ish deep dark and murkey water hole with steep sides.........I have lost countless discs as well as my buddies as I am sure tons of others have. It is jam packed full of turtles and other things so no one goes into it. Really want to make something that could possibly retrieve some discs from it........any ideas?

On one of my local courses I have a very deep 12ft ish deep dark and murkey water hole with steep sides.........I have lost countless discs as well as my buddies as I am sure tons of others have. It is jam packed full of turtles and other things so no one goes into it. Really want to make something that could possibly retrieve some discs from it........any ideas?

There are a few threads about making hommeade retrieval devices.
Check out this thread.
You can modify the design to meet your needs/materials/budget.

Last edited:

Is this the deep bend of the creek at Audubon that has the fallen tree in it? If so, give it up. Too dangerous and the tree snags anything you try to "fish" with. Deeper than 12 feet too. I used to swim in it when I was a kid and the tree was on the bank and used as a support for a rope swing.

Is this the deep bend of the creek at Audubon that has the fallen tree in it? If so, give it up. Too dangerous and the tree snags anything you try to "fish" with. Deeper than 12 feet too. I used to swim in it when I was a kid and the tree was on the bank and used as a support for a rope swing.

Nope. I wouldn't think that many people throw into the water at the bon. Just have to watch hole 5 ( and getting you disc out of the water on that hole is cake ) and a few holes on the back where you could over putt into that water.