• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How can local tournaments be better?

This is my second year playing in tournaments so maybe I'm not an expert but the problem is there are way too many events, and they are too expensive. In 2022 there were far less tournaments to enter so if you didn't sign up in the first 10-15 minutes, it was full. but in 2023 it was not uncommon for there to be 2-3 events every weekend, within a 20-30 mile radius, all competing to draw players from the same regional pool. To do that, they jacked up the players packs and increased prices. $60 dollar C-tiers are common, and some of them only have a players pack, no prizes. This has caused a noticeable dropoff in the quality of events, as tournament directors are exhausted and begging for people to enter their half-full events.

I also think I'm going to stop playing in the Age-protected am divisions. It's ridiculous to have a 200 point ratings difference in the same division. The age divisions are fun if everyone everyone is relatively competitive, but invariably someone shows up from out of town at the last minute who is 50 points higher than everyone else and the day is ruined. Nobody who is rated 950 should be playing in MA50. Sorry, i realize maybe you're eligible, but what's the point other than adding another win to your stats and picking up another $20 disc? Next year I'm sticking to MA2 or MA3 where everybody is competitive and you don't have people swooping in from out of town to beat up on the locals who are just trying to have fun.

It's ridiculous to have a 200 point ratings difference in the same division. The age divisions are fun if everyone everyone is relatively competitive, but invariably someone shows up from out of town at the last minute who is 50 points higher than everyone else and the day is ruined. Nobody who is rated 950 should be playing in MA50. Sorry, i realize maybe you're eligible, but what's the point other than adding another win to your stats and picking up another $20 disc? Next year I'm sticking to MA2 or MA3 where everybody is competitive and you don't have people swooping in from out of town to beat up on the locals who are just trying to have fun.
How many times has that happened to you? It seems oddly specific.

Clean air would be nice. Have yet to play with my teen son in a local tournament were I would not be that guy aka the "bad guy" for asking people not to smoke on the t's green's and fairways.

How many times has that happened to you? It seems oddly specific.
Happens at least half the time. I think we should just do away with age groups unless you're a pro. Amateurs should just play MA1-4 regardless of age.

Latest posts