• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How can local tournaments be better?

Not saying its a bad idea for a TD to have an epipen on hand but... this seems like a real headache (not to mention expense) for the TD.

As a player, if I were allergic to bee stings, I'd make sure I carried my own EpiPen with me.

Sure, it'd be nice for the TD to have one, but I completely think this is on the individual player.
Also they're expensive and expire and lose effectiveness depending on how they're stored.

We spent a couple years asking for player feedback. Here are some common themes, along with some success stories.

-Unique, quality player pack items.
-Organized, staffed, on time player check in
-Someone available to only answer questions and problem solve
-Effective and accurate information....start times, cyber player meeting/caddie book, QR codes on signs for tournament announcements and UDisc/PDGA Live scoring, clear/concise course information...OB, holes, tees....
-Timely card set up and postings
-Awards and trophies AS SOON AS THE DIVISION FINISHES
-Keep break between rounds to an hour
-Get players in and out of the event
-Offer a "player experience" at our A Tiers
-Offer a large, varied payout selection
-Make sure bathrooms are made available
-Offer a diverse player experience, ensuring all groups have a great time [ams, age protected, female and pros...though we don't really involve them often]
-A clean, groomed, well marked course

Not saying its a bad idea for a TD to have an epipen on hand but... this seems like a real headache (not to mention expense) for the TD.

As a player, if I were allergic to bee stings, I'd make sure I carried my own EpiPen with me.

Sure, it'd be nice for the TD to have one, but I completely think this is on the individual player.

I have seen someone end up in the emergency room as a result. Big headache for the TD.

You do raise very valid points. I would rather see a epipen than a fire extinguisher that was originally proposed.

I don't expect much from C-tiers but I do think the following are minimums:
  • posting a tentative schedule to the event registration when creating the event
  • reasonable entry costs for the payout structure and course
    • Open/*A1/Masters divisions should be around (combined par or SSA for all rounds / 2) and discount 5-10% for other AM/JR other divisions
    • pass through/add on (club/course/parks/TD) fees should be known upfront when players are registering
  • communication through multiple channels (not just FB event/group but also DGScene + emails) leading up to, during, and after the event
  • operational bathrooms in a number suitable for the field
    • some parks close down permanent bathrooms or don't provide year round port-a-johns
  • some water available at points - not a fan of just throwing bottled water out but also don't like common source water jugs either
  • course layout & well written rules provided the week of the tournament
    • matching what is input for the PDGA scoring for sanctioned
    • suitable layout for divisions offered and field size
      • avoid backups and challenge the field
    • ensure these course rules share the same terminology as the tee signs with respect to pin positions and tee pads.
    • course doesn't need to be set till day of
      • players should know and be able to practice layout without baskets in place
  • brief player meeting with any specifics emphasized for the layout if necessary
  • appropriate awards presentation recognizing the winners
    • gather everyone present and have photos taken relatively quickly
  • post/submit results & payouts in a timely manner w/ a notification email upon completion

TDs should be organized and have a planned schedule of events to check off while being prepared for potential issues (weather/player safety) that may come up.

-Offer a diverse player experience, ensuring all groups have a great time [ams, age protected, female and pros...though we don't really involve them often]
Fantastic list, thank you. Why do you not include professional players in the diverse player experience? Are your events more amateur oriented? Why?

I don't expect much from C-tiers but I do think the following are minimums:
  • posting a tentative schedule to the event registration when creating the event
  • reasonable entry costs for the payout structure and course
    • Open/*A1/Masters divisions should be around (combined par or SSA for all rounds / 2) and discount 5-10% for other AM/JR other divisions
    • pass through/add on (club/course/parks/TD) fees should be known upfront when players are registering
  • communication through multiple channels (not just FB event/group but also DGScene + emails) leading up to, during, and after the event
  • operational bathrooms in a number suitable for the field
    • some parks close down permanent bathrooms or don't provide year round port-a-johns
  • some water available at points - not a fan of just throwing bottled water out but also don't like common source water jugs either
  • course layout & well written rules provided the week of the tournament
    • matching what is input for the PDGA scoring for sanctioned
    • suitable layout for divisions offered and field size
      • avoid backups and challenge the field
    • ensure these course rules share the same terminology as the tee signs with respect to pin positions and tee pads.
    • course doesn't need to be set till day of
      • players should know and be able to practice layout without baskets in place
  • brief player meeting with any specifics emphasized for the layout if necessary
  • appropriate awards presentation recognizing the winners
    • gather everyone present and have photos taken relatively quickly
  • post/submit results & payouts in a timely manner w/ a notification email upon completion

TDs should be organized and have a planned schedule of events to check off while being prepared for potential issues (weather/player safety) that may come up.
Trying to change this, locally at least. Getting frustrated with C-Tier events being treated as a league round. It's tainting the experience for B and A-Tiers also. With the lack of a quality experience at the lowest level, it makes people feel like they can get away with running a sub-par event.

Trying to change this, locally at least. Getting frustrated with C-Tier events being treated as a league round. It's tainting the experience for B and A-Tiers also. With the lack of a quality experience at the lowest level, it makes people feel like they can get away with running a sub-par event.
C-tiers should be a very low barrier to entry option for both competitors and TDs to try out for a sanctioned event. The logistics, time commitment, and finances usually come to head and most people do not even attempt organizing any events since the typical reward is often negative reviews from the most outspoken individuals and negative funds in their personal bank accounts.

I would ask you what constitutes a 'par' event? Do you have experience with other sports events that have set an expectation for what a 'par' event is?

C-tiers should be a very low barrier to entry option for both competitors and TDs to try out for a sanctioned event. The logistics, time commitment, and finances usually come to head and most people do not even attempt organizing any events since the typical reward is often negative reviews from the most outspoken individuals and negative funds in their personal bank accounts.

I would ask you what constitutes a 'par' event? Do you have experience with other sports events that have set an expectation for what a 'par' event is?
I'm not sure about your area, but 90% of all events around me are C-Tiers. We only have two A-Tiers in the state, and maybe 3 B-Tiers throughout the year. I think even the lowest level events should be run well and smoothly, especially if it could be someone's first or if they are the most critical of people.

Fantastic list, thank you. Why do you not include professional players in the diverse player experience? Are your events more amateur oriented? Why?
We run a sizable club.....5 leagues and a half dozen tournaments or more. We simply can make more money and provide a better player experience on AM events. Our league focuses on the gambit of AM players in the area, so it is this club membership we strive to cater to. There are terrific pro opportunities for leagues and tournament play, in our area, as well.

How can your local tournaments be better? What can tournament directors do for amateur and professional division to make local C-Tier events better?

It seems people in my region have transitioned from running good tournaments, to trying to sell frisbees. They aren't doing any of the back-end work to make the event better.

Have you noticed this locally? What can the TD do to make the event a better quality? What can be done to make sure you have a better experience?

Flags and paint on the OB Lines?
Florescent markers at C1 edge?
Paper caddy books for C-Tiers?
In person, or video players meeting?
On-site lunch options?
Better trophies?

I want to run higher quality events in my area and worry less about moving product.
I would say that more Tournament Directors should offer the RAG (Purple). As a beginner, I find it much more competitive and fun competing within skill level/rating levels.

It seems the local tournaments around here have gone away from player packs and toward merchandise got am's. I'm not sure if this is good or bad. It causes people to play down a division to win more "funny money."

An option I've been thinking about is cheap, trophy only am divisions with players pack and no merchandise payout.

Around here we call it playing your rating. IMO, we shouldn't be stigmatizing the lower divisions and encouraging lesser skilled players to move up a division to donate to that payout.