• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] How do I identify an understable destroyer?

Worn ones with scuffed surfaces, lower wing heights, flatter tops, more flexible plastic, lighter weights. All these factors and maybe more play in simultaneously so you have to be able to tell by eye, it takes some experience.

What he said.

The destruclan topped ones are considerably less stable than AJ but its still going to fade back.. maybe try beating in a pro destroyer.

Pro Destroyer or G* is what you are looking for. Or the first runs of Avery stamped ones(two lines, not three) that are flat and gummy and 170ish. Or a *D if you have the coin.

Flat and low PLH is the key. Domey Destroyers of any kind tend to be overstable.

How are the g* Destroyers coming out in terms of dome? Relatively flat since it sounds like an understable run? Or the typical level of variance?

Variable. I had a megadome that flew like a beat up destroyer after seeing some trees but started off with just a hint of turn. You can find them from flattish (haven't seen a flat one yet) to huge dome, have not seen any with plh as high as a nicely os star destroyer but most what I see is not understable by any means either.

Beat in pro is the way to go unless u happen to find a super low plh star one. I have 3 gstars flat to domey none are understable but they fly like the numbers

Yeah some *Ds destroyer are starlite. I think I have a few orange ones marked same as yours. U got any cal tbs?

I would agree that pro destroyers are longer and last a long time

1nwpvz.jpg

:p:D

From what I have found there is no way to tell, from all I have with the 2 Champion Destroyers they are 3 grams different or were when new. The Discs one with the flat to dome or Distructulan top at 167 grams should be more OS due to its tall nose plate height, the fact it was a just below average dome height if it were regular domed Distructulan top and it is not that OS more the way it does the mini Flex shot that all Destroyer discs should do. Then I have a 170 gram Champion Destroyer that should fly like good as it is average dome with low nose plate height and all the features that should make for a good Destroyer and the disc flies like a an Xcalibur with that shot shape the way a longbow strung up flies. Now unless that 170 gram Champion Destroyer disc is at 175 grams as has happened with Innova on how off the weights are, I say it is impossible to tell a good Destroyer. Same for all the Innova molds past a 5 speed or past a driver like midrange. Innova is currently in a lets sell hot garbage mode including other molds, even Discmania and Millennium from what I am reading, hearing, and seeing online and elsewhere from the molds made by Innova are generally more consistent discs in the runs.

Impossible to tell the type of Destroyer you want in the flight. The molds currently from Innova need to be tested before you buy them to see if you are getting a good Innova stamped disc or hot garbage.

Absolutely incorrect. Wing shape and PLH will determine stability.

Look up Doth Savek YouTube video on destroyers , it's a great and thorough explanation

Yes. Doth Savek's video is the best on this topic. If you don't wanna watch the whole thing, here's my main takeaway that I've used to find the flippiest Raptor Ricky's:
-Typically (but not exclusively) the money weight is 170, give or take a gram(s).
-If you want just straight up understability, the less domey the better (but if you find the right one it can BOMBB.)
-The key, though, lies in the wing. The flatter the wing, the more understable it'll be. In Doth Savek's video, he compares wings of different Raptor Ricky's, and one of them actually has a slightly convex wing. So there's a LOT of variability in this particular one. So if you can get to the shop (or Dick's, I've found a couple good ones there too) just take like your house key and hold the flat side to the wing, and find the wing that's the flushest to the flat edge of your key.

Yes. Doth Savek's video is the best on this topic. If you don't wanna watch the whole thing, here's my main takeaway that I've used to find the flippiest Raptor Ricky's:
-Typically (but not exclusively) the money weight is 170, give or take a gram(s).
-If you want just straight up understability, the less domey the better (but if you find the right one it can BOMBB.)
-The key, though, lies in the wing. The flatter the wing, the more understable it'll be. In Doth Savek's video, he compares wings of different Raptor Ricky's, and one of them actually has a slightly convex wing. So there's a LOT of variability in this particular one. So if you can get to the shop (or Dick's, I've found a couple good ones there too) just take like your house key and hold the flat side to the wing, and find the wing that's the flushest to the flat edge of your key.

I agree with this. I've thrown 2 Ricky raptor Destroyers. Both had a flat wing, and both were on the understable side. I won't say they were fippy, but they'd turn a little and actually hold the turn without wanting to fade hard late.

I try to avoid flat Destroyers. More often than not they're really beefy and glideless. A lot of McBeth Destroyers were flat and horribly overstable.

Looking for a flat wing is what anyone should do first if they want a somewhat understable Destroyer. You almost have to buy discs in person so you can examine each disc to see what the wing looks like. We all know that Destroyers can vary widely.

Since this thread was resurrected from the grave......

Moose, is a TeeDevil still your recommendation here?

They are pretty hard to find these days, might rec a DDX or lighter G*. Tresspass if don't mind Trillogy.

DDX is actually a pretty good recommendation for a less stable Destroyer. DDXs are a little flatter and have a shallower rim. They'll turn over in flight, but always seem to come back well late.

With Champion I have found that the mold in genral has more glide then Star as some with the Distructulan or Dome to flat top fly the way the chart shows on Innova.com with glide. The standard Champion discs have less to almost 0 discs that end up with the straight wings in runs due to how fewer runs of the mold is rushed and you will find more of the mold like the wing the mold is supposed to have. Most people assume the Champion Desyroyer is garbage glidless turd in the entire mold but not true, however they can be so beefy the mold is molded up the same as an average Xcalibur disc. This probably stems from that they tried the Champion glow Pro touring model that Philo B had or the Las Vegas PDGA event glow Champion discs that was once a NT or PT event. Yes Glow will make some molds fly with less glide as evidenced by the glow Champion Gator. The Higher dome rule though stands, as higher dome the more OS and with the average dome in Champion the mold is almost an Xcalibur and some end up molding up like an Xcalibur wing and dome to the point the mold is a Champion Xcalibur with a Destroyer stamp.

However the rules on the Plate height are ? as that does not seem to affect the disc flight or if it does it is so subtle I can't tell a difference.

Latest posts