• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How do you add spin to a forehand throw?

Toddinski

Bogey Member
So let me start this post off with a little story. The other day, me and my friend who I disc golf with all the time were hanging out at my uncles island skipping rocks into the river. He is a forehand player, and to nobody's surprise he was skipping rocks way farther than I was. I decided to try back handing a rock to see what would happen.

It was this that gave me a huge parallel between skipping rocks and disc golf. Throwing a rock with the exact same form, I could see actual flights out of it. I was even throwing tomahawk just for fun (with some success).

Hopefully I'm not rambling on. So after a while, I was actually able to work out some form flaws. Lighter rocks would turn over, I could add a throwing angle and make it flip to flat. Then I compared my forehand throws to my friend's. You could see that it was barely spinning in comparison, I still had grip issues. Some throws would have late/early releases.

My conclusion was that my form was hugely lacking spin, and I was basically throwing my arm out for no reason.

TL;DR, how do you guys add spin to your forehand shots? How do you power up or down your throws? If I were to scrap my throw entirely, what would you tell me to focus on?

Thanks for reading.

I've been making fh gains recently and eliminating wobble by applying the same fundamentals as bh. Straight line pull(don't round behind yourself on reachback), keep hand on far side of disc as long as possible, and don't let go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I think this might be oversimplification, but I don't think there's much benefit to focusing on "spin," as an end. Focus on good arm motion and grip/release, and spin will come naturally.

Have you ever thrown a football or baseball? Pretty tough to throw them well without imparting a decent amount of spin. I think that principle translates nicely to disc sports as well...

As for some practical tips, I'd say start working on forehand with anything but drivers. Even fairway drivers are a bit fast. Start by throwing discs lightly, maybe playing catch with a friend using a neutral putter or even an UltraStar. I think it helps with wrist mechanics, and when you're comfortable with that you can move up to higher speed and more overstable stuff.

Disc golf forehand is not like skipping a rock on the water.

From a top-down perspective, a disc golf disc thrown forehand, will be spinning counter-clockwise; a rock thrown 'forehand' for skipping, will be spinning clockwise.

Spin from a forehanded disc comes from your fingers pushing off the rim of the disc, but your fingers are pushing on the outer half of the longitudinal axis parallel to the direction of travel. Skipping a rock, your finger pushes on the inner half from that axis, so that you're sort of 'missing' the center of the rock so that it spins away from your finger. Almost like a turbo-putt but pushing off the inner half.

I throw FH the same as skipping stones or throwing a football sidearm with spiral or a submarine pitch/infield grounder throw to first base. The length of my weightshift/swing dictates the velocity.

These guys know way more than me, but Im a big FH player and Im curious exactly what type of grip you're using for your FH throws. A picture of your FH grip might be a good starting point.

These guys know way more than me, but Im a big FH player and Im curious exactly what type of grip you're using for your FH throws. A picture of your FH grip might be a good starting point.

I've tried using all of the grips to see what's comfortable. My most consistent grip is to stack my fingers against the rim, with the side of my finger touching the rim as opposed to the pad as I've heard other people do. When I switch to midranges or putters I move my index finger out to make a peace sign.

That might be part of the problem there. The pad of your finger should be against the rim. I used the peace sign grip when I started, and moved to the stacked to get more spin, but only after my overall mechanics and control improved while using the peace sign grip. Now I switch between the two grips depending on how much juice I'm trying to give it.

Yeah, for me it's finger pads on the rim, I use Avery's power grip.

Pretend or actually hold a knife in a fist. Imagine you need to cut a perfectly horizontal line in the wall.
Keep that motion, straightened out your pointer and middle finger, keep them together, and tuck them against the disc rim.
Roll the disc back into the thumb/pointer nook firmly. That's where the disc spins off of when you throw.

Pretend or actually hold a knife in a fist. Imagine you need to cut a perfectly horizontal line in the wall.
Keep that motion, straightened out your pointer and middle finger, keep them together, and tuck them against the disc rim.
Roll the disc back into the thumb/pointer nook firmly. That's where the disc spins off of when you throw.

That sounds like a good drill to try. I struggle with oat on my FH throws, so this will be something to visualize.

Seconding the modified power grip suggestion. I HATED it at first but after about a week I acclimated to the change quite nicely. It definitely improved all aspects of my FH and it allowed me to get some really nice FH upshots with a mid or putter.

This video from Dave Dunipace also led to a breakthrough. It's all about that steely wrist stop in conjunction with a good plant on line with your flight line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xa8QHevIGKs

I want a bullwhip, you want a bullwhip? Bullwhip? Three bullwhips...or was it orange whips? Anyway..I believe someone asked for forehand advice..(?) Brother, I've got plenty, none of it anything you can't find somewhere else or from someone else with more... how you say: accolades. I can have as much or more fun than the best of them though and this is how I throw: I use the peace sign when throwing putters and mids forehand, but I stack em when I'm driving um... drivers. Speaking of bullwhips, I like to think of the disc of choice as the business end of the bullwhip(my arm) and I'm trying to crack that f*er off(and I DO!). As with a backhand: aim and throw using your entire body, go slow to fast, keep a tight grip and a tight line through the body, lead with the elbow(this keeps your line tight, plus properly positions your hand for a palm up finish)and release the disc as afar away from you down your line(envisioned and properly prayed for flight path) as possible, I mean- reach for it like you want it. Don't hurl, be patient, wait until your weight gets behind the disc(you'll feel the resistance) before you start increasing speed with your arm. Well you asked.

How do you lead with the elbow when throwing forehand?
Starting with your arm reached back, just keep the elbow tight with your hips without trying to bring your hand forward. Your hand will follow your elbow, thus you will lead with your elbow. This adds an arc when your hand forces itself around your elbow, adding power+spin just like in a backhand. Backhand gets an extra arc because the wrist can curl and whip, but that is minimized in forehand.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Here is a short video I shot at the Mad City Open a couple weeks ago. This is a buddy of mine who absolutely crushes forehand throws:

Latest posts