• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

how do you do multicolor dyes?

I'm pretty new to dyeing discs about 10 discs under my belt and want to try some more colorful dyes. does anyone a forum threads that talk about how to do this, or maybe a video like the disc dyeing 101 and 102 series but for more complex dye jobs than the Scarface one in the video?

Yeah, I have never done multicolor, but you basically cut everything out as you normally would. But instead of taking it off, take off only the peices that the darkest colors are on. Dye those parts, remove, and go to your lighter colors. Keep doing it until your done basically...

I was about to ask the same question!

@mmyersdisc

That works if the dark colors are dark enough (like in the video with the Scarface disc), but is there any way to do it if you're using colors that would be affected by mixing? The only thing I can think of is to make multiple stencils and then just hope to line them up well enough, but that doesn't seem like it would be very reliable.

My first Dye was a multi-color dye and the guys that made the 101 and 102 videos do talk about it at one point. Basically you do the darker colors first and then remove more of the sign vinyl for lighter colors. A section that you have already made black will not change when you try and dye it blue as well.

I think you actually have to re-cover parts you've already dyed if you want a lot of colors. Dying lighter colors over black is fine but i wouldn't try applying, say, yellow over blue, You'll probably end up with green. I would suggest cutting strips of sign vinyl the size you need to cover the already dyed areas. Rinse the disc and let it dry completely then re-cover with your "patches".

Multi-Color work is very difficult guys. Takes a lot of time. Good Luck.

Attachments

• fhd dyed shit 007.jpg
    fhd dyed shit 007.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 87
I've done a couple of two-colored dyes lately and I've been taking the screen printing approach since that's what I used to design for. By that I mean you gotta think in color separations. Each color gets its own sheet of vinyl and lighter colors go down first so there is no chance overlap will show. The hard part is making it all line up right since with the vinyl you only get once chance to press it down. As of now I'm working out a system for making sure I can line each layer up on point and I got a 3 color design I'm working on cutting out tonight and tomorrow so we'll see how that works out.

I would assume if you have more then one color that might get affected by another you have to re stencil it, and when you do that make sure all air-bubbles are out of it and what not....I was hoping bears_rule would comment on it rather then just saying "its hard...good luck" and then posting a picture :p

If your desigin has an out-line do it first in black. Then I go back recover the whole disc and start cutting areas for the next color. If you use the clear contact paper you can see whats going on on the disc.

Attachments

• HPIM8247.jpg
    HPIM8247.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 40
  • HPIM8170.jpg
    HPIM8170.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 40
I can give you all small pointers but I really should not give up my trade secrets.

I do not use sign vinyl. I do not make multiple stencils. The dead disc was done in one stencil. The alice disc I did in two parts.

I can give you all small pointers but I really should not give up my trade secrets.

I do not use sign vinyl. I do not make multiple stencils. The dead disc was done in one stencil. The alice disc I did in two parts.

your one of those guys huh...lol...most of us hate the old timers in trades that have the idea of "im not telling anyone how to do the job becuase then they could take my job" instead of...hey this person can HELP ME do my job while im teaching them my ways, then when I move on or whatever, they will have someone like me still....;)

Wow, I was called one of those guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice, way to just go ahead and dog me out like that.

Look at my quote again, I believe I said I really should not give up my secrets.

I could have said something like I WILL NOT HELP YOU AT ALL.

My first post said it is hard good luck. My second post I actually began to give hints. Now my third post I have to defend my character or be known as that guy.

Patience is the key I can not stress the time it has taken to accomplish my work. I never intended to sum up months, hundreds of hours, and all the ruined bleeding discs I have endured in a few paragraphs.

Thanks, mmyersdisc.

I'm new to this as well and only done about 5 discs. I was thinking for the complex multicolors rather than using the dark first and hoping the other colors don't mix technique what about dyeing your main color first then peeling your second color vinly off and applying the dye ONLY to those areas as a thick paste? Just dilute the dye in very little water and basically paint it on only in the areas you want it. Anyone ever tried this?

Last edited:
Wow, I was called one of those guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nice, way to just go ahead and dog me out like that.

Look at my quote again, I believe I said I really should not give up my secrets.

I could have said something like I WILL NOT HELP YOU AT ALL.

My first post said it is hard good luck. My second post I actually began to give hints. Now my third post I have to defend my character or be known as that guy.

Patience is the key I can not stress the time it has taken to accomplish my work. I never intended to sum up months, hundreds of hours, and all the ruined bleeding discs I have endured in a few paragraphs.

Thanks, mmyersdisc.

Just wanted to see if I could get you to spill some of your secrets ;) ...lol, and I tend to judge a book by its cover, you do great work, I can't deny you of that..but instead of worrying about someone stealing business just help them out..give them some pointers..im not telling you to give us a DIY:Disc Dyeing tutorial (like chuck over on DiscGolfReview.com) but to each there own...:p ....wasn't trying to hurt your character image by any means

Thanks everybody you answered a lot of my questions. I feel a lot more comfortable trying multicolor dyes without breaking the bank with trails and errors.

I don't plan to sell the discs just like the idea of more personality then the standard hot stamps.

I have only sold discs here in Raliegh in person. So trust me when I say I am not holding back any tips or tricks to protect my business. I have no business and no website. I have already seen multiple discs with a tag for sale and none of my discs have that tag. My work so far has only been for Raleigh players and 1 friend in Chicago. So when it comes to stealing my business that is only something that you might have experienced in some other part of your life and does not apply to me.

Originally all I ever wanted was a kick ass Chicago Bears disc. How I ended up doing 40 color dyes is crazy and let's just say it involved a lot of the Chronic.

Here is a very simple way that any one can achieve how ever many colors they want. Just simply make 2 sheets of vinyl or contact with the same image and cut them both out the same way. Transfer tape one of them and apply to disc. Start with the smallest cutouts first pull them dye the area and recover with the same cutout from the second sheet of vinyl. Order of color does not matter, you can do light or dark first does not matter when your previous areas are recovered.

One tip that can help.
Before dipping, flex the disc and you will be able to see movement in any part of the vinyl not sealed properly. Look at vinyl from a flat angle and you will see parts lifting up. To ensure sealing use pressure on the edge of cutouts from above and below disc at the same time squeeze and rub and you will not bleed.

Good luck guys, do not bleed and ruin those multi-colors.

thanks for the info bear :)..I also want a bad ass bears disc but I don't have the time/patience right now to attempt one...my buddy would LOVE one since he is literally the biggest bears fan I know haha..

thank you!

OK "bears_rule" now that is what i'm talkin about! :)

I am so glad you leaked a little (or a lot) to help us out.

that makes a lot of sense, and is SO much better than trying to
do the "dark colors first" when trying to do more than 2 colors.

still, I don't know how many people will get even close to doing dyes
as good as yours..... To me , you worryin about spilling your secret is like Tiger Woods not wanting to give a pointer in fear some amateur is going to beat him in his next tourny. ;)

Latest posts