• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How far is average with proper technique?

Average distance depends on the group you're trying to average and can be looked at in many ways.

If you wanted to include all disc golfers (new people, kids, women, older people, pros, and everyone else) I'd venture to guess the average max distance is probably less than 300 feet.

If you wanted to look at average distance thrown on any course or hole then that number is likely going to be much lower, even at the top pro level. Lets say a top pro is playing a 650 foot hole. He throws 450 off the tee. With 200 feet left, he parks it with a 198 foot shot and drops in a 2 foot birdie putt. On that hole, his average distance per throw would be 216 feet. If you didn't want to count the putt his average for the first two throws was still only 324 feet.

Numbers are fascinating because you can manipulate them in many ways to get just about whatever answer you want.

From the partners I've played with in pick-up rounds, and granted that's over less than a year of playing, I think most people with decent form are regularly in the 270-300' range (like me). If we're talking the average of league regulars skewing things, then you're going to see higher averages. Same goes for people who post about disc golf on the Internet. They almost certainly throw farther than the disc golfing population because they're more interested in disc golf.

From the partners I've played with in pick-up rounds, and granted that's over less than a year of playing, I think most people with decent form are regularly in the 270-300' range (like me). If we're talking the average of league regulars skewing things, then you're going to see higher averages. Same goes for people who post about disc golf on the Internet. They almost certainly throw farther than the disc golfing population because they're more interested in disc golf.

I don't think a 270-300' thrower can claim to have decent form.

I don't think a 270-300' thrower can claim to have decent form.

I had a similar discussion with another forum user a while back. Younger players. older players can have good form and not be able to throw 300. I personally don't think good form always means far distance, I think it means relaxed, controlled throws that feel effortless.

I had a similar discussion with another forum user a while back. Younger players. older players can have good form and not be able to throw 300. I personally don't think good form always means far distance, I think it means relaxed, controlled throws that feel effortless.

I imagine good form to mean efficient, optimal use of the body. Of course that will change when the body breaks down. Until then, most all of us have the physical equipment needed to throw a disc far more than three hundred feet. If you can't do that you're not using the equipment to anything near its potential. My controlled, relaxed throws sure go more than 300' when I want them to, and I have nothing remotely resembling good form.

My controlled, relaxed throws sure go more than 300' when I want them to, and I have nothing remotely resembling good form.

I'm guessing "good form" is one of the most subjective terms in disc golf. The only thing that probably matters is a 1 second window at "the hit". How one leads up to that point might just might be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

"To the moon, Alice! To the moon!"

I'm guessing "good form" is one of the most subjective terms in disc golf. The only thing that probably matters is a 1 second window at "the hit". How one leads up to that point might just might be irrelevant in the grand scheme of things.

You're wrong.

You're wrong.

Reading through the Form Analysis/Critique section, I always thought you had really good form. Almost to the point of making me wonder what you were trying to fix.

I think you also said you throw Fairway Drivers out past 450, so do you think 400 is average, or somewhere beyond that?

Reading through the Form Analysis/Critique section, I always thought you had really good form. Almost to the point of making me wonder what you were trying to fix.

I think you also said you throw Fairway Drivers out past 450, so do you think 400 is average, or somewhere beyond that?

I think that there is more to the throw than the moment of the hit. Your body has to do a lot of things right to put itself in a powerful position with lots of leverage. That starts the moment your x-step starts.

There are many ways to throw correctly, but there is more than one thing you MUST do. you can say Garret Gurthie looks completely different than Paul McBeth but I bet I can find more similarities in their throws than differences.

I'd say with solid form anyone can break 350. Most people should be able to reach 400. Many people can go beyond that.

Edit: and also thank you for the kind words about my form. I assure you, I still have plenty to work on!

I'm pushing 60 years old and I'm out of shape. I can throw 400 feet easy...when I'm on top of a huge hill and there's a tail wind. Otherwise, no way.

I'd say with solid form anyone can break 350. Most people should be able to reach 400. Many people can go beyond that.

Ok cool, that's about what I was thinking.

I wanted to ask when I saw you had posted because I think "average" from someone who knows what they are doing, is different than "average" from someone wishing it to be.

It's all about form. I don't know the number I would agree with the over 400' is about right.

Old and slow isn't the problem. It's old and unable to move the same way with a loss of flexibility together with a loss of explosive muscle movement. Getting old will have an effect on the ability to move. Relatively good form compared to others in the 55+ group doesn't really mean good form from a pure critique standpoint.

Latest posts