• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How I broke the 500 foot barrier

That smiley-toothed icon was as close I could get to tongue-in-cheek... but yes, I agree it is silly to let others opinions affect one negatively. Is saying GTFO to someone a faux pas? Yeah, more or less.

Yet, I'm not a big fan of baseless criticism. Or being called a fraud essentially by TYVEK here and on YouTube. If my integrity is called into question and I'm in the right, it's on.

Yes, saying GTFO like you own this thread is a bit much.

#theTruthHurts :rolleyes:

It does hurt. I wish he would come back.

Damn JQP... that's not easy. Well done.

I think you will see more power by pulling the disc through lower from the top of the backswing through your core... from my post...

One way to force myself to get forward has been to lower the backswing, so that when I pull the disc forward (hopefully on a flat and straight line) towards my right pec - and shift forward and down - I've brought the disc into the right spot for the power zone.

DOWN? Yes, I'm shifting down with relation to the top of the backswing when I'm on my back toe and upright. If I put the disc straight back from that position and pull it flat, I'll often leave the disc high and pull the disc forward and downward. Leave it low, it comes forward FLAT.

That may seems like a trivial thing, but lowering the disc engages muscles that I didn't use before.

I get what your saying and pretty much agree with you. I do think tho that with the availability of lightweight under stable warp speed drivers the vast majority of players can at least get to 400 If they put the work in, age/sex/physical limitations aside.

Well, at my age, having sex while playing disc golf is enough of a physical limitation keep my distance well below 400'.

Damn JQP... that's not easy. Well done.

I think you will see more power by pulling the disc through lower from the top of the backswing through your core... from my post...

Thanks, let's hope! I didn't expect to see that high swing plane when I watched the video, that's for sure :)

One bit I want to reiterate (and I'm speaking in the context of max type throws like the video) is that I don't pull on the disc until it's at the right pectoral. I accelerate it into that position by the violent hip/torso twist, culminating with a wrist load. Hopefully by the hundredth time I write that someone will actually do it and add 50 feet to their drive :p

Thanks, let's hope! I didn't expect to see that high swing plane when I watched the video, that's for sure :)

One bit I want to reiterate (and I'm speaking in the context of max type throws like the video) is that I don't pull on the disc until it's at the right pectoral. I accelerate it into that position by the violent hip/torso twist, culminating with a wrist load. Hopefully by the hundredth time I write that someone will actually do it and add 50 feet to their drive :p

Simply adding that is a bad idea. As you posted before you have a background and posted MUCH earlier a core strength training program... AND as you posted a while ago, hurt your oblique.

The term violent hip/torso twist might be semantics but will also turn people off. Hip pop? Strong rotation? I think there is a place and I think I understand it. But it is definitely not something you add in and get 50+ feet. Needs a lot of non-throwing non-disc related exercise before it is added into a throw.

World Class Result = World Class Effort

Bumps and bruises are part of the game. Learn from my mistakes.

If someone wants to just tip long-neckers back and throw 200 foot drives, it's all good... I'll be there one day, my days are surely numbered.

Until then as an old Chinese man said, " Train long. Body strong, and you happy. Illness will not touch you."

There's a difference between tipping long necks and wanting to develop 500' shots without risking injury. I'm on the path to 500'... yesterday I felt the power to get there, just couldn't the angles right before I ran outta time.

I'm not knocking you bro, you may find a way to 800' on flat ground like Alex Geisinger with a completely different throw. I'm just trying to get there without missing any days due to injury! And I really want my 500' to be balanced, controlled and accurate so that I can throw 18 down on a course with lots of 500' holes.

I hear you. You seem tenacious enough to reach your goals, that's for sure.

Yes, we want to be injury free and throw for a bajillion miles, but no matter
how careful and how correct and how certain we are of our mechanics, our next throw could be our last :\ It's the nature of the finite body.

But that's how my brain works. I totally support whatever path is safest and most effective and brings the most enjoyment to all levels of throwers. It's a big world :)

I can see what you are saying when you do a violent hip twist because the faster you move your hips the faster you can throw, but if you try to make it a effortless and quick hip turn then it will learn you the potential to throw even farther and be more balanced/controlled.

I can see what you are saying when you do a violent hip twist because the faster you move your hips the faster you can throw, but if you try to make it a effortless and quick hip turn then it will learn you the potential to throw even farther and be more balanced/controlled.

If it helps me throw the bird 50 feet farther then I confess my words will be delicious. We shall see :)

Good to know! Couldn't find any info about it online. I'll reflect that info in the vid description.
Do you have any links or other info on the disc specs to be used for the throw? Do they have a wind limit as well?

Coming soon: How I Broke The 500 Foot Barrier w/ A Mid-Range

Alright, ummm well, ok... maybe not for a while...:eek:

Guess I need to learn to pirouette now...:)

Good to know! Couldn't find any info about it online. I'll reflect that info in the vid description.
Do you have any links or other info on the disc specs to be used for the throw? Do they have a wind limit as well?
No wind limit. This is the hard part of the disc spec.
http://www.cs.rochester.edu/u/ferguson/ultimate/wfdf/wfdf-rules.html#A6
disc-edge-radius.gif

I had to channel my inner lawyer to get through some of the WFDF rulebook...

I think all discs PDGA approved pass the 1/16" radius test. I think you meant field events require a higher rim configuration rating? WFDF says 75 or higher if I read that right.

I've seen a list of PDGA approved discs but don't recall rim configuration being included?

Any one know of such a list?

I had to channel my inner lawyer to get through some of the WFDF rulebook...

I think all discs PDGA approved pass the 1/16" radius test. I think you meant field events require a higher rim configuration rating? WFDF says 75 or higher if I read that right.

I've seen a list of PDGA approved discs but don't recall rim configuration being included?

Any one know of such a list?

http://www.pdga.com/documents/pdga-approved-discs
They have rim config on there :)
Also, it looks like only putters for the most part are above 75.

Last edited:

Latest posts