• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Many Discs Do You Carry

How Many Discs Do You Carry?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
i have an innova discarrier so i have 24. do i need that many? no. but on a typical one round i usually thro 2 drives off the tee depending on how many people are out playing, i like to practice. so i use every disc atleast once. i think i could get away with 10-15 though. keep in mind i carry 4 putters and use all those on every hole for practice if nobody is behind me.

I carry 21 discs, but only 10 molds. Multiple weights/stages of wear/etc. Destroyer, Wraith, Firebird, Teebird, Leopard, PD and PD2 are my only driver molds right now. '01 Roc, '05 Roc, C-MD2, Z-Buzzz x2 are my midrange molds.

I usually carry between 16 and 18 in my bag. 6 or 7 are mainstays and all the rest are specialty discs.

Mostly different molds. Only 2 are of the same mold.

Last edited:
Another 16+ here. The exact number varies depending on whether or not I throw in backups (for tournaments usually).

5 Wizards (2 for putting), 2 Comets, 1 Buzzz, 1 Demon, 4 Predators, 1 Valkyrie, 2 Wraiths, 1 Destroyer, 2 PD2s. The Valkyrie and the PD2s are more specialty discs, but the rest I use quite frequently.

I can see the value of carrying a lot of discs to practice with. Beats walking after the same disc multiple times. I want to increase my collection for that same reason.

But for just playing, I mean, how many does it really take to play a round? One. That's how many.

Yeah, as if. I carry my whole collection. Which is four. C'mon Christmas.

Some of these folks I see on the course have a whole DG store strapped to their backs. Maybe that's their deal. Maybe they sell discs on the course.

Some of them though, I dunno. I see threads here where people are carrying their own body weight in plastic. Why for?

Hey, go ahead and do it. Float your boat. Push a wheel barrow full if you like. I'm just wondering if people throw all those for gaming. What's the reasoning? Curious.

I usually carry between 18 and 21, but I usually have 14-15 different molds. Some of the mold I throw the most have different weights.

Also, I have three discs that I only throw for one shot (for example, I have an ESP Avenger SS that I only use for Tomohawks).

I usually have one or two discs that I am just trying out, and I use them to compare against other mainstay discs. I also have three midrange molds (Core, Drone, and Roc+) that I throw for different shots. The Drone is crazy overstable, the core is just slight understable and perfect for shots around trees or over bushes, and the Roc+ is my go to midrange. Also, four of the discs are putters (JK Aviar, SSS Wizard, SS Wizard x2...diff weights).

Why carry less??? :D

Last edited:
For a quick 9 holes, I'll usually take my Fade Crunch with 10 or 11. For 18 holes, I take my Grip or Carolina with 18 or 19. Sometimes it's nice to have extra variety that you may not need, but fun to have nonetheless.

Tim S.

And losing discs. I lost two in one round. So yeah, I can see that reason too. Not a problem on my home course though.

Around 16-20

1 Putter (if I"m smart)
4 Mids
and 15 Drivers (rollers, understable, overstable, forehand, backups)

For a quick 9 holes, I'll usually take my Fade Crunch with 10 or 11. For 18 holes, I take my Grip or Carolina with 18 or 19. Sometimes it's nice to have extra variety that you may not need, but fun to have nonetheless.

Tim S.

:thmbup:+1...it is fun to throw diff plastic!

I usually take at least one new mold most rounds I play that is in the "test" mode. For example, I just got two new glow Ions (soft 172 and medium 175) to see if they'll have a place in the bag. They'll get auditioned for a few weeks, or even months if I like them, and then I'll either use 'em or sell 'em off.

Tim S.

i have like 3 molds that are duplicates. TL, TL+, 9X teebird. 4 soft ions, and a DX roc, and star roc. but its very nice to have alot of discs that arent the same mold so if you throw a ****ty shot off the tee, you can choose a discs to recover with. if you have a bag full of overstable discs and you need a hard hard long right fade, your screwed. it might be a 1 in 1,000,000 chance you need that disc. but since you dont have it it could cost you a few strokes and if your in a tourney....thats all bad.

I have 2 magnets for putting, 2 champ aviars for driving, a stratus, 3-4 rocs, a buzzz, a drone, two wraiths, two TLs, 3 teebirds, a leopard, and a Firebird. Not gonna go into what they are used for.

Why?

2 Summits - one for long putts, one for short/wind
2 Ions - one overstable, one stable-understable - driving & approaching
1 Fuse - U/S mid
1 Axis - stable mid
1 Pain/Vector/Zone/MD2 - O/S mid (Not used much so I play around with molds)
1 Leopard - U/S driver
1 Eagle X - stable driver
1 Banshee - O/S driver
1 Viking - stable distance
1 Valk - U/S distance
1 Monarch - rollers

Putter and backup.
3 of my distance driver in different levels of beatness and dome for different levels of turn/fade.
2 overstable mid in different plastics, again for different functions.
1 stable to understable mid and sometimes a backup for it that's more slightly overstable to stable.

So 9-10 discs in 4 molds, all of which I use nearly every round at least a few times.

I'm not a fan of carrying what I don't use. Mold and disc minimalism FTW!!