• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

How Often Do You Lose a Disc?

Hadn't lost any for some time until just the other day I realized that a disc I don't throw very often was not in my bag. I don't know if I left it behind after using it, or didn't pick it up after doing some field work? :doh::wall::doh: I can only remember ever losing one disc because I couldn't find it - it landed in the middle of a HUGE briar patch at Giles Run. All the others have been underwater.

Just wondering how often others lose plastic(or rubber for you Vibram throwers). I managed all year without losing one and then lost two this week. It's a bit funny but not because I lost two last year and they were in the same week as well. :doh:

Really good question. It's interesting, I'm not exactly sure how many discs I've lost or what my rate of losing discs is, which seems to be what you're polling here. I'm not sure if they're connected or not but I seem to go through discs at a much higher rate when I play more often. Not sure why that it. For instance, in April, I played once & I lost a disc when I left it on the course. But last week, I played every day and I didn't lose any. And I seem to lose discs more often when I play across water. And when I play in the woods with a lot of blind shots, with no spotters. And I have no idea why this is so but I seem to lose way more discs when I play by myself. It's funny. Great thread.

1 This year - Forgot to pick it up during doubles. Still mad at myself!
Usually 1 per year is my limit.

VIP Giant went way long yesterday and ended up in a pond. It's a pond where a local disc fisher frequently wades looking for lost discs, so there's a chance it gets found, maybe I'll get it back. If it doesn't come back, would be my first lost disc. Pity too, it's been my absolute go-to meathook/crazy skips disc.

this thread brought back memories of fall and winter, oh gawd the leaves and snow... throw disc and everyone in the card sees it land in the middle of the fairway with a good shot in the leaves/snow and still disappears into oblivion. :thmbdown:

it got bad enough where some players would actually bring their leaf blowers in their car just in case they lost a favorite disc.

this thread brought back memories of fall and winter, oh gawd the leaves and snow... throw disc and everyone in the card sees it land in the middle of the fairway with a good shot in the leaves/snow and still disappears into oblivion. :thmbdown:

No stranger to snow, not in Finland. When we play during the winter, since there are two of us, the person not throwing first goes ahead to spot the landing spot and dig out the disc for the first thrower, who then spots the disc for the second thrower. Tree kicks can be annoying, especially if the disc kicks your way, but we got through out first winter of DG without losing any discs, couple of longer searches. Still preferred over losing discs. I heard from some people that they used a similar method even in competitions over the winter. Others go with the ribbon approach and/or attaching a LED light to the disc (it gets dark rather early this far north in autumn/winter).

I find it funny that I have several discs from 2002 still in my bag but I can't help but lose two discs that I bought just a few months ago. Most of my discs have been lost to murky creek water.

This is all me as well. I have discs that I've been playing with for a decade and almost can't lose them. Overall I think I've lost about 1 per year when actively playing.

Last month I was out playing a solo round and almost lost 2 brand new discs on the same hole. Got mad at a terrible drive and re-teed, which I never do and basically lost track of the 2nd shot while looking for the first.

Then a few holes later all flustered, I threw my oldest mid into a lake. My approach game hasn't recovered since...

not as often as I lose my mind

*realizes he's jinxed himself and will now lose discs more frequently than he loses his mind*
*cost of playing DG increases exponentially*
*Bogey forced to live on wellfare, becomes one of those guys you see on MI courses collecting empties for the 10¢ deposit*
*realizes he did this to homself simply by posting here*
*never posts on DGCR again*
*hangs head in shame*

:doh: :(

Last edited:
If it's a a disc I like a lot itll be stolen when I leave it lie. And if it goes in the water it's always hard to get back. If it's just a throw away or fresh disc they always get returned it seems. But I leave discs on the ground alot more then I have go in ponds nowadays.

it got bad enough where some players would actually bring their leaf blowers in their car just in case they lost a favorite disc.

My bad to bring up bad memories dude. Does your disc dog not like to retrieve in the snow?

I throw all year but I can't bring myself to throw when it's below freezing or white stuff is on the ground. I draw the line there. :)

Lost 5 in the last two months. Somewhat depressing as I had not lost one in a year or more. Not one call. 2 of those were lost on good long drives around a blind bend that must have ended up skipping/rolling down a grade into woods so I looked forever and nothing. That's the worst, losing a disc on a good shot. 2 were awful yanks into trees where I saw the disc hit the tree and drop straight down but when I get there.....nothing. The disc has vanished. I figure a squirrel or raccoon had to run off with those because they should have been easy finds!!! Damn.

I hadn't lost a Disc in FOREVER. Last week I through a Brand New Westside Warship in to a Head Wind on a Hyzer on a Short 260ft hole. Watched it go, watched it come down. Walked up to play it, just plain GONE. Don't believe it skipped, or rolled, because I would have found it on a Wide walking path. I looked for almost 30 minutes before I got irritated and left. No call on it... Jack Rabbits 1, me 0.

Lost 3 in 2 days at the Woodshed/Whipping Post course in Paw Paw, WV this weekend. I think that's a good considering the courses.

I have lost anywhere from 3 a day to 3 a year depending on conditions. I have probably lost equal numbers to water, vegetation and simply leaving them

.. been playing almost 3 months now, and have lost 5 and found 1 (no #) ... 2 of the five lost since I started # on mine, but no calls yet ... fortunately, I am just throwing inexpensive base plastics at this point, and part of the problem is that I am playing some courses that I have never been to before, so I am not all that aware of the danger spots ...

.. another problem is when I am alone on a course and start throwing multiple discs ... I am finding that although I have a good memory, it is also very short ... I now only throw multiple discs on the 'open' holes, and throwing discs that I am less fond of in the 'danger' spots ... I lost two this weekend, but plan to go back and think I have a decent chance to find one tomorrow, as I didn't want to take a lot of time and slow up the group on Friday ...

My bad to bring up bad memories dude. Does your disc dog not like to retrieve in the snow?

I throw all year but I can't bring myself to throw when it's below freezing or white stuff is on the ground. I draw the line there. :)

I actually have two disc dogs (here and here), and whenever I bring both to the course they're hellraisers , well the Boston Terrier in particular.

Recently I did try bringing just the Blue Heeler and to my surprise he turned into an excellent disc dog (where he'd carry around his own dog disc) wait for me to throw, then run up and point where my disc is. This was with only playing solo, so I don't know if he's a truly good disc golf dog yet....

what about yours?

I haven't lost one in close to a year.

Went all winter without even losing one.

Just recently played a little 9 hole in town along the river. My Roc got flipped by the wind coming off the water and sent it into a nasty lagoon on one of the previous holes. Went waaaaay off course.

On Saturday I lost a Firebird in the tall grass at my favorite local course. It would have been a good look at a birdie if I could have found it.

Latest posts