• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I broke a plain today.

rikardob

Eagle Member
I'm a RHFH driver. I putt LHBH. I get 300 - 350 constantly with my RHFH drive but I've always felt I need to diversify and expand my game. I just can't break down and do it during league nights or casual play with my friends because it really hurts my score.

Every once in a while I get the chance to throw in a field. So I've been practicing RHBH with midranges. Probably only three really good sessions including today. The first two times I got around 150 with no constancy at all. Every once in a while though I would launch one of my Buzzzs or Evolutions over 200 so I knew something was going on.

I watched a few videos and tried again today. This time I used a fan grip on my midranges and made sure to twist my shoulder as far back as I could. SICK! Consistency. All my shots where within a thirty foot circle at about 160-175 out.

So I hear the lawnmowers coming to cut the soccer field and decide I should throw in an x-step. BAM! 250 straight as an arrow. Some a bit shorter, but nice and straight shots.

The lawn mowers are coming in close now. I'm sweating my face off trying to collect my midranges. I run back to my driving spot and see my 3 Surges sitting there. Just for the heck of it I try a "pro grip" I saw on a video and with no X-step, I launch all three. Every disc goes 300 or over with my new found RHBH form. I seriously almost crapped my pants.

I had to run to get my discs before they got ran over. So that was it. Didn't even get to try any drives with an X-step. But wow! A few more months of practice and it's on! Having a mastery of both RHBH and RHFH are really going to help my game. It was strange training myself from scratch to throw RHBH but I'm glad I did. Can't wait to get back out there on the practice field and start really working on it.

I've seen this video posted a few times on this forum and couldn't recommend it more! Driving with Dan Beato.

Working up one step at a time is what really helped me the most. I had a local open guy who drives Buzzzs 300 and over with laser like accuracy teach me the "fan grip" and I saw the "Pro Grip" on some random youtube that I can't find.

Not that anyone cares but I just parked a 264 hole for deuce today with a RHBH shot. I would have been hard pressed to make it through these woods using a RHFH shot. I knew it would come in handy!

i think until you reach your plateu without the x-step the x-step kinda holds you back and can actually slow your throw down. my problem now is ive gotten to the point where i started working the x-step in and i know it gives me more d but it really only works well on a flat surface with good grip which is hard to come by here so i cant use it

i think until you reach your plateu without the x-step the x-step kinda holds you back and can actually slow your throw down.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't use the x-step on that drive today or in the field. I'll be refining my drives without it for a while before I really step into it. Although it really put some extra yards onto my midrange throws.

Thanks for the advice. I didn't use the x-step on that drive today or in the field. I'll be refining my drives without it for a while before I really step into it. Although it really put some extra yards onto my midrange throws.

have you tried flicking the disc? i do that and have hadloys of success.

my problem now is ive gotten to the point where i started working the x-step in and i know it gives me more d but it really only works well on a flat surface with good grip which is hard to come by here so i cant use it

This is one of the most important aspects of the game.....footing. If your feet aren't right, you won't be able to do anything the right way. It's very difficult to do an x-step on certain parts of a course. Sometimes, shortening your steps can help. Sometimes you have to accept the fact that you can't do a run up. No matter what you are doing, you want to remain balanced. It can be extremely difficult at times.

good stuff man. i started off RHFH, just because that's what the guys who taught me did.. but I watched my game leap ahead of theirs within months of picking up BH. It's good stuff man, keep practicing.

This is one of the most important aspects of the game.....footing. If your feet aren't right, you won't be able to do anything the right way. It's very difficult to do an x-step on certain parts of a course. Sometimes, shortening your steps can help. Sometimes you have to accept the fact that you can't do a run up. No matter what you are doing, you want to remain balanced. It can be extremely difficult at times.

Run up? LOL! You just blew my mid. It's going to be a long while of practicing the two steps back to the x-step drive before I'm running up to anything.