• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] I can't believe I bought champion plastic again!

I generally prefer the various Champion-style plastics but I don't like Champion itself since it became very clear. Hate the jolly launcher stuff and anything like it.

I'm not huge on JL but some of them (the stiffer ones with a less-slick feel) are indestructible. They really can take any punishment.

The Terns are the mold I was referencing. My Renegades (Lucid and Bio) are pretty close to my Star and G* Tern. They're the closest thing to them that I've found but even then I dont know that they'll replace the Terns. I've got a Fuzion on order to try out against my champ. Not sure how it'll compare but we'll see. The Terns are such easy and consistent distance.

There are no Renegades that will replace a Champion Tern. They do go well together though. The closest thing I have found so far in the starish plastics is the Fuzion Sheriff.

There are no Renegades that will replace a Champion Tern. They do go well together though. The closest thing I have found so far in the starish plastics is the Fuzion Sheriff.

Thats fine because there are 4 Terns in that order as well :D

I have a Sheriff but Im not feeling the 14 speed rims. I wanted to try it out but my hands arent big enough for that rim to fit comfortably unless I take my pinky finger off and go with a 3 finger grip.

I have a Sheriff but Im not feeling the 14 speed rims. I wanted to try it out but my hands arent big enough for that rim to fit comfortably unless I take my pinky finger off and go with a 3 finger grip.

I have not put my caliper on them, but the rim on a Sheriff is not nearly as huge feeling as a Boss, Katana, Nuke etc. My guess would be 12.5ish. I'll caliper mine soon.

I have not put my caliper on them, but the rim on a Sheriff is not nearly as huge feeling as a Boss, Katana, Nuke etc. My guess would be 12.5ish. I'll caliper mine soon.

Its actually 13 speed... thought it was 14. Its probably just some getting used to that has to happen as I dont throw anything that fast. Fastest disc I throw is a Tern and an occasional Trespass is I'm just screwing around. I like to stick to 10 speeds, maybe some 11s and nothing faster (aside from a Tern, because its a Tern. Idc how fast it is, its my farthest flyer). I wanted to try the Sheriff though because it and the (I think) Destiny, I was told are like the Trilogy version of a Tern in the sense that its a high speed rating, but lower power friendly and can still get more D for those lower power arms.

I buy a lot of discs. From time to time, I'll take out a whole new speed lineup. Like nothing but 10s, nothing but 11s, just to see what will happen. Those lower speeds are nice/fun etc, but I still throw things like Sheriffs and Shrykes farther, and it makes a difference on my courses. Oh how I wish I could get away with a speed limit bag of 11s.

A lot of people actually like to carry a Champ version of a mold along with Star/Pro/whatever, because it flies differently.

I have Champion TLs as well as my staple Star TLs. If I'm breaking in a new River or if I want to put an S-FD in my bag, I'll put the Champion TL in as a more overstable compliment.

The Terns are the mold I was referencing. My Renegades (Lucid and Bio) are pretty close to my Star and G* Tern. They're the closest thing to them that I've found but even then I dont know that they'll replace the Terns. I've got a Fuzion on order to try out against my champ. Not sure how it'll compare but we'll see. The Terns are such easy and consistent distance.

I've given up trying to replace my Terns. I tried discing down, and the Renegade was going to be a part of that. But the Terns still won (and the Avenger SS beats out the Renegade, as well). I've tried faster discs, such as the Shryke and Destiny. The Destiny is a good disc, but does not consistently outdistance the Terns. The Terns are my point of maximum distance.

Right now I have a 167g Star Tern, a 157g Champion Tern, and a 167g Champion Tern. The Star Tern has gotten flippy with use; I only carry and use it in calm conditions. The 167g C-Tern is my "overstable" headwind disc; it might get replaced by something else in the future. That 157g C-Tern has become my go-to distance driver. It goes long but doesn't turn over like the S-Tern tends to do at times.

Man Champion style plastic is my preference for Premium (at least over star type plastics). But I bag plenty of other plastics because of how they fly and beat in.