• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] I cant throw a Destroyer!

Hager971

I throw a westside tournament plastic sorcerer (13 6 0 2) or GStar wraith (11 5 -1 3) 400+ feet but i cant throw a star destroyer (12 5 -1 3) instantly fades even if i throw it on a anhyzer release. Is the speed stat different between companies or is it the increase in glide? Any thoughts?

A lot of Star Destroyers aren't really -1, a lot of them are super overstable 0 HSS

Destroyers have a sharper nose than a Wraith which will certainly magnify nose angle issues.

Yeah a lot of star Destroyers are crazy overstable, like 12/4/+0.5/4. Pro's with 500' of power throw them into headwinds and they don't turn.

Try a Gstar or Pro Destroyer, you'll like those.

Also, Sorcerers are less stable than the 0/2 numbers say, and the Gstar Wraith will be a less stable Wraith too (than star/champ). So all of these things are combining to make the difference seem so huge.

I think that if you're throwing those other discs over 4 you shouldn't be having that hard of a time with a destroyer. I don't throw over 400' but can get a destroyer to fly 350'+

Also, the different manufacturers flight ratings are independent from one another. Comparable only within their own respective flight charts.

Yeah a lot of star Destroyers are crazy overstable, like 12/4/+0.5/4. Pro's with 500' of power throw them into headwinds and they don't turn.

Try a Gstar or Pro Destroyer, you'll like those.

Also, Sorcerers are less stable than the 0/2 numbers say, and the Gstar Wraith will be a less stable Wraith too (than star/champ). So all of these things are combining to make the difference seem so huge.
Very true.

most sorcerers I've thrown are more like -2/1, and as stated above beefcake destroyers do exist. I used to throw Pro Destroyers and they bomb.

I think that if you're throwing those other discs over 4 you shouldn't be having that hard of a time with a destroyer. I don't throw over 400' but can get a destroyer to fly 350'+

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes i think i should be able to crush it. But i will try a gstar i would hope to get more distance and a reliable left finish.

Thanks for the quick replies. Yes i think i should be able to crush it. But i will try a gstar i would hope to get more distance and a reliable left finish.

I can throw a Gstar Destroyer 50'+ further than a beefy star. It's going to be a lot more similar to your Wraith. And the overstable Destroyer you have will be good for headwinds/spikes/skip shots...they are good discs, just not if you expected them to be your new distance disc. Abuse it for a little while and it will get a little more length on it, but it won't approach a pro/gstar for most arms.

2 things:

Trilogy flight numbers do not equate to Innova flight numbers

Throwing speed 11/12/13 drivers does not lend itself to consistency in general. Find a mold or two that you like that is you max distance and stick to it. You dont need a lot of molds in the max distance category.

If you can throw the other two 400', why do you need/want to throw a Destroyer 400'? I mean if aint broke dont fix it..not trying to be a d-bag just wondering your motivation for specifically wanting to throw the destroyer.

If you can throw the other two 400', why do you need/want to throw a Destroyer 400'? I mean if aint broke dont fix it..not trying to be a d-bag just wondering your motivation for specifically wanting to throw the destroyer.

I just dont get y i cant throw it i would think i have the arm speed to be able to crush it. Also who dosent want more distance and predictable fade.

It's been in a number of threads on here. The new Star Destroyers are crazy overstable. I worried at first that it was me but it's been on the board so much now that it seems it is actually the disc this time and not me. Shocking. I gave the new one I bought away. It was useless to me.

I just dont get y i cant throw it i would think i have the arm speed to be able to crush it. Also who dosent want more distance and predictable fade.

To this point: i'm more of a noodle-arm than many here, but I can get a Tern out there and a lighter weight TeeDevil gets me good distance. I also have a Starlite Boss that I can crush on occasion (very flippy, though) and during this "Throw Pink" month I even got a DD Lucid Freedom out to 340 ft. (admittedly on a downhill).

Having said that, I can't throw Destroyers, either. I have a Star Destroyer (AJ timeframe, it's an F2 disc), and a Blizzard Destroyer, and a DX Destroyer. I thought the DX Destroyer would break in over time, but it's still overstable for me. The Blizzard gets more distance, but not like the other discs named above. And the F2 Star Destroyer is a beautiful shade of blue, but that's its only redeeming feature.. it's a meathook for me.

Yeah, some of it is PLH and some of it is operator headspace and timing. But I also think some of it is the Destroyer and me just not being made for each other. And with other discs that DO work, I'll let others throw Destroyers and I'll throw those other discs.. :thmbup:

I can understand wanting more distance and a reliable fade. And yes theoretically you should have the arm to crush a destroyer but I really dont think the distance potential of a destroyer is all that much greater of the other two. Now the more reliable fade it deffinetly brings to the table. As others have already said youd probably be better off trying a Pro Destroyer. If it works out buy multiples in the same weight. If it doesnt then move on and find a disc that does work.

Latest posts