• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I give up

I'm 65 and hit 320' or better occasionally. On the courses I usually play, 280' with accuracy beats a wild 320+' on most holes. If you can approach & putt, 260-280' will make you competitive in Intermediate.

many people in the 60+ range in Va give me a run for my money. I'm 51 and can get the disc out to 350ft. I wasn't throwing that far in my 40's. I just changed a little bit of my form and got good results. And I rarely practice and refuse to stretch.

Kodak moment....

attachment.php

Attachments

• Chris Hysell gives up.jpg
    Chris Hysell gives up.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 151
You're still very new at 2 months. Some distance will come but unfortunately most DGers don't get much past 350. You'll find folks on here are the exception not the norm.

Focus on smooth form with late acceleration and getting the nose down.

Just for full disclosure - I'm 54 and just recently broke 300 on good throws.

I am 46 and throw further now than years ago. Form and faster discs that have come out over the years has made the difference for me. However, not just fast discs without form.

A lot of players older than me prefer to forehand drives. If you are a new player who has not tried to forehand, start today.

My buddy is 60+ and he competes and wins in Masters and Grand Master events with probably an average drive of 275'. He can hit 300+ with the right tail wind, downhill or occasional spectacular throw. Work on form, get what you can out of your drive, and then be accurate with approaches and putts. For most of us it is about fun, not winning some long *ss tourney on a hot summer day. Just enjoy.

I play with this clown that sloppydisc is referring to very often. I can easily outdrive him by 100'-150' regularly, but our matches are typically very tight he often wins due to his secondary shots and putting. In the end, working on it will get results.

Keep at it and the improvement will come. Watch videos, ask advice, search and read the forums and you will get better.

In regards to driving far, I've seen it all now. 13year old kids driving 350ft, big fat guys, tall skinny guys all throwing 400+, a local pro taught a 70 year old how to throw 400ft on a high flex shot. Age, size, really doesn't matter, it's all about technique, form, torque, etc, etc. I'm 51 and have played a few advanced grandmaster tourneys now. The winner has never been a big distance thrower. I have always been able to out drive the other gms, but they have one thing I don't have...consistent accuracy. They will laser a 250ft throw through the tightest tunnels and take a bird where I usually par. Get a lighter disc like a 150'ish mamba, katana, unlace, etc, and you should be able to throw it 250-275+ with ease. If not, then I would suggest getting some lessons and dial in your form.

In regards to driving far, I've seen it all now. 13year old kids driving 350ft, big fat guys, tall skinny guys all throwing 400+, a local pro taught a 70 year old how to throw 400ft on a high flex shot. Age, size, really doesn't matter, it's all about technique, form, torque, etc, etc. I'm 51 and have played a few advanced grandmaster tourneys now. The winner has never been a big distance thrower. I have always been able to out drive the other gms, but they have one thing I don't have...consistent accuracy. They will laser a 250ft throw through the tightest tunnels and take a bird where I usually par. Get a lighter disc like a 150'ish mamba, katana, unlace, etc, and you should be able to throw it 250-275+ with ease. If not, then I would suggest getting some lessons and dial in your form.

I have been easing up on the throw and have made good progress on accuracy this week, with distance holding firm. I think I've seen the light, or a "aha" moment. Slow fluid movement. I'll build on this. Accuracy works. Thanks for your response.

OK. I give up. I'm an older player (65). I seem to be maxing at 200' average,sometimes 275. I've been playing for a couple months. Is there any hope of a consistent 300' drive? I love the game. It gives me exercise and fun all wrapped up in 1 package.

Some of the members that have posted here I play with on a regular basis. So they know my game fairly well. With that said.

I would quit if I were you.... you are 65, just starting to play and throw as far as I do and I have been playing since '86.

I'm getting increasingly sick on new players that out throw me then complain that this is their second round ever and they can't reach the basket that is 425' away.

30 years of sucking at this sport. I complain with the best of them but I have a legitimate reason to bitch. I suck at Disc Golf.

This after actually playing better now than I ever have. Granted having the heart attack and getting my heart pipes unclogged has helped a lot.

As far as Hysell he is an aged freak of nature. He has one of the best mental aspects of the game I have seen. Even when he plays bad in his twisted world I have never seen him give up or get down on himself.

disc cussing, one of the best decisions I have ever made to increase my distance is find the lightest discs I can. Also carry discs that have a negative turn number (under stable drivers) like Sidewinders & Mambas.

I carry a couple of discs that are stable for me like a 165- Turn for headwind throws. But for most of my throws are made with 150 weight or less. My main drivers are 150 champ mamba & sidewinder. 134 Blizzard Katana and my newest 134 Starlite Mamba (for hyzer flip shots) That Starlite Mamba I threw about 450' on a downhill shot which was far for me. I even have a 125 DX sidewinder that I have put in my bag for hard 90° anhyzer shots. The lighter weights will be easier on your elbow too.

In case you didn't get it I was joking about quitting.

Don't give up. You are new to the sport so the best advice I can give is to learn to throw properly without power so you don't get bad habits in your throw that kills your distance. I have played with people that aren't as big or have the arm strength I have but they throw much farther than I do because no one showed me the right way to throw and it has taken a life time to fix. If you throw it correctly the distance will come with practice.