• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I HATE PUTTING WITH A BURNING FIERY PASSION

attik34

Birdie Member
I have no clue where to start with my putting frustrations. So we'll start with I'm bad. Really bad. Like bad enough that I get overly embarrassed by the people who beat me on a consistent basis (no offense to those people...). I've gone through so many different forms of push/spush putting and I suck at them all. Spin putting feels so weird to me, that I don't know how to even approach standing at my disc.

Rant, kinda over.

The biggest problem I have, is that the push putt feels right, I just can't do it right. I putt nose down in a bad way, and facemasks run at the sight of me. In my 2 rounds today I know for a fact I facemasked at least 8 putts, and missed many more. I've tried aiming higher but weird things happen to me when I aim higher, like...at some point that is slightly higher than my typical aiming spot all the sudden, i'm nose up and sailing over the basket. It's like there is no happy medium. I feel ok about my nose angle when I hyzer putt, but i've about decided that isnt a viable way to approach putting here in the midwest (wind is satan and always present...).

All of these issues are inside the circle btw...

I guess tips on push putting with nose up or, maybe even spin putting info would be great. I'm just unreasonably frustrated with putting right now cuz it's holding me back bigtime and its not due to lack of working on it...i just suck bad outside of like...15 feet...and its gotta stop...

Putting takes time and patience. I putt a lot like Paul McBeth. I use the same style of putting for 99% of my putts. I also practice maybe twice a week on just putts for about an hour. I need to do more but it takes repeating the same motion over and over.

Also the biggest thing is CONFIDENCE. If you have none you will miss all day. Does not matter how much you practice.

Feldy would suggest using only firm putters as they don't change their shape/feel on those close putts.

Also, I'm not the best putter but at least I feel I can hole out every time I'm inside the circle and no longer worry blowing a comeback putt if I miss. It only took me 7-8 thousand practice putts to get there and nowadays I spend almost as much time practice putting as I do practicing in the field or on the course just to maintain that confidence.

Finally, if you're freaking out or tense or whatever... you're gonna miss so lighten up Francis:D

Last edited:
Which manufacturer makes the Burning Fiery Passion? Maybe it'll work for me.

I think putting is probably close to 90% mental. Sure there are mechanical things that need to happen, but I think your body and mind can basically do it based on feel. See target, hit target. And right now you're pressing way too hard and so focused on every minute mechanical detail that you're going to struggle to make anything. I would seriously consider not putting at all for a few days.
When you do come back, try different ways to toss things at objects. Sounds stupid, but crumple up a piece of paper and toss it in a garbage can. Or a soda can into a recycling bin. Or anything else. Your body knows how to do it. Then, do the same with a putter. Put it on a shelf or the ground or whatever, and grab it when you're facing away from the basket. Grab it, turn, toss it in the basket. Incorporate some of that into your putting style and find something comfortable. Then, change your mindset. You are a good putter. You love putting. You make putts. All the time.
And if you're thinking about making or missing a putt while putting, back away. Your only focus is the tape on the pole, or a chain link. There are no other thoughts. You focus on your specific target and you let your body toss the disc in the basket. It is that simple.

The feldberg video on push putting really helped me. When he said that there was an actal hit point right before release I finally got it. At first 10 feet was stretching it a bit but now 3 months of practice later I can push putt about 20 feet with barely any movement.

I don't know what your doing wrong, man, but for me, putting is by far the easiest part of the game. I've made thousands of putts but only a couple handfuls of drives.

I think the first step is to stop thinking so negatively about putting. Open your mind to putting. Don't try to practice while you are mad, that will just make it less fun.

I would suggest trying out some different putters. I had an Aerobie Arrow when I first started and thought it was great till it got beat in and then it was frustrating as all hell. I have a soft magnet that is my go to putter which I would recommend you to try.

Instead of buying your own target just go to the course early in the morning or on a day when there are not many people there and just practice at a target. (I suggest doing this on one where you can see the tee so you can move if there is not a practice target)

Lastly, there are several kinds of ways to putt. Perhaps you have not found yours. Try looking for videos like this one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31WBwNtbQIQ&noredirect=1

You can do it!

One thing to try putting with your off hand. If you're face guarding close putts, that change could have your mind thinking about executing the putt since it's not natural instead of thinking about how you can miss.... If it doesn't work you can probably figure it out after 15 minutes at a practice basket...

I don't necessarily agree that putting is mostly mental. At least not from all distances. If you practice enough, your body will know how to putt, and your mind can just check out. This can be especially true inside 15 feet. If you can somehow get to that point of your routine, your mind will be at ease, and the putts will always be good.

Take your putter and a friend. Start about 10 feet apart and play catch. Back up as you become comfortable.

When you go play pretend the basket is your friend.

Are you the same guy that hates driving from the tee also?

If discing puts you over the edge, you should really takeup something less stressful as a hobby. Say, collecting gumwrappers, or flower arrangements. :|

Are you the same guy that hates driving from the tee also?

If discing puts you over the edge, you should really takeup something less stressful as a hobby. Say, collecting gumwrappers, or flower arrangements. :|

Nah...I love basically everything about disc golf...just frustrated with putting atm....I feel like I'm getting better at everything else and my scores aren't getting better.

I love throwing off the tee, I dump on stuff. its just embarrassing to lose to people that no lie, I can almost double thier distance off the tee and be much more consistantly in the fairway in almost every situation, but i'm THAT bad at putting....