• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] I need a Gazelle that's not a Gazelle

MonkeyShine

Par Member
Looking for a speed 6 or 7 driver that's like an old barstamp DX Gazelle, mostly because I don't want to have to collect these and cry every time one hits a tree. I found the one I have, and I love it, I just don't have the patience to hunt down old-school plastic.

Any suggestions?

I'd say ESP Cyclone, but that's Going OOP now, too.

Lots of discs that'll give you that basic kind of flight. What do you like about your gazelle? The feel in the hand? The flight? The plastic? Etc

My experience with recent DX plastic has been good. No need to hunt down old school stuff. If you want something like a Gazelle, just pick up a couple or four current runs.

Pro Gazelle sounds like its worth a try. I looked at a new DX Gazelle and it didn't feel like the same plastic. I guess what I'd like to try is something similar that's going to last a while and is easy enough to find duplicates. I'm not used to throwing this speed of driver, but I've been discing down and threw a bunch of control drivers the other day, I threw 400' with them in a tailwind, which previously I was doing with a Nuke.

Can anyone suggest something close by other brands? Like speed 6, 7, or 8 at most, throws like a Gazelle or TeeBird. I'm throwing PDs now, but I want a slower alternative. Just curious what's out there.

MVP/Axiom has 4 molds that all fall into the Gazelle speed/glide range, depending on exactly what stability you are looking for. From most to least stable: Servo, Crave, Switch, Inspire(not quite released yet).

If you like the feel of the rim and flight I have a champion one so you can find them on ebay, and the Innova pro shop website has them in the star plastic. Otherwise you might look at the innova TL, it's fairly close in flight just a little faster and it's available in star and champion and easier to find than the gazelle.

I throw dx vipers.. they take forever to cycle through so u don't replace them much. and I play on a very wooded course

Reviving this thread as opposed to starting a new one.

I love the Gazelle too and am also wondering if another company makes a Gazelle like disc. I love the feel of the rim most and the flight. I know I can get Star and G* from the pro shop, but I would rather handle my discs in person and have them easily replaced without online buying.

Any suggestions?

Looking for a speed 6 or 7 driver that's like an old barstamp DX Gazelle, mostly because I don't want to have to collect these and cry every time one hits a tree. I found the one I have, and I love it, I just don't have the patience to hunt down old-school plastic.

Any suggestions?

If you can feel up DX Gazelles at a local store, go with the ones that are the chalkiest and have the mildest dome - 167g and up.

I carry one until it's at risk of flipping when full to over powered on a hyzer release. That would be about 40-50 solid tree strikes which for me is about 6 months.

I don't leave home without one. Longest disc for me with still retaining acute accuracy when you need to thread a tight side to side gap, especially those down the fairway.

I hate spending the $20 online to get my Gazelle in premium plastics. Glo champs are nice, I don't like the poppy top stars at the innova store. The closest disc I've thrown to a Gazelle would be the MVP Switch. The Clash is a tad more stable like a Champion Gazelle, the Switch is the all-around closest disc to the Gazelle.

Reviving this thread as opposed to starting a new one.

I love the Gazelle too and am also wondering if another company makes a Gazelle like disc. I love the feel of the rim most and the flight. I know I can get Star and G* from the pro shop, but I would rather handle my discs in person and have them easily replaced without online buying.

Any suggestions?

Millenium Polaris, the 1.29 run (which I believe is still the run that is available) flies pretty darn close. Qpls as a stable end cap.

Nothing can replace a Gazelle. Trust me, I have tried. A few months back I wanted to convert all to Trilogy in hopes of making the team. There were two discs that I was having troubles replacing; the Gazelle and the TeeBird. While Trilogy does not have a TeeBird replacement either (I tried the Saint, Escape, and Stag), I can mask its absence through the overlap created by the Truth, Gazelle, and Saint Pro.

However, there is nothing that flies anything remotely like my Star Gazelles. The Gazelle excels at being torqued, especially low to the ground, without flipping, turning, or fading. It is also great at holding singular lines and does not stall out or do anything stupid when given air underneath it. At that power, even my workhorse Truths start to lose some reliability. I can torque-up a Verdict, but it still has a stronger finish than I would like.

It is all about applied-torque. The Gazelle can handle it whereas no other disc I have thrown can. Even the ESP Cyclone has more turn and an S-Curve flight. I suppose there are some MVPs that could handle it, but the rim depth on their fairway drivers always seemed shallow, unlike the very comfortable, grip-friendly Gazelle.

In all, I gave up trying trying to go ALL Trilogy solely because I could not replace this one disc. Everything else is Trilogy, though.

I don't know for sure, but I've heard that the Gazelle is basically a copy of the Cyclone, or at least was created to compete with the Cyclone. I would take a look at the Cyclone as potentially the closest thing to a Gazelle.

Nothing can replace a Gazelle. Trust me, I have tried. A few months back I wanted to convert all to Trilogy

However, there is nothing that flies anything remotely like my Star Gazelles. The Gazelle excels at being torqued, especially low to the ground, without flipping, turning, or fading. It is also great at holding singular lines and does not stall out or do anything stupid when given air underneath.

Well said. Which star version/run are you using?

I would just order some Gazelles from the factory store. The X-out Stars are nice right now and the Gstars are amazing. Smarkquart said it well. Since I've upped my speed on fairway drivers to the Thunderbird I had a gap that the Gazelle has filled perfectly.