• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need an official ruling please.

theGryphon

I have been playing on and off for a few years now. I have yet to play in a tournament. If I should ever choose to do so, am I required to play with a putter. I prefer to putt with my hydra. Since it is usually just me playing I do not care too much about strict rules. Just curious if inside a certain distance I had to use a "putter" disc. I took a look at the official disc golf rules, (I scanned them) and did not see anything that answered my question.

Thank you for your time.

The only requirement is that the disc is PDGA approved. You can putt with any disc. On windy days, you'll often see people putting with drivers.

You are not the only one who putts with a Hydra.
As long as it's PDGA approved you can put with it. Get a rule book, it's short and sweet.

By the way, the converse is also true----you can drive with putters, and on shorter holes, many do.

In short, there are no PDGA rules on which discs you can or cannot use, on any throws.

Lemme get this straight... the OP wants to know if it's OK to use a PDGA approved putter to putt with?
:| :| :|

Provided the disc is PDGA approved - any disc can be used for any shot. Nothing else needs to be said.

Last edited:
Yes the old player had a question that most people know the answer to. I just started playing again last week after a 2 year leave. The question stemmed from the fact that I also play a bit of ball golf. In which case you have to have a putter and use it when on the green.

Thank you everyone for your quick answers.

It is good to know that others use the hydra for a putter. Where I play everyone I have seen uses just putter discs inside of say 10-20 yards. So I thought I was the odd one out. This is probably the other reason that I felt the need to ask for the ruling.

"Peabody" I will get a copy of the rule book and read it asap. I will keep a copy with me while I play.

Last edited:
The question stemmed from the fact that I also play a bit of ball golf. In which case you have to have a putter and use it when on the green.

wow..... you're one dude that really needs to read the rules asap for both ball and disc golf. In each sport you can use any approved disc or club for putting.

Please ignore those that don't realize that you asked this question in the noob area and feel the need to act like idiots. Yes, you can use any approved disc for any shot.