• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need an opinion...

Alec10Reese

So I am 22 years old and have been playing disc golf everyday for close to 8 months now. I totaly fell in love with the game and have played everyday since a buddy introduced me to in the beginning of the summer. Even though I have only been playing for 8 months I feel like im becoming a really good player and could get really good in the future. My average distance drive averages between 400- 430 ft.( backhand, I feel that the flick is not as consistant a throw) and im a pretty consistant putter with my approach game being my strong point. But what I have noticed ( In my opinion) is that turnover drives are the hardest to be consistant with. I use an avenger ss or a valk for those shots but I just dont have confidence with them. I am a right hand thrower and im thinking about learning to drive with my left in order to have more confidence dogleg right holes. It has always been easy for me to learn to do things with my left from my background in basketball and other sports. anyways...... just wanting some feed back on what other people think. Learn to drive with the left or just keep on with turn over drives with the right, what will benifit me more in the long run?

Dogleg rights for RHBH. Learn to flick that shot. The understable drive is a squirly one and tough to rap the mind around with regards to release angle, snap. Though if mastered, you can sure get damn close.

Meat hook ani's anyone? hehehe

Valks will turn over and turn over and not come back when in used state, but any undestable disc will not accomplish what the forhand flick will.

Light roadrunners flipped over, beat up leopards, and a light OOP Discraft Breeze do the trick for me.

You sure your avg distance is accurate? Often newer players that struggle with turnover shots gotz the oatz.

You sure your avg distance is accurate? Often newer players that struggle with turnover shots gotz the oatz.

yea its accurate... what you trying to say? I was asking for an opinion not worthless coments.... as I said I play everyday and put alot of time into it. I would like helpful advice and opinons.

I was asking for an opinion not worthless coments....

He was suggesting that you have a lot of Off Axis Torque (OAT) in your throws, and it's making your turnover shots hard to control, but being a jerk about advice from veteran players isn't going to get you very far on this site.

He was suggesting that you have a lot of Off Axis Torque (OAT) in your throws, and it's making your turnover shots hard to control, but being a jerk about advice from veteran players isn't going to get you very far on this site.

Thanks for clearing that up. I apologize to for the previous post. I guess being a new player I didnt understand the lingo and thought he was saying something jerkish lol my bad. thanks for the opinon

If you are really throwing that far after playing for less than a year, kudos to you. If you have an athletic background it will come much easier to you, I'm sure. I would definitely keep working on RHBH turnover shots, but also develop a RHFH and mess with the LH when you are bored.

and the reason sidewinder doubted your D is because noobs come here quite frequent and claim to be able to throw quite far, and sometimes even post videos of their throwing where it is obvious they aren't getting close to it. Course signs are often inaccurate. Your ego can also lead you astray :)
Not to be a dick just asking out of curiosity how have you measured your throws?

Flick are great shots for those doglegs but learning that BH turnover shot is awesome. Its why i love disc golf, its so challenging and i love watching the disc do its thing in mid air.

I use a gps thing that calculates distance. nice christmas present from the parents lol plus im a college student so I do have alot of free time to practice..... which I spend several hours a day doing so.

This is my bag:
ESP Surge
Star xcaliber
champion groove
champion valk
viper (beat up)
avenger ss
drone
z buzz
kc pro rock
pro D challenger

Latest posts