• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need forarm help!

jaw4

Bogey Member
So I began the sport throwing forarm...got pre amazing on it. Then as i got more into it I learned backhand as well. I then had a setback because of shoulder surgery. Couldn't throw forarm at all because it hurt and was limited to backhand for 2 years. My shoulder is now good enough though and as I try... I can't figure out how I used to do it! My disc either comes off floppy as hell or digs into the ground.

As someone who cant throw side arm at all, it doesnt sound like you have a specific problem, but rather need to build it from the start. Sure there are plenty of "ground up" tutorials on the web.

I'm going through a similar thing right now actually. Used to throw exclusively sidearm but then began trying to figure out backhand and in the process lost what used to make me so good with sidearm. I didn't get a chance to play for 4 months and it had similar effects. For "re-learning" how to throw sidearm I'd suggest the disc-down method. I'm not sure what you are throwing now but when I started back up I went straight to the high speed drivers that I used to use and they didn't work the same. I went down to lower speeds (9-11 or so) and started re-inventing my throw as well as changing the throwing stance. It sounds like you are leaving your wrist loose or having troubles getting your elbow around to lead your hand into the throw, you may try to slow it down and run through your throwing motion without actually throwing the disc to get a feel for where your hand/disc positioning is as well as where your stance resides.

There's a pretty good video floating around on here that explains it good. I'll try to find it and post it here.

My advice is this, get a putter to learn how to throw cleanly, you don't have to throw them far, just cleanly, I'd say something more neutral like a magic, but a wizard gives you a bit more leeway and is fine also, anything along those lines.

Once you can throw flick one of those out there on a clean straight line around 125-150ish, pick up a neutral to understable driver, i recommend a sidewinder for this in particular, or maybe even something like a leopard. Just focus on keeping that clean snap while slowly building up your arm speed,keep the palm up and make sure it stays that way thru the follow through.

Last edited:
Or get a max and just throw it as hard as you can, kid.

Two different solutions, one is a permanent fix, one is not.

Your pick :eek:

keep your palm up when you throw no matter what angle you want.
make sure to get your elbow close to your body at some point during your throw.. it will help to keep the disc on more of a straight line.
I forehand putters just as well as I do drivers.. work on the timing of when to "flick" your fingers forward.
Don't overdo it.. you can generate enormous power from just your wrist and finger movement.. A lot of people just throw forehands too hard.

-Scott Lewis
Hyzer Flip Disc Golf

what do you mean dig, turn and burn? or are you literally throwing it into the dirt? I know a lot of people say you should disc down to work on form, but I went overstable and it's worked out well for me. If you're planning on going pro, disc down, if you just want to take your friend's money, disc up, just IMHO.

I disagree. I figured out how to play DG on my own, started off with a 175g XCAL, did everything "wrong", I learned how to FH with that driver. Fast foward 2 years, I can FH a boss 450 feet on a flex shot, I can hyzer a FH shot from 0-350 feet without any issues, I can FH an Ape on a very tight line 350 feet, I can anhyzer a fh shot anywhere from 150-350 feet, I can stiffen my wrist up and FH a nice straight shot with my ridge putter 0-150 feet, the only thing I can't do FH is a consistant anhyzer shot from 0-150 because half the time it'll turn into a roller, but luckily that is a real easy BH shot.

You don't need to have perfect form to be pretty good, that's the great thing about the massive disc selection available these days.

I don't doubt you Doelman, I'm sure you can hold your own. I do believe discing down adds control though, not just as my opinion, but as a fact.

I'm not saying I'm great by any means. My personal experience tells me that throwing a Boss on a 450' flex line will seriously screw with your form, and definitely your consistency.

You don't need to have perfect form to be pretty good, that's the great thing about the massive disc selection available these days.

Depends if you're content with being 'pretty good', or if you aspire to play to the best of your abilities.

Some ppl take DG more seriously than others, and that's OK. I'm all for as many ppl playing DG as possible -- assuming they don't create negative attention from the public.

i feel like when you get too technical dg turns into a psycological game.....like ball golf...you are always thinking head dwon...don't turn your wrist.....just go have fun feel your throw....be the disc be the disc....hehehe

I don't doubt you Doelman, I'm sure you can hold your own. I do believe discing down adds control though, not just as my opinion, but as a fact.

I'm not saying I'm great by any means. My personal experience tells me that throwing a Boss on a 450' flex line will seriously screw with your form, and definitely your consistency.

It definitely depends on how serious you are about the sport. I'm very serious about the sport, I'm serious in the way that when I go out there, I'm going to have fun. I'm not serious in the way that I want to go out there and beat every single person, or become a highly ranked player.

When I first started, I tried to fix my form, watched hours on hours of videos, practiced every day, but my FH form so closely resembles 12 years of baseball habits I just can't break it. I was on the verge of quitting the sport until someone suggested I disc up, I did, shaved off at least 10 strokes in a few months time and have loved it ever since.

Work on a stand still shot. Work hyzers, annies, and straight shots. Once you get to a confident point work on your runup to get more distance. When coming thru keep elbow at side and snap.

My FH shot is 20% arm 80% wrist. Last week a guy asked me how much my FH shot cost? And I said about 25,000 throws. Practice, Practice, Practice

I had the same problem, started out throwing forehand then after years of backhand I completely lost all my fh ability.
What fixed it for me was learning to throw little (50'-75') putter approaches. Once you can throw a putter clean fh you've pretty much got it.

It took about two weeks of throwing the putter fh in warm ups and during rounds before it finally came back to me. Now I can confidently throw my teebird fh out to 350'. Definitely plan to continue working on it till I can get longer shots but you get the idea.
Day 1- garbage. 2 weeks later a fh shot I can use.
My advice is to start short, 50'-75'