• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I need to find a driver for a beginner

Hey welcome Angel, I see you are sorta local, hope to see you guys around some day!!

The first discs that I could throw well, in the order that I first began to master them, were:

Archangel
Stingray
Leopard
Teebird
Sidewinder

But really, any low-speed, understable disc will be very forgiving for a beginner.

That said, I would stay away from the Kite. That disc confuses and frightens me.

Last edited:
I agree the Valkyrie is too much of a jump from a skeeter. I think that something like a Leopard or a dragon would be better. The good thing about a dragon is that if it is released hyzer it will flatten back out and go straight. Definitely pick something that is stable or understable.

I agree with Niven42. I ordered a Kite a couple of months ago and I have to say it is a love hate relationship. I throw RHBH and sometimes I can get this disc to turn over beautifully. Others … well lets just say it almost found its way to the trash can a few times. It's kind of like it has a mind of its own. The description says it is for beginners, which I am, but I wouldn't recommend it to other new players. I think it will take some time working with it to get use to it.

We walked up on a family out on the course the other day. Mom and Dad had been playing for about 6 years and were trying to teach their early teen daughter to play. We gave them a few pointers (including how to use the power grip) and then I handed the girl a 166 very-beat-in Leopard which she proceeded to throw not only straight but further than her parents. We had so much fun just throwing in the field after the round was finished that we wound up staying until the park was closing. I highly recommend giving new players some of your old plastic so they get to see the difference in performance between new and beat-in discs. My best recommendations for beginner discs are Leopards, Sharks and Archangels. They should practice with them until they can control them before moving on to high speed drivers.

Newbie question:

I'm a beginner, and I live in a small town, so there aren't many/any pros around to guide us on the course. My wife is starting to play too, but she has very slow arm speed (she's petite). She started with a TeeRex (my bad) but now has a 150g Cobra. My newbie question is why should beginners start with an understable disc compared to an overstable disc? Don't you want to be able to have it fly straight instead of dipping quickly?
My newbie questions aside - I may now consider finding a Leopard for my wife.

Because most beginners can't get a lot of arm speed or spin on discs, it's a whole lot easier to throw a disc that wants to stay straight and stay up in the air (understable) as opposed to one that just wants to hyzer out and crash to the ground (overstable).

As a new player, I have to say that I really love throwing the leopard and/or gazelle. My last round I threw nothing but those two on my drives and posted my best score yet. They're just so easy to use, especially if you don't know much about technique (i.e. this guy).

As a new player, I have to say that I really love throwing the leopard and/or gazelle. My last round I threw nothing but those two on my drives and posted my best score yet. They're just so easy to use, especially if you don't know much about technique (i.e. this guy).

Yea, I was leaning on getting him a Gazelle

In all of these threads I always say the Stingray. second choice would be sidewinder or leopard.

Don't forget about hand size in considering what might work best -- I have pretty small hands, and as much as I've tried, I have a hard time getting an Archangel to do what I want. No problem at all with the Leopard, or Rocs, or understable discs like my trusty Stingrays, etc., but the wider rim on faster distance drivers just doesn't seem to work for me, and I think it's partly the rim -- it's just not comfortable for me.

Also, weight matters. While even newer players may need a heavier disc or two for windy days, there's a lot to be said for starting way down in weight -- 150g Leopard or similar disc -- and moving up in speed and weight only when you start regularly flipping 'em into the ground.

I've actually been hearing from several guys with decent arms that they're throwing more lightweight discs recently and getting good results with them. So they're not just for newbies and noodle-arms.

I have one, but I don't know. They seem like they would be a little understable, even for a newbie

A sidewinder was my longest disc for quite a while when I was learning. An understable driver will help a newer player learn to get distance with good form, rather than just rolling their wrist over to compensate for the fade.

Latest posts