• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

i suck

Circleyrvowels

Bogey Member
well, after much practice and reading on these forums i can max out a drive around 300 with a katana or a sidewinder. So i am starting over i'll take out all drives except two leopards and one teebird everything else in my bag will be putters and midrange. Questions, comments, and any helpful suggestion would be great i'm really trying hard to get better and it seems to be going nowhere

Get 2 or 3 more teebirds and take the lot out to a field. Pick a target and throw. You'll probably get real close to 300 with those teebirds after a couple days of practice. Just keep with it your distance will get better with accuracy in tow.

well, after much practice and reading on these forums i can max out a drive around 300 with a katana or a sidewinder. So i am starting over i'll take out all drives except two leopards and one teebird everything else in my bag will be putters and midrange. Questions, comments, and any helpful suggestion would be great i'm really trying hard to get better and it seems to be going nowhere

Yep. Welcome to the club.

I think people tend to get carried away with the whole "I can only throw x distance."

If you're not planning on being a pro (and seriously, how many of us really truly believe we can be pro) and just out for a good time on the course, distance doesn't really matter.

Having fun does. As long as you're having fun, the rest will fall into place (or not) eventually. :)

You're on the right track dropping your "fast" drivers out of your bag. Once you can push leopards and teebirds well past 300, then you still won't have a use for those damn katanas ;)

If you can find a pro or advanced player to critique your throw, all the better. If you have access to a camera, maybe take a video of your throw and post it for critique.

+1000 on field work. Learn some drills and practice.

My game improved drastically in the past two weeks alone once I stopped worrying about distance and focused more on where I needed the disc.

I went from able to think about 250ish feet to landing 300 once I stopped worrying about distance. Nothing really changed technically, I just started letting all the dg mojo flow.

Yep. Welcome to the club.

I think people tend to get carried away with the whole "I can only throw x distance."

If you're not planning on being a pro (and seriously, how many of us really truly believe we can be pro) and just out for a good time on the course, distance doesn't really matter.

Having fun does. As long as you're having fun, the rest will fall into place (or not) eventually.

I don't think that I can be pro but i've played two pdga sanctioned tourneys and was not competitive in the least (I finished last and second to last) (in intermediate and rec divisions) all i want is to give my self a chance to be competitive.

I don't think that I can be pro but i've played two pdga sanctioned tourneys and was not competitive in the least (I finished last and second to last) (in intermediate and rec divisions) all i want is to give my self a chance to be competitive.

"I coulda been uh contenda!" :D

My game improved drastically in the past two weeks alone once I stopped worrying about distance and focused more on where I needed the disc.

I went from able to think about 250ish feet to landing 300 once I stopped worrying about distance. Nothing really changed technically, I just started letting all the dg mojo flow.

Well said. Worry more about making the disc go where you want it to go, than how far . I knew a guy that could throw over 400ft, but he had a hard time making it go exactly where he needed it.

Somebody has a signature on here saying "It's all about the second shot".

I finished dead last in an intermediate tourney this year. It was my first tourney. I had some great shots and parked a 300 ft driver for a birdy round 1 hole 3. Then i had some very very bad second shots that were hard to recover, bogey after bogey.

Since that tourney, i knew distance wasn't the be-all end-all for competitive play. It's all about accuracy and how you handle that second shot (putt or approach or fairway drive). And i've been working on that since.

Work on your upshots and putting. Try to get all of your upshots to within a 10' radius of the basket. Pick a putting distance you're comfortable with (in the 20-25' range) and try to make 3 out of 4 consistently from that range. You'll get competitive quick.

I've been playing about 2.5 yrs and the biggest thing I've learned from tourneys is this. Putting wins tourneys! I've been finishing in DFL(dead F***in Last) in most tourneys as well. :wall: I bought a basket this year and have been practicing more on my short game and tied for 4th yesterday in Kokomo! If you can putt; long drives don't matter near as much.
And as Steady Ed said "He who has the most fun, Wins!":)

Solid plan. But i would even recommend taking it a step farther. Just work a putter and a mid. I started doing exactly what you are doing about 3 or 4 months ago. I kept going nowhere. Got frustrated as hell. Then it dawned on me that I was throwing my Core almost as far as my Leopard and Teebird, but I had much better control. So I started to throw a Spike off the pad on almost everything under 200'. Unless there is some line I need a faster disc to hit I use the Spike. I throw my Core on everything else longer. Every once in a while I chuck a Leopard or Teebird just to humor myself. This week I FINALLY felt like I am getting somewhere. I hit some Core drives that went over 250' with no fade. Just straight, sweet shots. I got the Spike over 200' with no fade. Great shot to have in the woods. Now I ma going to try to get the Spike to 250' and the Core to 300'. If I can get there, then I will break out a Teebird, Leopard or some other driver. The only time I am throwing a driver now is if I need something stable in the wind. Then I throw a Striker or Banshee. It is starting to work. Hang in there. I suck too. There is hope.

Yeah I would stick to those teebirds, maybe some buzzzs or rocs(w/e fits your fancy) and just throw those. over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over, and then once more

even my teebirds act really overstable for me i've heard on here how straight they go so i bought a dx one to beat in fast so maybe that will stay straighter as far as the star one it still acts overstable

Having fun does. As long as you're having fun, the rest will fall into place (or not) eventually. :)

Distance matters not if accuracy you don't possess. Jukeshoe also speaks the truth here about why you should be playing. If you don't believe me, check my sig.

You hafta have a plan for each hole and shot. Don't try to hit the basket every tee off. Know what lines your able to hit and stick to em.
The most important part is putting- practice it.
Once you feel like your form is decent enough to start tweeking it, nothing will help as much as playing with great players.

Good luck and don't get discouraged, it's easy to have fun but not easy to learn proper technique.

Latest posts