• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] I Want to go from US hyzerflip to Flex distance

skurf

* Ace Member *
Bronze level trusted reviewer
For my max distance drivers RHBH I've been throwing understable discs (Vulcan, Bolt, etc.) on a hyzerflip line but I'm tired of the touchiness. Too many times the disc will turn over and not fade back due to a slight gust of headwind, a bit of OAT, or not enough hyzer angle.

I'm looking to move to flex shots with a flat release for a more reliable fade at the end of the drive. What are some discs that would be good for this?

For reference I throw max d about 350 or a bit further on a pure distance line, and something like a Destroyer I have to release with a bit of anhyzer to get it to flex, which is not what I'm looking for.

For my max distance drivers RHBH I've been throwing understable discs (Vulcan, Bolt, etc.) on a hyzerflip line but I'm tired of the touchiness. Too many times the disc will turn over and not fade back due to a slight gust of headwind, a bit of OAT, or not enough hyzer angle.

I'm looking to move to flex shots with a flat release for a more reliable fade at the end of the drive. What are some discs that would be good for this?

For reference I throw max d about 350 or a bit further on a pure distance line, and something like a Destroyer I have to release with a bit of anhyzer to get it to flex, which is not what I'm looking for.

Opto air culverin 158g

Gstar daedulus

Star shryke light weight or even Max weight if you just give it a touch of anny

New champ roadrunner/sidewinder

My max D is the same as you and after i have tested around 100 drivers, the two i like the most for that kind of flight is:

156g Blizzard Wraith and 156 Star Shryke. . if i want more stability i just go up in weight

You are trading wind problems for release problems. Even Nikko, arguable the best Flex line player there is, still has shots where he does not get the release angle correct and he dumps the disc OB.

Unless you are:
1. Doing a full reach back AND
2. Are low back dominate
You are creating more problems than you are solving.

Learn to throw a neutral flying disc on a distance line before moving over to a flex distance line.

I throw about the same distance as the OP and I agree with Wolfmandagon. There's no problem putting an overstable complement in the bag for headwinds, but most of the time hyzerflips are still probably going to be your best bet on max distance shots.

I dabbled in forced flexes for max distance for a while and my driving accuracy actually got worse. I'd have the occasional crush and convince myself that I could learn to execute the shot consistently...but that consistency never occurred. I'm back to hyzerflipping stuff like Trespasses and Waves (both a little slower but also a touch more stable that the discs you're throwing) and finding myself in a good position off the tee way more often. I do carry Wraiths and occasionally a PDx for headwinds and controlled hyzers, but I'm typically better off throwing flippy stuff.

Now, the answer to the question you actually asked: Star Shryke (as domey as you can find) as a stable complement to the Vulcan/Bolt. Bump up to a Lucid Raider if you want some added overstability, but not quite Destroyer level stability. Yo also can try dropping down to a slightly smaller rim for some extra control...Wraiths and Photons are a good place to start, or a Trespass if those discs don't flex enough for you.

You can stick with the hyzerflips, just pick a disc with slightly more beef. A heavy star Shryke would probably work, as would a lucid Sheriff or star Katana. You'll get the high speed turn, but the disc won't turn all the way over.

If you want to throw flex lines you'll need a disc that has initial high speed turn, but also has decent late fade. At 350' distance you could get by with a Wraith, Destroyer, or maybe a Raider. A Ballista could also work.

If you really want to unleash some power, learn to release the disc anny. Done properly this produces massive S curve flex power. There are tutorial vids out there that will show you how to throw anny, if you have any interest.

I throw about the same distance as the OP and I agree with Wolfmandagon. There's no problem putting an overstable complement in the bag for headwinds, but most of the time hyzerflips are still probably going to be your best bet on max distance shots.

I dabbled in forced flexes for max distance for a while and my driving accuracy actually got worse. I'd have the occasional crush and convince myself that I could learn to execute the shot consistently...but that consistency never occurred. I'm back to hyzerflipping stuff like Trespasses and Waves (both a little slower but also a touch more stable that the discs you're throwing) and finding myself in a good position off the tee way more often. I do carry Wraiths and occasionally a PDx for headwinds and controlled hyzers, but I'm typically better off throwing flippy stuff.

Now, the answer to the question you actually asked: Star Shryke (as domey as you can find) as a stable complement to the Vulcan/Bolt. Bump up to a Lucid Raider if you want some added overstability, but not quite Destroyer level stability. Yo also can try dropping down to a slightly smaller rim for some extra control...Wraiths and Photons are a good place to start, or a Trespass if those discs don't flex enough for you.

I agree with this. Throwing the disc high and anny for distance produces my best power. I get these crazy sweeping S curves that stay in the air forever. That said, the consistency is awful. There are a lot of variables to a good anny shot. Sometimes the disc won't fade back, or you'll put too much anny on it initially and spike it into the ground right. If you throw an anny shot poorly you generally get a high, lazy stall that goes nowhere.

When I'm feeling it I'll start throwing anny bombs out past 450'. If I'm not feeling it everything will be stalled and not have enough anny on it.

Hyzerflipping is way easier, but I don't quite get max distance out of it. The key there is using a disc with some high speed turn, but also decent late fade.

The Tern (in Star or Champion, and heavier weights) might be a happy medium between the understable discs like the Vulcan and more OS discs like the Destroyer. The Infinite Discs line Pharaoh might also fit well here, as well as the Sheriff.

Star Wraith in the 160s. GStar and Pro have better glide for max distance, you just have to go heavier. They will show some turn but always fade back if you give them the height. Pro will get flippy eventually.

Thanks for the advice so far. Two of the discs I thought might get mentioned for this are the Freedom and King. Is there a reason nobody has mentioned these? I have thrown the Freedom a bit and at first I tried to hyzerflip it, but it was too beefy for me to do that. When released flat I was getting some nice S shots, but have only done this throw like twice. I haven't thrown a King at all. Maybe these discs are too fast for 350' distance?

Thanks for the advice so far. Two of the discs I thought might get mentioned for this are the Freedom and King. Is there a reason nobody has mentioned these? I have thrown the Freedom a bit and at first I tried to hyzerflip it, but it was too beefy for me to do that. When released flat I was getting some nice S shots, but have only done this throw like twice. I haven't thrown a King at all. Maybe these discs are too fast for 350' distance?

Freedom is flat garbage. Even if you hyzerflip it the disc will most likely turn and burn. The Freedom is really long, but extremely hard to get on a good distance line. All the thing wants to do is flip over. If you don't quite get enough on it the disc stalls uselessly. I'd rate the Freedom as one of the worst high speed driver molds ever made. DD discontinued it for a reason.

The King is somewhat better, but I still don't highly recommend it. Really flippy and hard to control. At 350' you'd probably have OK luck with a King. Any longer than that and you'll be flipping it wildly.

Look hard at the Tern and Shryke if you really want a good hyzerflip disc. Both of those will provide every inch of distance your arm is capable of.

Freedom is flat garbage. Even if you hyzerflip it the disc will most likely turn and burn. The Freedom is really long, but extremely hard to get on a good distance line. All the thing wants to do is flip over. If you don't quite get enough on it the disc stalls uselessly. I'd rate the Freedom as one of the worst high speed driver molds ever made. DD discontinued it for a reason..

Agree the Freedom is one of the worst molds ever made. Not just high speed molds, but all molds. Additionally, it's one of the most inconsistently made molds ever: one disc will be flippy understable, and the next will be a glideless, overstable brick. And like Twmccoy said, it's OOP (and good riddance).

Agree the Freedom is one of the worst molds ever made. Not just high speed molds, but all molds. Additionally, it's one of the most inconsistently made molds ever: one disc will be flippy understable, and the next will be a glideless, overstable brick. And like Twmccoy said, it's OOP (and good riddance).

I just can't think of any class player who would benefit from throwing a Freedom. Very new players don't have the skill to put it on a distance line consistently, and skilled players sure as hell want nothing to do with a mold that flippy.

DD makes a couple pretty good understable drivers, but the Freedom isn't one of them. Heck, even the Captain is worth a look. Frankly, I like the Captain more than the King. It just flies in a more manageable manner, and isn't as prone to flipping.

Throwing a good hyzerflip is a great skill to have for any disc golfer. However, if you choose the wrong disc it'll become a shot you learn to dread and fear throwing on the course. The Freedom is 100% the wrong disc choice for anything except possibly rollers.

King is a good disc, but it is a hyzerflip disc at 350' power and you said you don't want to do max D hyzerflips anymore. I have no experience with Feedoms (nor do I plan to) so can't help you there.

Star Tern or Star wraith for sure! But I don't throw flex lines unless the shot really calls for it.

The Freedom is justly OOP. It's the Dynamic Disc's Groove. The King is usually way too sensitive. There's only like 1 run of domey Kings that would be good for what you're looking for but they're too hard to track down.

At your distance, you might want to look at a Trespass. They like to S-curve naturally and generally fly a full-flight line well if you throw them flat. Trying to throw perfectly flat for max D is really setting difficulty mode to hard though. Way easier to either find a less touchy disc you can hyzerflip and still hook up or a more HSS disc than you can flex on an easily repeatable anny line. GL :thmbup:

The Nuke SS doesn't ever get much love, except in the hyzerflip department. It's pretty reliable there if you have the armspeed for it, which it sounds like you have.

I'm gonna take a different approach to answer this than anyone else. Look at something slightly OS with some turn, but in the speed 9/10 area. I'm thinking Undertaker or CD2 here. They fly almost as far as most distance drivers but are more controllable which should lead to more consistent distance for someone who is used to hyzerflipping US stuff for distance.