• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Ideal Mid Setup

If your trying to stick with Discraft, I'd suggest a Drone or Zone for an OS complement and a beat up X Comet or Meteor for understable.
If you'd want other companies, Fuse, Tursas, Tangent, beat up Roc, Kite, M4 for US::: Gator, Trident(kind of a fairway driver), Resistor, Tensor, M1 for OS
I used to carry a Drone, Wasp, Buzzz, Comet combo in my bag because the Wasp was a lot more stable than my Buzzzs, but not nearly as stable as my Drone.
Since then I've dropped the Buzzes and Wasps for Ghosts. I've got a Pinnacle and an Icon Ghost that are slightly OS to S. I still carry the Drone for windy days and a utility disc.
Now I'm rockin' the Drone, Ghost, Comet combo.

3 discs: FLX Drone, Z Buzzz-SS, ESP Comet
4 discs: FLX Drone, Z Buzzz, Z Buzzz-SS, ESP Comet
5 discs: FLX Drone, Z Buzzz, Z Buzzz-SS, ESP Comet, X Comet (beat)

This is what I use:

Zone - overstable utility
Fresh Buzzz - straight with good fade
Beat Buzzz - hyzer-flip to straight without fade
Meteor - hyzer-flip turnovers

It works pretty well. The Zone is more of a utility disc than a midrange, though. I don't really use it off the tee much.

I love a Buzzz. I personally run with a beaded metal flake Gator (hyzer approaches), beadless Gator (skip shots), Ti Wasp(good fade), Cryztal Buzzz(workhorse, 230-260' drives), and a DX Stingray (flippy, glidey goodness). I'm not a good player, but I like my lineup, and throw each mid on nearly every round.

Last edited:
If going for an all Discraft mid lineup (a wise choice in my opinion, they have the best all around mid lineup available) I would suggest Z Wasp, Z Buzzz and X Comet or ESP Meteor. Throw a Zone or Drone in there depending on what kind of midrange beef you prefer.

Meteor compliments the Buzzz very well. Hyzerflip to tunrover. You can find some nice flatter ones in the current Z run (first run).

I carry a Roc3 or Ti Wasp when I want a little more fade. A new Z Buzzz would work as well.

Drone is strictly forehand for me.

Last edited:
Without reading any other posts in this thread...

I used to throw all discraft mids, and I loved my lineup. It was basically based around the buzzz, and that's what really led me to the compliments.

US I went with the ESP Meteor. The rim felt fairly similar to the buzzz since neither have a bead and they are both very low profile.

OS I went with the Z Hornet. Same reasoning as the Meteor...Beadless, flat, and low-profile.

To compliment these I would also a premium plastic Zone and Challenger for various upshots, drives, and utilities.

Since you are in MN I'll assume you are playing in the cold. Get some Vibram discs for that reason.

I throw 2 wasps (one beat straight and the other is super beefy), a buzz, then a comet for my mids and that works amazingly well

I've settled on an ESP Comet for when I need understable, a Z Buzz for stable (playing with an ESP as well right now but think I'll stick with the Z for my bag), and am currently testing a Drone and a Zone... looking like the Zone will probably be the one that makes the bag, although I can push the Drone out a bit further...

I've settled on an ESP Comet for when I need understable, a Z Buzz for stable (playing with an ESP as well right now but think I'll stick with the Z for my bag), and am currently testing a Drone and a Zone... looking like the Zone will probably be the one that makes the bag, although I can push the Drone out a bit further...

Make sure to try out a Hornet too. It has a speed of 5 and a glide of 5 so this overstable midrange has a ton of uses.

It won't overlap with your Zone like a Drone would. :thmbup:

I like my was wasp 170 z. It goes pretty straight if fighting a head wind, no worries of it turning over in normal conditions and can hyzer shape around stuff on light approaches. It hooks hard left on an easy toss. Can also throw a short, steep, anny and the stability pulls it back to a flat glide to the right. I also throw a mako III . Nice gentle anny, slow hyzer, and right up the pipe. The mako is forgiving on less than perfect throws and doesn't get too far out of line.

Comet and Zone. Comet, Buzzz, Zone, probably the 3 best discs Discraft makes.

My mom biught me a Z Drone that I'll get at Christmas (i had to order for her), so how does that compare in terms of stability to FLX?

inital stability is the same just about. however the FLX gains the ability to hold a straighter line longer as it ages.

I have a buzzz. What should i use as an OS compliment and an US compliment?

since you live in a DG Mecca, if I were you, I would ask around on the forums and see if someone would be willing to meet up with you and let you try a stack of different mids, or even get a gaggle of yourselves together and have a field day trying discs out you havent tried.

Last edited:

Latest posts