• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan members! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a shame that so many courses designed by the same person/company share the same safety issues. Apparently, there have not been enough complaints and/or incidents to cause a real change in the way they design and install courses.

Just because there haven't been enough injuries to actually get courses pulled doesn't mean it's not putting out a terrible image of our sport and the people who play it to local communities and park districts.

Hard to convince yourself to drive 3 hours to get to a crowded course with a wait on every tee :) I love Madison area courses, but if I do get out there it's usually an early morning thing so I could get out of there by noon when the crowds hit in full force.

Agreed. We do the same. The new course in Marshall, WI is absolutely "insert dirty reference to something awesome here."

There's 9 more holes at Token, now, too.

Rumour of both Madison courses going paid next summer, along with another (mreh) course opening. We're working on it!

Its amazing after talking with many players........looking at many other forums.........playing in other disc golf hot spot areas of the country.......talking with many other experienced designers/players that this still keeps happening. We are not the only ones that feel this way and the best thing that any of us can do is let our voices be heard (speak to your local park directors, forest preserves, visitor bureaus, neighbors and support people who are pushing for this in any way you can). It won't fix everything right away, but over time it will.

........bare in mind I appreciate all the volunteer work that anybody has put in. There may be no money in volunteer work, but thats ok. In the end (if you really love this sport) we will benefit from being able to play worthy courses........personally that is payment enough for me. And think of all that gas money you guys will be saving by not having to drive extensive amounts to play some good disc golf.

end rant..............

ps.......ace pot at geneva is 132 come on down, up or sideways

Agreed. We do the same. The new course in Marshall, WI is absolutely "insert dirty reference to something awesome here."

There's 9 more holes at Token, now, too.

Rumour of both Madison courses going paid next summer, along with another (mreh) course opening. We're working on it!

Yep, the last trip we made out there we hit up Elver first thing, then Heistand. We left Heistand around noon and got to Token, then just as Token was getting busy we left to play the new course in Marshall. Pretty fun series of courses. I'm still not sure how I feel about Marshall. It was all either wide open bombs or shortie technical shots. Nothing in-between.

Just because there haven't been enough injuries to actually get courses pulled doesn't mean it's not putting out a terrible image of our sport and the people who play it to local communities and park districts.

I agree! However, bad publicity is better than no publicity.....

amirightORamiright??? :\

In all seriousness, I do not want to see any courses pulled for any reason. This situation is just mind-boggling. They most likely do not consult anyone other than a Park District rep for feedback prior to making their design "final" prior to installation.

Some old man once told me that insanity = repeating the same mistakes and expecting different results. For some reason, this always comes to mind when I visit a course designed by Midwest Disc Golf. :wall:

I'll be passing through Madison in about an hour, actually. A little late for discing though...

What course is the Marshall one? I couldn't dig that one up. :confused:

How did I miss that? Are I stoopid?

Bird's Ruins is a great name, though. That has character.

Waiting to hear from the city of Streator, but most likely the IL State Dubs Championships will be held at both Pine and Streator.

This will allow me to accommodate double the players.

This is awesome news.
Thanks for all of your hard work, Dana.
Keep me posted, I know many civic minded people here that would likely help register people or help out in general, etc.

I saw this first hand last week at Madison Meadows. Although I was not playing, I was watching my sons football practice. I watching a drive from #4, I watched a disc land within 20 ft of parents on chairs. Funny thing is no seemed to even notice. It's a matter of time before someone gets hurt, then the lawsuits follow.

I saw this first hand last week at Madison Meadows. Although I was not playing, I was watching my sons football practice. I watching a drive from #4, I watched a disc land within 20 ft of parents on chairs. Funny thing is no seemed to even notice. It's a matter of time before someone gets hurt, then the lawsuits follow.

That has always been a problem at Lombard...........and the park department has told the football coaches and the parents of the football players to stay clear of the disc golf course. The problem is the parents and the football coaches don't listen (and want to stay in the shade) so they intrude on the course.............Not the designers fault.

IMO the only couple dangerous things I see at the meadows are......hole 2 (sometimes its hard to see people walking up the path)

hole 3.......the bench next to the water

and hole 10's long tee (which very few even know exist)......is awfully close to that baseball field

Unfortunately, more than half those people don't even notice the tee pads and people with "frizbees".

^^ True.......but the coaches have been talked to. They know and most of them abide........some of them just don't care............If number 8 is there he'll get them out of the way

IMO the only couple dangerous things I see at the meadows are......hole 2 (sometimes its hard to see people walking up the path)

hole 3.......the bench next to the water

and hole 10's long tee (which very few even know exist)......is awfully close to that baseball field

Those might be the only safety issues if only experienced, courteous players went there. I see newer players out there all the time who are completely unwilling to wait 30 seconds for a pedestrian to pass, and throw right over their heads. That turns about 2/3 of the course into a safety issue with the amount of walking path conflict out there.

Are you talking about old 10's tee? Directly behind the left field fence? I thought I was going to get nailed by a homer on that tee, but the kid only had warning track power. I've never played from that tee since they moved the basket. Maybe I'll try it next time.

It's kind of surprising that the course hasn't been pulled due to safety issues. So many of the chuckers seem to think that they own the park, and other users should know to stay out of the way. Why is it so hard to wait a minute to tee?

I got thrown on the other day here in Madison, back in the woods at Hiestand. It was a guy and his daughter. I was in the middle of my putt and I heard the unmistakeable sound of plastic hitting the hard ground. I was not thrilled. Their comment was "we'd never get to you." It was a 200 foot hole from the AMs they were playing. And they were pretty close to me.

Ultimately, it's a lack of patience and respect that causes all of the problems. I think a lot of it is this stigma DG has...you have to drink or smoke to play. I hate it. Some people are respectful and just enjoy themselves.

However, when I see a guy with one disc and he carries a cooler instead of a bag and all he does is hammer....it tells me everything that's wrong with all of it.

Are you talking about old 10's tee? Directly behind the left field fence? I thought I was going to get nailed by a homer on that tee, but the kid only had warning track power. I've never played from that tee since they moved the basket. Maybe I'll try it next time.

It's kind of surprising that the course hasn't been pulled due to safety issues. So many of the chuckers seem to think that they own the park, and other users should know to stay out of the way. Why is it so hard to wait a minute to tee?

There is a long tee (blue tee very hard to find) directly north north west of tens concrete tee. Go check it out and take a look. Its a cool shot, but if there is a baseball game going on on the field to the left......spectators and players alike are in range.....and they are blind to it

There is a long tee (blue tee very hard to find) directly north north west of tens concrete tee. Go check it out and take a look. Its a cool shot, but if there is a baseball game going on on the field to the left......spectators and players alike are in range.....and they are blind to it

Sweet, I'll check it out next time I'm at MM.

Those might be the only safety issues if only experienced, courteous players went there. I see newer players out there all the time who are completely unwilling to wait 30 seconds for a pedestrian to pass, and throw right over their heads. That turns about 2/3 of the course into a safety issue with the amount of walking path conflict out there.

I know what you're saying, although I'm not entirely opposed to a walking path being near a hole as long as everybody (player/pedestrian) can see each other coming. I'm not sure even good design can completely make up for blatant disregard of common sense. If a player hits another person it's there fault regardless of the design (but the design should always have safety in mind). Look at all the golf courses out there with 500,000 houses sitting right next to the fairways. You hit a house with the golf ball and do damage......guess what?.......you're gonna pay for it.

Is anyone playing the illinois championships this weekend? Ill be there on sunday with my bag tag if anyone wants to trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts