• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Illianasconsinigan members! (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lately it has been Streamwood.

Past Winners:

2007: Fox Valley Metro Disc Golf Club
2008: DISContinuum Disc Golf Club
2009: Streamwood Disc Golfers Union
2010: Streamwood Disc Golfers Union
2011: Streamwood Disc Golfers Union
2012: Streamwood Disc Golfers Union

Jtown, Discontinuum, Streamwood, and I think part of the Dekalb club is going to roll into the FV one (due to their smaller club size)

Thats all I know of

All clubs are open to compete but I believe the criteria is that the club has to be a legit club (paperwork and all), and have at least 10 or 14 (I forget) members able to compete.

Each club the players are split into two pools (separated by rating, <935 lower and >=935 upper). The top 6 scores from upper pool and the top 8 scores from lower pool count.

My numbers might be a bit off but generally that's how it goes.

The reason Streamwood has been so victorious lately is because yes, they have a large number of strong advanced/open members and a good number of strong intermediate players. Most clubs fare alright until they get to the bottom few scores that count towards each division and at that point they're drawing scores from 700 or 800 rated players which totally skew things. Streamwood has enough good players that members with really low ratings don't make it into the top whatever spots whose scores count.

Jtown, Discontinuum, Streamwood, and I think part of the Dekalb club is going to roll into the FV one (due to their smaller club size)

Thats all I know of

I believe GRABM from Rockford has played with us in the past as well. I don't know if they're going to this year, but they have enough members to participate.

I don't know about that one. Haven't heard that before.

Last year when they had the club challenge at the Grey Fox and Red Rox in Wisconsin they didn't invite any Wisconsin clubs. They didn't even talk to the local club, SLFDGC(kind of defunct because one of the main guys moved away, but still they could have talked to the locals.) I looked into what it would take to be a part of it, we could have met the requirements, but they weren't interested in letting us in. Kind of an a hole move, but from everything I have heard it is par for the course for them. Later I found out that they claimed the reason was that Terry Miller was hosting a tournament the same day and they didn't want to take players away from it. But if I remember right it was up in Manitowoc, so that is not really a good reason.

Um, I don't even know what SLFDGC is. I'm sure they (Discontinuum) didn't either. They don't really have time to go out of their way looking for other clubs. You're always welcome to join the forum and say you're willing to participate. It has happened in the past. But don't go upset if we don't go looking for your club.

As for Terry hosting a tournament same weekend, that is a VERY good reason. Terry and Discontinuum have stepped on each others' toes in the past with close proximity tourneys on the same dates so both sides are tired of the drama and are very careful about imposing on the other guy's turf. You better believe if Discontinuum went after guys north of the border same weekend Terry was running an event at Manitowoc someone would hear about it.

In order for your club to play, you must have 15 members present at this event. DISContinuum, Fox Valley Disc Golf Club, Streamwood Disc Golf Union, J-Town Disc Golf Club, and GRABM are the five clubs that have automatic invites. Other criteria to play as a club: established club, paid dues, bag tags, and/or an established website. There will be two divisions: Open/Adv and Int/Rec. Any player with a rating >935 will play Open/Adv. All others will play Int/Rec. Mike Krupicka will be the final judge on ratings. If a player doesn't have a rating, they will play in the upper division.

That's the exact criteria needed to compete. If you feel your club meets that criteria then send a message over to Tom McManus.

I'm tired of "turf" wars. Really brings the sport down IMO. Can't we all just put our big boy pants on and get along? Don't get me wrong, I know clubs do great things for the sport in our area and a lot of volunteers do a lot for our area, but do we really need another one?

"Turf" war in general is an odd way to describe it also.......considering none of the clubs/players in our area "own" any of the "public" turf.......Am I right? Or am I just too much of a realist?

That's the exact criteria needed to compete. If you feel your club meets that criteria then send a message over to Tom McManus.

It would have taken a week or two to get everything in order, but we could have meet the criteria(it was 2+ months before the challenge.) I contacted Tom and the message back was basically don't bother it isn't going to happen.

Whatever, I am just glad they took it south so I don't have to deal with it this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts