• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Im Moving to Cali in late Feb-Early March

Oh I forgot, you'll also be there in time for the tourney at Kings River DGC Visalia's newest 18 hole course. Par 61. Check out PDGA tourney schedule

wait so there is 4 courses right in visalia? dang, i hope the locals dont throw rocks at me like the surfers do for their territory ( totally kidding)

so is there any good bars in Visalia, and venues for concerts? or best restaurants ( yes ik i could look it up i just want Californians opinions)

i lived in the midwest my whole life (23 years) before i moved out to Fresno, it was a bit of a culture shock, but not too bad. First thing's first, get a Cali drivers license, can't get a medical card without a valid CA ID. Second thing, get sun screen. Be ready for 30+ days consecutive of 100+ weather from july all the way through Sept. 3rd, get a reliable car because you're not going to be in Visalia very much, you'll be on the road. Just up the 99 (that's another thing, everyone calls the Hwy's by just the number, you'll get used to it.) is Fresno, only 1 course there (Woodward Legacy) and it's pay to play, not bad but if you go south for a little further you'll be in LA where there are tons of great courses. more than the disc golf though, make sure you go to Yosemite and Sequoia, the second is much closer to Visalia but both are WELL WORTH the 2+ hour trip into the mountains. the Visalia courses aren't bad, but everything in the Central Valley (that's what the area is called, not SoCal or NorCal) is FLAT, so don't expect much. I lived out there for 2 years, I played DeLaVeaga 3 times, shoulda gone more, I didn't play any in LA while I lived out there, I have since. Go to LA play La Mirada, play Huntington Beach, play Oak Grove, play Sylmar. LA is where the sports started so play it all! the further north you go the more expensive things get and the more scenic things get. I wish I would have played San Fran Central park while out there but I did not. You're right in the exact middle of the state basically, so you're gonna be no more than 3 hours drive from the major destinations, so enjoy.

Go visit San Luis Obispo and the surrounding coast (Pismo, Morro, Big Sur, Lompoc). I lived in SLO for 8 years and miss the absolute natural beauty of the area and close proximity to the ocean.

While you're there, play Heilman in Atascadero, Waller Park in Santa Maria, and Laguna Lake in SLO (incredibly underrated course on this site).

Enjoy CA!

Fresno gets bigger concerts and isn't too far. Go to Yosemite, but not after Memorial day when the valley turns into a total zoo for the rest of the summer. The waterfalls are generally going off in the Spring, but this year has been pretty dry.

If you are in cali by the second week in march you can play St patty's Ams or the third weekend is the pro's they are both A-tiers.

Imo the best course within easy reach of Visalia is probably Sky High, which is in Wrightwood. It's probably a 3-hour drive and absolutely worth it (see the reviews). It's built on ski slopes though, so no DG until the snow melts.

Straight to the south (probably about 2 hours) is Sylmar - not quite as good as Sky High but probably the best that the LA Basin has to offer.

Then when you get on out to the coast, there's Casitas, also about 3 hours from you and probably just a hair less stellar than Sky High.

Now, just for fun, there's this:

picture.php

... which is a little out of date but will give you an idea of what's available to the DGer in So Cal.

Sniff. RIP University (Uni) Park, I'll miss you!

Like the other posters said - Visalia is very hot, kind of in the middle of nowhere, there are parts of the central valley that are very dangerous (Fresno is just north of Visalia), you are a short drive to the Sierra Nevada mountains, which are nothing short of heaven, and every labor day weekend the End of Trail Classic occurs, it is an A tier, it always sells out, and is played on the 2 courses in Mooney Grove park, and I really love both courses. The cental valley has their own league, so there is an active community. But you got a 4 hour drive to get to the cooler coast.

I like visalia, I go that way a few times a year. Cant wait to play the new course there.

I'd consider it central Cali. The 36 hole park in town is fun. I wouldn'y play it in the summer if I had the choice due to heat. The outback course is newer and pretty epic IMO. Not a bad home course to have. Pretty sure I added the back course to my favorites.

Shark Tooth is a solid course, lots of elevation. Suicide Flats is a really pleasant walk in the park type course. Plenty of distance and a very pretty environment.

Even if Visalia isn't the best CA has to offer, it's a great middle ground to explore the whole state. As discussed, you're relatively close to tons of courses in SoCal, and similar distance to some great ones up north. Take a long weekend trip up the coast and hit up the Monterey peninsula, both for the beauty, and the disc golf. There are some great courses there - Pinto Lake, Ryan Ranch, CSU Monterey, DeLaveaga. Then head further north and take another trip to the SF Bay Area. Hit up SF Golden Gate Park, Stafford Lake (in Novato - 30 minutes over the Golden Gate Bridge), Skyline (Napa wine country - about another 30 minutes from Novato), and then you can loop around the bay and finish off with two nice 9 hole courses in San Jose on the way south again (Hellyer and Parque De La Raza).

Tim S.