• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

I'm not a beginner, I just throw like one

kmatt333

I've been playing off and on for a few years now and I'm tired of getting smoked in the rec division...I want to get smoked in Intermediate. Really, though, I just want to get on the right track to having a consistent, reliable form. I'm not too worried about distance (yet).

Here are three putter throws--intentionally slow/low powered

Rear view

And here are my "full powered" drives

This is the first time I've videoed my throws....holy nose up release. Where should I start to clean this mess up?

Last edited:
I like how you're working from one leg and staying balanced on the front leg.

Biggest issue i see is that you setup your feet correctly but rotate your front foot before planting and getting all your weight transfered to the front leg/foot.

You need to keep the front foot closed to the target, get your weight on top of the front leg, then swing through then allow your foot to pivot open on the follow through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=um5cS9u_Y0w&t

Attachments

• Selection_003.jpg
    Selection_003.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 13
  • Selection_004.jpg
    Selection_004.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 13
So I need to crush some cans, right? I'm spinning out now and losing all the power or torque from the ground?

I need all my weight to get to the front leg before anything upper body starts moving forward. Is that accurate?

So I need to crush some cans, right? I'm spinning out now and losing all the power or torque from the ground?

I need all my weight to get to the front leg before anything upper body starts moving forward. Is that accurate?
Yes you are on the right track with the cans and the weight timing.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I think I follow:

Set up back toes in line with my front heel and use more hip rotation to close to the target rather than relying on foot position to do it. Make sure to push my rear hip forward more so than swinging my front hip to the rear. Backswing pulls my front heel up. All my weight transfers to the front leg when planting the heel. Then I can swing through.

I've been messing around in my living room and backyard just focusing on putting my heel down firmly--it feels awkward since I'm so accustomed to doing it the wrong way. It's easier for me to get there if I sort of hop into it. Maybe hop is the wrong word...more like a fake right, cut left kind of move. Is that detrimental?

I haven't been able to get out and throw through the week--it's been dark by the time I finish up at work. I've been swinging a flightowel in the backyard and slowly getting more "pops" than "wooshes."

I got some throws on video today and I'm not sure I've made much progress.

You have made progress. There are still things to fix but you're getting better.
I'll let sidewinder fill in the most but I see you are still picking up and bending your front foot/leg unit and readjusting it's angle (although less than previously) before your get all your weight onto the front leg.

Watch how Simon strides forward neutral/slightly closed from x-step and plants with a straighter leg and piles all of his weight onto that front leg.
https://youtu.be/eglmEWigXac?t=172

Trying this out it feels like it keeps my weight much more behind my lead hip, without jamming it up. How do I reconcile this movement with the can crush? I see it in the Schusterick gif....I guess I need to work to get my weight shifting from 4 o'clock to 10 ten o'clock while crushing the can 45 degrees into the ground (instead of over the top)?

I haven't said it yet, but thank you guys a ton for taking a look and offering your help.

Stride front foot forward while turning further back to crush the can toe to heel.

You're "swooping" which is caused by your arm a bit high on reach back and as you come across your chest you arm is lowered and then comes back up at release...causing the swoop and nose up release. Put your arm much lower at reach back and pull through. I'd be shocked if you don't see an immediate improvement on disc flight and distance.

Check out tip #2 in this video. ;)

Good shout and great video, DiscFifty. I have a TERRIBLE nose up problem. I tried the lower reachback while I was throwing yesterday and it definitely helped. I didn't get a huge distance boost, but my understable discs were flying more like understable discs.

My lower body is still a mess, though. I've been working on it more swinging a fight towel around and felt like I was getting more pop on it. I got some muscle soreness in my left hamstring and the outside of my left hip, which I took as a good sign that I was engaging some muscle groups that I'd been leaving out. When I got out to the course it was right back to the same old garbage form that I've always used, though. Once I put the disc in my hand the old habits take over.

So I'm thinking that I take the disc out of the equation completely to focus solely on the footwork. Is this advisable? Or is this the time to start swinging a hammer? Silly questions, probably, but I just want to make sure that I'm heading in the right direction.

So I'm thinking that I take the disc out of the equation completely to focus solely on the footwork. Is this advisable? Or is this the time to start swinging a hammer? Silly questions, probably, but I just want to make sure that I'm heading in the right direction.

Time to start swinging the hammer. Getting the feel of the leverage of swinging the hammer goes hand in hand with getting the feeling of the footwork and how to generate the centrifugal force. I also picked up a T-ball bat which I like to choke up on and can get a better feel in the forearm vs the hammer which I feel more in the wrist. Both work well.

Try walking/rocking more backwards to the right tee, so your front toes get pulled airborne on the heel like gifs in post #2...
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136487

This movement has been HUGE for me. When I get a nice controlled back swing and get my hips working from, say, 4 to 10 o'clock I'm getting a really nice power boost. I played a round on Friday at my home course and got into the circle on a couple of holes that I never stood a chance on before (one is listed at 382 and another at 395)--they were easily 100' out of my range before.

More importantly, when I get my heel down to lead the forward motion of the throw my shots are going right where my lead shoulder blade is aiming in the setup.

I don't have it "down" yet, but I'm getting there. I still have my moments where I try to overdo things and tense up and start strong-arming, but it's getting way better. I should've done this (shot and posted video) years ago. Thank you to everyone who's offered their advice.