• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Improve visibility of this disc?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
picture.php

Any ideas what color to dye this so that it doesn't blend into the everything? :|

It's faded yellow with red flames, old school Z plastic. It's pretty clear too, which helps its camouflage abilities. :wall:

I was thinking maybe trying to split the difference and getting a uniform orange color. All I've got is red though, not sure if that can get it done.

Buy a few of those flourescent pink highlighters and go nuts on it...

I'm not a dyer, but I've never seen a truly "bright" dye job... they all seem to lack intensity.

Glitter pen the bejeezus out of it. Any sun at all will turn it into a blinding beacon.

You can't make it lighter. The only think you can do is dye it a uniform color as splotches tend to blend in.

You can't make it lighter. The only think you can do is dye it a uniform color as splotches tend to blend in.

Herp, derp. :p

I know I can't make it lighter. It's light enough already, I just don't want to make it darker. Definitely feel you on the uniform tip. Think a light dip in some red Rit would do or should I hunt down some orange?

Herp, derp. :p

I know I can't make it lighter. It's light enough already, I just don't want to make it darker. Definitely feel you on the uniform tip. Think a light dip in some red Rit would do or should I hunt down some orange?
I'm not helping anymore.

pouting-little-girl.jpg

I'm not helping anymore.

Anymore? According to the transcript...

*holds up incredibly long roll of printer paper, puts on reading glasses*

... you haven't started yet. :|:|:|

Hey Bro Dave, so I know that it has been thrown around here before but hands down the easiest to find (and dye) color is bright pink (neon, fushia etc). Bright vibrant dyes are possible, dont be discouraged by someone who doesnt know. Nothingness and I have had good luck with solid bright colors for visibility. Also doing a contrasting rim can help make a disc more visible as there are very few perfect circles in nature. Your idea of orange would probably work too but be careful it doesnt go too dark, it can be tricky.

I'll have to hunt up some neon or fuchsia RIT then. My nearby big stores (Wal Mart, Hobby Lobby) have all pretty much got ND Rit now.

Also doing a contrasting rim can help make a disc more visible as there are very few perfect circles in nature. Your idea of orange would probably work too but be careful it doesnt go too dark, it can be tricky.
I've been giving this subject a lot of thought lately, being fairly new to the sport and subject to some wild throws once in a while (and this is also my first post in the forums, btw, so don't hurt me! :D)... my conclusion is similar to the quote above, in that what really seems to help me the most is an arrangement similar to a mouse pointer, where the object carries it's own inherent contrast rather than relying on a bright color to be visible. This may be because I've noticed that for myself, my "search" vision isn't particularly color-centric, other than in direct sunlight. I also can't seem to achieve greater "brightness" by dying, no matter what. So... my approach has been to try to create bold, contrasting, "un-natural" patterns with black dye on light colored discs, such that no matter what the background, something will stand out. I also try to do this on both sides, by at least dying the rim OR non-rim part of the underside, which is pretty easy to do, and creates that "mouse pointer" effect, which should show you a circle on a light or dark background. Here's a few pics to illustrate. Anyway, since I came across this thread just as I was immersing myself in this problem, I figured I would share my two cents...

Attachments

• 2012-01-18_16-54-46_62.jpg
    2012-01-18_16-54-46_62.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 22
  • 2012-01-18_16-54-55_6.jpg
    2012-01-18_16-54-55_6.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 18
  • 2012-01-14_21-16-57_206.jpg
    2012-01-14_21-16-57_206.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 18
^intriguing thought but I might be limited since I'm looking at dying a fly-dye already.

I'm not much into dyeing and such so if I sound stupid it's because I am and not trolling but have you tried bleach?

I've never done it or even know if it would work but an idea coming to my head after midnight.

what if u just dip the back side, so it will be dyed red on the underside but still be yellow plastic on the top, so it will kind of create a orange???? maybe ???

Latest posts