• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Improving my form

dekuscrub

Hey everyone!

I'm a long-time lurker who just joined. And I would greatly appreciate your all's help with my form.

Time of disc golf and fieldwork has unfortunately been in short supply for me recently. So, to make the most of the time I do have, I want to become more focused and deliberate in my fieldwork.

I went to the park today and was able to film a couple throws before sunset. Here are videos of two "average" throws I filmed, including full-speed and slow-motion footage.

Hex ~330ft, filmed from the side.

Hex ~315ft, filmed from behind. (I apologize for the poor video quality in this one. I'll do better next time. :doh:)

I definitely have a lot of room for improvement, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback you all have.

Hey everyone!

I'm a long-time lurker who just joined. And I would greatly appreciate your all's help with my form.

Time of disc golf and fieldwork has unfortunately been in short supply for me recently. So, to make the most of the time I do have, I want to become more focused and deliberate in my fieldwork.

I went to the park today and was able to film a couple throws before sunset. Here are videos of two "average" throws I filmed, including full-speed and slow-motion footage.

Hex ~330ft, filmed from the side.

Hex ~315ft, filmed from behind. (I apologize for the poor video quality in this one. I'll do better next time. :doh:)

I definitely have a lot of room for improvement, so I would greatly appreciate any feedback you all have.

Welcome!

You are rising a bit into the throw because you don't quite shift "from behind" in the transition from the X-step to plant step. You're reaching for the plant with your toes a bit rather than bringing the weight in more abruptly forward and down into the step.

Thanks for your feedback! It was very helpful. (I happened to catch the Overthrow/Ace It crossover livestream yesterday and found it helpful as well. Glad you all were able to coordinate that.)

This week, I worked on crushing Wegmans cans and Hershyzering my butt into walls. Today, I went out into the field to see if I could translate the drills into any discernible progress.

Here's a video of an average throw from my session today:

Hex, filmed from the side

I definitely still have a lot of work ahead. It looks like I'm still reaching for the plant and my right shoulder is getting bunch up. But my plant looks a little better to me. I'm going to keep working on it and hopefully get back into the field this weekend.

Your chest/shoulders are way open before you extend the elbow. Need to hammer out closed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlyD1ynQrh4#t=3m26s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q5xfv9jPqZs#t=8m26s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1pkfJtVq-8#t=2m33s
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132910
attachment.php

You look very pigeon toed and restricted/cautious. Your weight pressure is shifting very slow as your plant front foot so your mass is moving/swaying/tipping too far back and forth. It takes you about 8 frames between your toes planting and heel fully planting - pros typically take 1-2 frames toe to heel - crush the can),

You need to relax and let go and move more like a free wheeling drunken master.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxnhM5amro0#t=1m14s

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 12.56.29 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2022-06-09 at 12.56.29 AM.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 79
Adding to sw22's notions, it looks pretty solid and balanced up until the X-step, but after that the upper body kind of takes over too much with a reachback and the left leg doesn't drive forward enough. You should concentrate on maintaining momentum here from the legs and coiling the shoulders simultaneously.

Agree w/ the above.

Many of the problems in form rebuilds pop up from old muscle tension/programs activating and screwing up changes.

It can take some time to get nice and loose and then get that flow of tension. Get everything to feel more light and bouncy and springy, then fall heavier into that crush. I recommend doing some deep breaths on and out, loosening up with dingle arms etc.

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate it.

It's interesting to comparing the videos above to my form from last year. I used to be so much more relaxed, light, and bouncy! (Though not quite a free wheeling drunken master.) 2021 Form (D3, side)

Anyway, I guess it doesn't matter too much how I got from there to here. I'll work on it some more this week and post an update.

So, I've been working on this the past couple weeks.

I believe I'm a little more bouncy in the throw, a little faster on the plant, and a little less shoulders-open when I hammer out. Surprisingly, I found the pigeon-toed issue the most difficult to work on. I can fix it well enough when focusing on it, but usually revert when I start working on something else. (Maybe this is because I naturally walk with my feet turned slightly inwards?)

I definitely still have a long ways to go, but am curious if you all also see any improvement or have further feedback.

Hex, filmed from the side:

I've been throwing into a net recently because, with summer here, the park where I do fieldwork is often too crowded. When I have been able to throw in the field, the variance in results has been silly. On one throw, I'll get a Hex out to ~360 on a dead straight line. On the next, I'll throw it dead straight into the ground. So, at least on "good" throws I can say there's been some progress!

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad the upper body looks better, at least.

As for the footwork, I believe I've been working from some significant misunderstandings of how the stride and plant are supposed to work and feel for the past year or so. (Also, because I'm relatively tall with a positive ape index, I think I've gotten away with just using my long arms to sling the disc. And my footwork has suffered.) For example, among other issues, I've noticed I'm trying to step way too staggered and off the target line.

I'm going to try to clear my head, go back through the videos, and reboot my understanding footwork, especially the stride and plant.

Thanks again for the help! I sincerely appreciate it.

Background.png

Alright, I'm back.

I unfortunately haven't had the time to work on my form the past few months. But I'm now looking to make a renewed effort.

Here is what we're working with now. I'm curious if you all think it looks materially better than before.

I threw a Teebird ~380 ihere and I have reliably been getting them out to that range recently on golf lines. So, that's at least an improvement distance-wise from last year. On the negative-side, the behind view reveals some off-axis torque that I'll need to fix.

Finally able to get into the field yesterday. I've been trying to work on the figure 8 motion.

Here are two standstill throws, followed by me showing how I've been practicing the figure 8.

I've also learned recently that I'm pretty IR dominant with my hips. I'm going to dig back into the drive leg mechanics thread and start looking to different form models for the lower body. I remember KJUSA is a good IR dominant model. But does anyone know offhand a good model that has a more tall/lanky build?

I got out in the field today and tried some more standstills. I tried to get down in an athletic position, like I was guarding someone in basketball.

Is this looking better? Or am I still far too upright? (Added the behind view back in so that its easier to see.)

Also, thanks for pointing out that Gannon is IR dominant. While I'm notably shorter and heavier than him (I'm 6'3, 190), his hips/legs seem to work more similarly to mine than Simon's, the form model that I usually looked to.

Latest posts