• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] In need of slight headwind driver

I throw a lot of teebirds of different varieties (5 in the bag currently) and given you are throwing ~280 the star will be a great choice.

One thing I didn't see in there is what you mean by 'slight' headwind. I've seen some think that meant 5mph....and others think it was 20 (depending largely on where you live).

I will also add that your form (if it is clean or not) will have a big bearing as well. I do throw a bit further than you (~300-325 avg) and actually prefer very light (155ish) starlite teebirds. I get away with throwing those even in a light (<10 mph) headwind out to 325 and can keep them straight but when I give them to my buddies who throw similar distances they are rollers.

So with all that said, the star teebird will hold up well and should be very straight for you at ~280' into a little headwind. You will likely find though that with no wind or a tailwind it will be VERY stable and be fading earlier than you expect. Without knowing more about you I'd recommend 165-170ish to start and go from there. At the very least it will be a disc that will be an excellent tool for years to come.

This. I throw in a similar range and love Teebirds. I would recommend the same - start with a high 160's Star TB. That's my go-to. I would also strongly recommend a 175 DX TB (plus they're so cheap!) and maybe even a 175 champ TB for stronger headwinds.

My favorite slight headwind driver is a CFR Glow Gazelle. It does awesome in the wind.

I prefer the Gazelle to the TeeBird but neither is a bad choice. Champ TeeBirds are way easier to find though.

Starfire

Surprised no one has mentioned a Starfire. They don't have a bunch of lift or glide but that keeps you safe into a headwind IMO. It's my go to control driver.

Very consistent flight and once beat in goes dead straight and can still handle a headwind without ballooning away.

This would be my first pick too. Beefy enough for most wind, plus it'll get you some nice distance on a hard rip.