• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] In need of slight headwind driver

Pro Valks are great. I highly recommend them. My bag use to consist of a couple of pros for distance shots and a max weight champ for a slightly more stable option. I also carried a P PD for windy days.

For whatever reason, I have a couple of Star Valks, one max wt., one about 166g, and both are very overstable relative to other Valks and just in general. Even doing the hot water treatments, throwing them into trees, and even into brick walls of buildings failed to make either of these Star Valks less stable for me. (By way of contrast, my Pro Valk did beat into submission, and the JL Champ Valks were not as overstable as the Stars to begin with.)

Ergo, earlier my suggestion of a max wt. Star Valk.

Also, as I read the first post, the OP wanted "slightly" overstable. We can debate 'til the cows come home about what that actually means, but I'd suggest that while the Teebird is excellent, the TL might be "slightly" overstable while the Teebird itself (especially in premium plastic) is more overstable. Ditto that for the Inertia v. Tesla. Bottom line, the OP gets to have the fun of finding out for himself what best fits his needs....

My throwing distance is about the same as that of the OP, and my favorite disc in slight headwind is my Proton plastic Volt. Second to that would be my Champion plastic Teebird.

^Yep. Volt is pretty similar to a tb but a little faster so you get some more wind resistance. Like a PD really. MVP resistor is also pretty much a tb thats overstable.

For whatever reason, I have a couple of Star Valks, one max wt., one about 166g, and both are very overstable relative to other Valks and just in general. Even doing the hot water treatments, throwing them into trees, and even into brick walls of buildings failed to make either of these Star Valks less stable for me. (By way of contrast, my Pro Valk did beat into submission, and the JL Champ Valks were not as overstable as the Stars to begin with.)

Ergo, earlier my suggestion of a max wt. Star Valk.

Also, as I read the first post, the OP wanted "slightly" overstable. We can debate 'til the cows come home about what that actually means, but I'd suggest that while the Teebird is excellent, the TL might be "slightly" overstable while the Teebird itself (especially in premium plastic) is more overstable. Ditto that for the Inertia v. Tesla. Bottom line, the OP gets to have the fun of finding out for himself what best fits his needs....

I didn't realize the newer runs of Valks had gotten that stable. Its been around 2 years since I had Valks in the bag. I just remember loving the Pros because they held up better than DX but still had great glide compared to the Champs. I liked the Champs because for me they flew straight with a consistent fade at the end even into a slight breeze. Sounds like they might be a little beefier in flight now.

I didn't realize the newer runs of Valks had gotten that stable. Its been around 2 years since I had Valks in the bag. I just remember loving the Pros because they held up better than DX but still had great glide compared to the Champs. I liked the Champs because for me they flew straight with a consistent fade at the end even into a slight breeze. Sounds like they might be a little beefier in flight now.

Maybe it's just the "luck of the draw" that I got those two very beefy Star Valks, but I never did get them to turn, and I would consider them as wind-fighters.

My Champs throw more like what you're describing your Champs to be, so it doesn't sound like the Champs got more beefy...

Just as a heads up to the OP, if you go with a fairway driver like a Teebird (which I recommend you do for your current distance, although it doesn't have to be a Teebird, just something like it) do a little research and don't get the most overstable version of the disc. A flat Teebird in champ will fight the wind but also be too overstable for your needs. I have a super flat Star Teebird that is for me only used for a hard fade or in the wind and I throw a bit farther right now. But a slightly domey Star Teebird should be just enough of a wind fighter, but not useless to you otherwise. It can be your overstable fairway until you gain more power or beat it up (which should take quite some time unless you play all the time and throw that disc a lot).

Nah, Valkyries haven't changed...consider the source.

Volt or Photon. Thunderbirds I find difficult to judge. That is just me. Sometimes they turn over for me, in a headwind, sometimes they fade. I just can't get them down. Teebird could flip. Yeah, Destroyer might be too much. Light weight Destroyer would be an idea, but I want weight when I am throwing into wind. I find Bosses easier to handle than Destroyers. How about a 167ish Boss? Tesla was a good idea. Many options! I personally throw nothing with a -2 or higher HSS into a wind. Too prone to flipping. Too unpredictable. I never pull the Tern from the bag in a headwind.

Just as a heads up to the OP, if you go with a fairway driver like a Teebird (which I recommend you do for your current distance, although it doesn't have to be a Teebird, just something like it) do a little research and don't get the most overstable version of the disc. A flat Teebird in champ will fight the wind but also be too overstable for your needs. I have a super flat Star Teebird that is for me only used for a hard fade or in the wind and I throw a bit farther right now. But a slightly domey Star Teebird should be just enough of a wind fighter, but not useless to you otherwise. It can be your overstable fairway until you gain more power or beat it up (which should take quite some time unless you play all the time and throw that disc a lot).

All true... or get a Star or Champ TL, not quite as OS as the Teebird.

Ok guys, let me make up my mind. Too many choices! :)
I'm pretty well set on a Star T-Bird. Any one been able to flip one?
Maybe even a TL

Surprised no one has mentioned a Starfire. They don't have a bunch of lift or glide but that keeps you safe into a headwind IMO. It's my go to control driver.

Very consistent flight and once beat in goes dead straight and can still handle a headwind without ballooning away.

The team stamped star valk my buddy has, is beefier than his thunderbird.

Check dome and PLH...I just bought a Star and Champ, fresh stock at local store. They both fly like a Valkyrie. There is no indication Innova tweaked the Valkyrie mold. Correct me if I'm wrong.

There ARE + mold Valkyries, which make it feel like the rim is wider, and may appear more OS for low power throwers. These aren't like the typical slight + rims on Lat 64, etc. These + Valkyrie rims are slanted bigtime. Feel one of those up, Brutus.

Maybe even a TL

My Champ TLs turn right in headwind. My Max weight Star Teebirds do too, but not as badly. Max weight champ Teebird should be able to handle what you are going for. But, at that distance, TL and Star Teebird might work just fine.

Maybe even a TL

I throw a lot of teebirds of different varieties (5 in the bag currently) and given you are throwing ~280 the star will be a great choice.

One thing I didn't see in there is what you mean by 'slight' headwind. I've seen some think that meant 5mph....and others think it was 20 (depending largely on where you live).

I will also add that your form (if it is clean or not) will have a big bearing as well. I do throw a bit further than you (~300-325 avg) and actually prefer very light (155ish) starlite teebirds. I get away with throwing those even in a light (<10 mph) headwind out to 325 and can keep them straight but when I give them to my buddies who throw similar distances they are rollers.

So with all that said, the star teebird will hold up well and should be very straight for you at ~280' into a little headwind. You will likely find though that with no wind or a tailwind it will be VERY stable and be fading earlier than you expect. Without knowing more about you I'd recommend 165-170ish to start and go from there. At the very least it will be a disc that will be an excellent tool for years to come.

Maybe even a TL

Star TB should be fine. At 280 feet in a slight headwind would equal roughly a 320-330 foot teebird throw. If you have OAT (Off Axis Torque) you might get some or a lot of turn if your form is really off. But assuming it is fairly clean throw no you should just get a nice straight flight and a gentle fade. If the wind is really up 15-20+ then you could have more issues, then maybe throw the Destroyer you have.

All true... or get a Star or Champ TL, not quite as OS as the Teebird.

I am a big fan of my TL's, I bag a 175 Champ and a 169 GStar. Both are extremely great in head winds, cross winds ect. I practice by a retention pond during my lunch break which is always windy, worse than any conditions I've experienced during course play. But my TL's just fight through the wind. I can consistently throw 280-290 and on a good rip 310 into the wind, enough to clear the pond length wise.

If you'r comfortable with champion plastic it may be a touch better in the wind. But I prefer the feel of GStar myself which flies great in the wind as well.

Orc is a good slight headwind disc, its stable enough but not really OS. A discmania CD is nice too, i just picked it up so its fresh in my mind. just anything slightly OS, juuuust slightly - now those are speed 10 discs, if you want a bigger driver of course just look at the specs. I use an Outlaw for big boy driver in headwinds

After reading through this thread I went and experimented a little. Had about 5-10 mph winds the other day, I threw a 168g star, unknown weight champ teebirds, a 165g g-pd, 168g p-pd, 168g s-pd.

I throw right in the 280-310 foot range most of the time. Results over 15 throws per disc:

Star tb- straight to 270ish, small fade into 290ish. More or less dead straight
Champ tb- straight to 250ish, heavy fade to 280ish. Definite left finish (pretty beefy tb)
G-pd- straight to 290ish, hard fade to 300ish. Mild left finish
P-pd- turned into wind, straightened out, faded back to center. 300' or so.
S-pd- straight to 290ish, medium heavy fade to 310, medium left finish

YMMV but based on this, for me and my form/power, the s-pd, or star teebird will be getting the bulk of headwind duty now. The G-pd also did well, but had a fairly abrupt fade. It's worth noting that the star teebird was much more consistently in that range than anything else, with less variance side to side as well. P-pd was a crusher for me throwing back with the tailwind, getting into the 325+ range most throws and very straight.

Hope it helps.