• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] In need of slight headwind driver

lucasgg

Eagle Member
I just finished my round at the local 9 hole course, and I realised that I have no partially overstable drivers for a light head wind or breese. I have a star destroyer, but that's far too over stable. Any suggestions from those more experienced than me?

^This, and what would you normally throw in that situation? The Destroyer?

I throw about 280 feet right now. On a head wind with a roller I could go for 300ft. Did I mention I'm backhand?

Last edited:
Yeah at 280 feet for a slight headwind maybe a P-Line PD or MOLF. Even a Star TB should do fine.

I throw about 280 feet right now. On a head wind with a roller I could go for 300ft.

Similar to my driver range, though I don't throw Destroyers. Here are some ideas to consider for a light breeze, or situations in calm conditions where you want a bit of fade:

Krait, mid 160s wt. - this is my driver into slight winds and downhill shots. Very straight disc with a dump fade.

Champion Tern, mid 160s and higher weight. - Terns can be understable and turn over in the wind, but a heavier weight and the more OS Champion Terns are less prone to doing so while still giving distance.

Also, the Archon, Beast, and perhaps a fresh (or premium plastic) Valkyrie would do well for you into slight winds.

Non-Innova discs: Flow, Inertia, Saint

I'd think a Thunderbird, Tesla, Saint Pro type disc would be great...depending on brand/plastic preference.

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'll Be looking into these discs and maybe coming back with a few new discs and reviews for them all.
I might get a Pro Valk or Champ valk, as I already have a beat up DX version. (1st disc ever)

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I'll Be looking into these discs and maybe coming back with a few new discs and reviews for them all.
I might get a Pro Valk or Champ valk, as I already have a beat up DX version. (1st disc ever)

The Valk is a great disc...but not the best headwind disc. Go max weight if you choose to go that route. I usually will go with a Volt instead of my Valk in a slight to medium headwind. That or disc down to an overstable mid(Kastaplast Kaxe)...or disc up to the Inertia...its just according to the line I am trying to hit.

Last edited:
Champ Teebird. Then when you can blow by everything 300ft you can get something a little faster to play with.

I'd get a new star teebird in the upper 160's. After that grab either a Sirius Orion LF or s-line PD. Mvp tesla would be okay but in my experience they are more dumpy than the discs I just mentioned.

I'm gonna go outside the box here and recommend a max weight DX Teebird, since i've seen a lot of recommendations for 160s Teebirds. I think if the wind is the main factor the added weight would help, plus, if he's maxing out at 280' a DX Teebird would be a great choice for him right now anyways.

^^^ DX Teebirds are great, but they'll beat in too fast to be that reliable head-wind disc I presume the OP wants.

I think a champion/star teebird, champion/star eagle x, or a pinnacle/icon rival would serve you well at the distance you are throwing. All three are great molds that you will almost undoubtedly continue to bag and use regularly even as you develop more power and distance.

I throw about a a far as you. Maybe getting. A but farther recently.
I'd go champ orc, or some of the similar discs others have suggested. Good advice here. Don't go craze stable if you want d, and I'd stay away from the 11+stuff. I Have A krait, and it's just not as fun as my orcs.

Also, if you want teebird, do it. Great in any plastic. Really far, and especially in champ it will hand in a headwind for you.

I probably won't get double digit speed discs, just for good measure. The thunderbird and teebird sound great. Due to popular request, I'm going to look at TeeBirds soon. Star TeeBird? I'll be back.

Pro Valks are great. I highly recommend them. My bag use to consist of a couple of pros for distance shots and a max weight champ for a slightly more stable option. I also carried a P PD for windy days.

Last edited:

Latest posts