• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] In the bag with Johne McCray

Ehhh, the Shield is better.

Really? I definitely think the Wizard is better. It's probably my second favorite putter. If it wasn't quite so thick I'd still use them but the Judge is just thinner and straighter for me so I get better results. Wizards are awesome though. Great driving putters too.

I really couldn't stand the Shield. Too overstable and no glide. That said, JohnE has been doing very well with the trilogy challenge medium shields. He's winning already with a completely new bag. That's just another testament to the archer not the arrow. A guy like that could win with a lot of discs from whoever. He's sporting those sick custom jerseys too lol. I'm pulling for him in 2015.

I love low glide and overstable, I love the feel, shallow enough but not too shallow. Wizard is OK just too deep for me.

Shields rule, Ask Johne.

I hope he does an interview at some point explaining why he chose the Shield and Harp over , say, the Judge or Dagger which are a little more similar to the Wizard. He touched on it in this video but of course he's known for his outstanding use of the Wizard. Maybe I'm the only one who is curious?

I love low glide and overstable, I love the feel, shallow enough but not too shallow. Wizard is OK just too deep for me.

Shields rule, Ask Johne.

Eh. In my opinion, the Wizard and Shield are different enough that comparisons are hard to make. I don't think the Shield was made with the intention of being a Wizard. That being said, it's pretty darn difficult to make a disc that's better than the Wizard.

I hope he does an interview at some point explaining why he chose the Shield and Harp over , say, the Judge or Dagger which are a little more similar to the Wizard. He touched on it in this video but of course he's known for his outstanding use of the Wizard. Maybe I'm the only one who is curious?

I, too, was wondering this. Why not a Dagger?

I mean I can't answer for JohnE, but I'm pretty sure he likes his putters beefy. Wizards may not have a ton of fade but they hold up at high speed great. I can see going harp and shield. I dunno much about the dagger, but I use judges and they do have a little bit of high speed understability. For a hard putter like JohnE I can see that being an issue.

I'm betting he starts using a few more molds over the next year. He hasn't been throwing the trilogy stuff more then a couple months. I wouldn't want to try and learn 10+ molds in that amount of time either

I think you're right. Other guys seem to have gone the other route. Starting with a bunch of molds and widdling their way down.

Will be interesting to see what he adds/changes.

I recall his very first in the bag with Trilogy plastic and he was using Daggers. I guess he's moved on...

Dagers are supposedly crap in windy conditions. Shield and Harp are both very reliable in wind. The Dagger might be good for putting only, but not driving.
I see the Shield more as a Mercy with a bead - which solves the grip lock issues for me when I'm driving them.

They're both modified. Both are completely different, and I completely understand why neither would be a good replacement for a Wizard. The Judge is lower profile, the Dagger is higher profile. That makes a huge difference in how it feels and exits the hand.

I putt with Wizards, and if I were going to choose a Trilogy putter, it would be the Swan2; from what I've thrown, it's the closest in how it putts (and drives, really; even with the vast stability difference). Don't know anything about the Shield, though. If it's a beaded Mercy, though, I definitely see why that would be his choice.

(Trilogy putters I've tried: Dagger, Judge, Mercy, Spike, Harp, Sinus)

I see more Wizards on the course than almost any other putter. I can't imagine that many people are wrong. I always have at least one in the bag.

I was under the impression that the Shield really is the closest thing to Wizard in the Trilogy lineup. I've never thrown a Wizard personally so take for what it's worth.

I am, however, very surprised that he is putting with the Harp. I always though that the only use for a putter as OS as it is, woulde be as a driving/approach putter.

I putt with harps and love em. Very straight forward. No worry about gliding past the basket, no roll aways... Once you get a hang of slightly manipulating the lines, they are very dependable. And, I do have a beat BT hard that doesn't flip, but will definitely hold an anny without fading out unless given extra height.