• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Initial impressions Money GBuzzz SurgeSS AvengerSS SL XL DD2

JR

* Ace Member *
At the moment I can't break 400' every day it's cool here and the ground is moist even on astroturf model 3. Don't think I could run up at all on most surfaces having showers to hard rain every day for a while already.

Pro Wraith 166 too when new the most controllable Wraith I've used expecting to get slightly better with a little wear then a hyzer flip machine (FAR!!!) or a roller when really used. Still not as far as Beasts. Talking of which -BOOOM!!! The best average success rate for me today. The longest was surprisingly a near tie between a new Pro 166 and a 166 Champ new with large flash but that's rear winds gusting for you -unpredictability in range. The longest one was 421' for the Pro with almost no skipping and the Champ got to 419' with a lot of skipping. I'm quickly killing my DX 175 that was already much flippier than the flips two-three degrees on full power 166 Pro/Champ. Surprisingly the Pro is as HSS as the Champ and there is no flash on the Pro. Just a long disc. No wind at the throwing area longest D airborne alone was about 401-402' on golf s-curve with less than 10' of lateral motion and most of it being fade 8-10' apexes.

DD2 P 171 new gets skips. Fades surprisingly early even in headwinds and skips to close the gap to to Beasts in D usually falling short. Especially in rear winds it's short except on s-curves where it's ok but has too much sideways action for my taste. Lucky wind push with huge triple skip pushed it to 420'. Works more repeatably for me in headwinds released flat. When new it's too much of a disc for me for normal non fluke shots. And it loves being thrown at head height.

I took a 170 ESP Nuke slightly used flying like new as a comparison and it is way more HSS and earlier fading in rear winds than the DD2. I got a ridiculous wind help in head winds using a max D line with anny and nose down highish with the wind not allowing the disc to drop normally landing at 429' skipping to a wall at great speed eating up a lot of D from the final should have been resting place. That's easily the longest head wind throw for me ever with a large leap. Talk about a fluke. other throws flew well in head winds. A long average result in headwinds with ok accuracy for open places.

Z Force 174 a joy for low flat head wind drives. Huge skipper though so maybe not so predictable after all on those shots. Much more predictable and accurate hyzer disc. No joy in rear winds unless you want it to finish hard left.

Surge SS fades harder than the Beast. I've got FLX 171 and 166 and the 166 likes to flip but it's also rammed a wall head on at 350ish less than full power. 171 is quite controllable and repeatable with dependable fade that is too much for max D. But especially the 171 takes more winds and power than light Beasts and on low lines can be almost as long with average D being almost equal when using run ups and full power. IIRC I read that Z plastic is not as HSS and LSS so it might be a straighter longer disc closer to a Beast with added speed. Should be long if that's the case. I release both Surges flat and a little head wind won't flip the heavier one but will the 166. Moderate winds will flip the 171 a few degrees. GRip is what you'd expect from FLX. It's cold here and the penguins and polar bears are preparing hide outs for the freezing winters and Imma gonna play all through it so the grip is the reason I got so many FLX discs this time. I like even the FLX version a lot so I have a hard time with overlap concerns with the Beast.

FLX Avenger SS lives up to the abbreviation in 166 and is flippy too hard fading too slow disc for max golf D unless you ride a healthy rear wind. Or want an anny flight or s-curves on higher lines. They are quite sensitive to proper initial hyzer angle. 166 is a roller out of the box. Both need a lot of initial hyzer even with stand still throws. I got more than I figured I'd get with low power requirement for stand still shots in snow to over knee height. The 171 can be controlled but it needs more initial hyzer than my back likes.

Glo Buzzz is the most HSS and LSS Buzzz I've tried and as such a great compliment to a regular Z Buzzz. Flexes back in the end and fades noticeably on flat full power throws. I haven't compared it side by side to my Z Buzzz for D. Glo is more forgiving to sloppy, tired, strong armed or driver like throws than regular Z. Very cool me likey!!! Gotta get backups.

Star Rhyno got straight (!) after the first dozen or two drives but only to about 10' apexes. The grip is great almost as good as FLX. For my slippery fingers this is the best repeatability version of the Rhyno for putting and driving. This is the champ Rhyno shaped star not the domey kind. The Rhyno I've had including the gummy clear Champ.

Money is a bit difficult disc to get a handle of so this is not very accurate probably. The plastic can't take driving onto hard surfaces and it changes color at the impact points when hitting metal on putts. It's like a Champ Rhyno lite in the fade but with so much less HSS (still no concern) in putting that an atrocious wrist roll may make a miss. In drives it is quite HSS but not as much as Champ Rhynos which I can strong arm at full power flat without flipping. Money needs a varying amount of initial hyzer depending on power. It is longer than Rhyno and shorter than Ion. Speed is a little higher than Rhyno with noticeably less of it than the Ion has. The glide is about the middle of the Rhyno and the Ion. It fades dependably and fairly early and much. But the life time when driving is short with tree hits or rocks or anything hard in the way.

Ion Medium 173 ash colored is the same basically as my older blue both are non FR. I've written extensively of Ions in the dedicated thread.

FLX XL 175 is surprisingly pigly and power hungry and hard fading. Short unless ripped.

Star SL 174 without flash otherwise new is half way mark between Surge SS and Pro Wraith 166 in stability high and low speed. Or just slightly closer to the 171 FLX Surge SS. fairly similar D and a high chance of not flipping in more winds and earlier and a little harder fade than the Surge SS.Overlap troubles but for lasers on low lines this is too much of a disc for me without breaking it in.

I've got some thinking to do about bag setup regarding the Beasts, the SL and the Pro 166 Wraith and fitting those to the rest of the discs.

Where did you get the Star Rhyno that flat like a Champ? Every one Ive seen is domey.

Finland. I asked specifically for a flatter one. Somebody here wrote that older ones are flat and only the majority of some recent run is domed up. Don't know if that's true but I never noticed domey ones before this summer. I imagine the domey ones would be more difficult to grip.

Unfortunately the DD2 while skipping mostly forward has become the longest disc for me perhaps beside UL Bosses and Pro 167 Katana and Beasts for field practice -unfortunately it doesn't last. Mine needs melting and sanding the return to PDGA approved status but only if I can mask the reconstructive surgery so that nobody would know the difference. I've thrown it only in field practice and a grain of sand penetrated the leading edge of my P-Line 171 slicing it through the entire height of the leading edge. Grain getting stuck in the cut so the reason for the damage was obvious. Just when I learned better muscle usage and got more D out of it and marginally enough usability for courses that aren't wide open and long. D'oh! I think I need to get an S-Line and break it in.

jubuttib said:
Get the Echo Star ones, they're superb.

I need as low fade discs as possible so is the DD2 Echo Star harder fading than regular Star ahem S-Line? I think they are HSS enough for me so that shouldn't be a problem. Except for me because they may be too HSS for D for me especially if they are more LSS than P-Lines.

They're mainly more HSS, not that much more LSS, imho. The orange ones at least, the green ones are more overstable all around. Try one out, beat one in, I want to see how it changes (I only throw these once a round so it'll be a while for me =).

I checked and the closest place to me only carries ES and P so the choice is easy if they have domey ES.

I have an ES 175 DD2 now and when new it fades too early and too much for me even in head winds. But I had an off day so that may change when I get rest.

Latest posts