• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Innova Plastic

Cigarman

I've played for about two years now. I think I'm pretty familiar with how a DX disc starts out a little under stable compared to a Champion and quickly get beat in (and beat up) and becomes somewhat less stable. And I think a Champion disc starts out less under stable and gets beat in (but not beat up) to become less stable, but as much of a change as the DX disc.

So, my first question is how do Star discs compare to the other two plastics in these attributes?

My second question is does this beat in process continue or just slow down, or eventually stop over time?

Thanks

DX beats in faster and more than any other plastic. Pro is next with a longer break in time than DX. Then, you've got star which starts out pretty overstable, but gradually wears in (to a very nice middle ground in my opinion). And lastly, champion starts out pretty overstable, and stays relatively overstable for a long time. So it's DX, Pro, Star, and Champion in order of least tough to most tough.

I would guess the break in process sort of plateaus after a certain point, with just a very slow wear on the disc after that.

With premium plastic (star and champ) discs go through an initial break in period where the flight changes somewhat abruptly and then it is a very slow, gradual change after that.

DX beats in faster and more than any other plastic. Pro is next with a longer break in time than DX. Then, you've got star which starts out pretty overstable, but gradually wears in (to a very nice middle ground in my opinion). And lastly, champion starts out pretty overstable, and stays relatively overstable for a long time. So it's DX, Pro, Star, and Champion in order of least tough to most tough.

I would guess the break in process sort of plateaus after a certain point, with just a very slow wear on the disc after that.

^^^This

I've played for about two years now. I think I'm pretty familiar with how a DX disc starts out a little under stable compared to a Champion and quickly get beat in (and beat up) and becomes somewhat less stable. And I think a Champion disc starts out less under stable and gets beat in (but not beat up) to become less stable, but as much of a change as the DX disc.
So, my first question is how do Star discs compare to the other two plastics in these attributes?
My second question is does this beat in process continue or just slow down, or eventually stop over time?
Thanks

My own experiences (and I'll throw in Lat64 Opto (like Champion) and Gold Line (like Star)):

Yes, DX will begin seasoning in after as little as one round. It hits trees, gets scuffed up, starts changing. DX goes towards more understable, and I'm not sure it ever stops. I have a DX Cobra (several actually) that became more and more understable and is great for shots I need to turn right (RHBH throw). It's also getting so chewed up that it's not flying very smoothly.

Star Plastic - seasons in much more slowly. Depending on a number of factors, it could take weeks or months. I have a Star TL I've been throwing for months; it reached a certain point of how it flies (less stable than fresh-out-of-the-box, but still with the same general flight characteristics) and seems to be staying there. My oldest Star Tern became increasingly understable and flippy, and more inconsistent. However, some of that may be attributed to the light (163g) weight and me getting better in my overall form, so take that into account.

Gold Line - is like Star but is firmer, and is my favorite DG plastic. I have Rivers, a Saint, two Furys and a Flow. The River seasons in to a nice neutral/slightly understable pattern, reaches a "sweet spot" and just stays there. So far, my most-thrown River has not continued to become more understable, but has just stayed in that sweet spot. My Gold Line Fury, which is an understable disc, also seasoned in to a bit more understable, then found a "sweet spot" and settled into it.

Opto - Opto is like Champion, but is a bit softer/gummier(?) than Champion, at least to me. I have an Opto Pure (throwing putter) and an Opto River, as well as a Lucid Judge (Lucid = Opto). The Opto will season in very slowly, faster than Champion, maybe like Star, but it does season in at a rate you might notice it.

Champion - there's beginning to be different types of Champion plastic, from older translucent to newer Jolly Launcher clear plastic, as well as metal flake. As of this posting, I have yet to season in a Champion disc, so resistant to change it is. The Champ disc I use most is a Pink Panther (I make the color distinction because I find pink Panthers to be a bit more OS than other colors that I have; the pink run has a bit less dome, as well). I have used the Panther as a utility disc, throwing spike hyzers around trees, throwing at the basket on approaches, the occasional full-power long throw, and even for rollers. That disc has not changed its flight characteristics AT ALL. I expected its fade on longer throws to eventually diminish, and for the disc to become understable. After at least a year of use and abuse... not a bit of change in its flight pattern. None.

These are limited examples and only my experiences; others may differ. IOW, JMHO YMMV.

Latest posts