• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

Update: another day on the course with the Destiny and the Star Shryke. Weather is moving in, but there was virtually no wind, in a "calm before the storm" kind of way.

The good news is that my putting was great.

As to the Shryke, I had the same problems with this disc I've had before: grip-lock, inconsistent flights. And lest you say "it's the archer not the arrow", I didn't have any of these problems with the Destiny today. The Destiny outflew the Shryke by as far as 30-50 feet at times. Also, I did see what some others are saying: the Shryke had a bit of stability and faded very nicely.

So the Shryke gets to stay at home unless I'm taking drivers to the range. I might be curious to try a Champion Shryke when they come out in regular production and I can get one in a price less than what DGU charges (not to mention more realistic shipping costs). Maybe the Shryke would be a great forehand disc, or a (mild) headwind disc. Time will tell on that...

I'm telling you, I've yet to find a disc by any manufacturer that can hang with the Destiny. It might be in a class of its own. King is close, but its not quite there.

I'm telling you, I've yet to find a disc by any manufacturer that can hang with the Destiny. It might be in a class of its own. King is close, but its not quite there.

Testify! I totally agree. The Destiny is awesome... except when the wind is beating my face. Then I reach for the DX Destroyer, or DDx, or Flow (which is OS and not broken in yet).

Testify! I totally agree. The Destiny is awesome... except when the wind is beating my face. Then I reach for the DX Destroyer, or DDx, or Flow (which is OS and not broken in yet).

Yeah, the Destiny isn't a headwind disc. For calm conditions and open areas you can rip it further than anything made right now though.

The DDX is starting to get some attention from me too. I did some field work yesterday and it was continually hanging with all the other discs I brought.

Still though, for sheer bombs I'm reaching for the Destiny. I'd say Nuke SS as well, but the SS is too understable and very hard to keep on a flat line when you throw it hard.

between my shryke, destiny, D4, and catalyst the catalyst gets the most distance and is more reliable than the others. My D4 has more stability but something about their discs makes for inconsistent releases for me. The catalyst has become my go to tailwind bomber and it just flies so easily

I think the Shryke is staying in my bag. At the same weight in star plastic, it flies similar to my Terns, but a half number more HSS. Get's about 10' distance than my Terns given the same flight path - about 330' reliably, occasionally out to 350'. It feels close enough in hand to a Tern that I can basically treat it as a fresh Tern and not worry too much about too many molds to keep track of (Shryrn? Terke?).

I think the Shryke is staying in my bag. At the same weight in star plastic, it flies similar to my Terns, but a half number more HSS. Get's about 10' distance than my Terns given the same flight path - about 330' reliably, occasionally out to 350'. It feels close enough in hand to a Tern that I can basically treat it as a fresh Tern and not worry too much about too many molds to keep track of (Shryrn? Terke?).
Maybe more like a Shroove, or Grooke...

shryke-fp.jpg

I like my Shryke. Its a bomber for sure. The dome/glide helps stay in the air, but that sometimes gets killed if there's wind. Its still a good disc I think. I am putting out drives further, but only when it's fairly open or there isn't a mad head wind. good disc. Flight #'s are spot on I think

I used to toss a 175 groove and those things were so straight. It was crazy. If you had a late release it wouldn't just flip and go. I accidentally got a metal flake 175 Blizzard enhanced dominator and it is easily as stable as a pmb 175 destroyer. The champ shryke is a great disc but on WI day days I'm not so sure. It has a place in my bag and is great for flicking in both champ and star. It's a great disc but if you have a big arm you will mainly use it on flipover shots or starting at a 7pm hyzer.

I was finally in a town with e decent shop and I saw a rack of these. One of the G*s was in the 160s so I bought it just to see what it was like. I've never owned a Vulcan or Daedalus. First off, the rim does scream 13 speed to me the way a Nuke, Boss or Katana does. It felt more like a Crank, but possibly not as wide.

I've never played three rounds with it since yesterday. I really like this disc. I need more time to determine where it fits in with my other DDs. It seems to be about the same stability as my Champ Terns, but with more fade at the very end of flight and a bit more fight back if initially turned. May report back after more throws and once I determine what wind it's best for.

I keep reading these reports, and I take my Shryke back out to the course... and I keep having the same problems with it. This disc and I are just not connecting. I want to like it, because I see the bomber potential... but it's just not there for me. And for those about to hit the "reply" button and say it's the archer not the arrow... I don't have these problems with my Destiny, my Star or Champ Terns, my DDxs, et. al.

I keep reading these reports, and I take my Shryke back out to the course... and I keep having the same problems with it. This disc and I are just not connecting. I want to like it, because I see the bomber potential... but it's just not there for me. And for those about to hit the "reply" button and say it's the archer not the arrow... I don't have these problems with my Destiny, my Star or Champ Terns, my DDxs, et. al.

It's the archer not the arrow :D:D

Maybe it's just not the disc for you. Not every disc that a lot of people like works out for everyone you know? Some people love Rocs, some love Buzzzes, some love Truths or Compasses, or Matrixes, or whatever. Just go with whatever is working for you and don't worry about it.

Maybe it's just not the disc for you. Not every disc that a lot of people like works out for everyone you know? Some people love Rocs, some love Buzzzes, some love Truths or Compasses, or Matrixes, or whatever. Just go with whatever is working for you and don't worry about it.

Agreed. I'm going with the Destiny, Tern, and then discing down to the Star SL and the 9-speed discs. I'll try the Shryke again in a few months; hope springs eternal, ya know...

Update: I had a great day on the range today. Wind was enough to feel and enough to be called a "headwind" or "tailwind", but not very strong at all. I first took all my Valkyries and Sidewinders out (17 discs total), and threw them to work on form and see which individual discs were working best for me.

I also took my Mystere, Archon, Destiny and Shryke, and threw them. I was a lot happier with the Mystere than I had been in the past, and the Shryke finally did me right.

One observation I made was that in a mild headwind, the Shryke really bombs. In that mild headwind, the Shryke was outdistancing the Destiny and was more stable and accurate into the wind, though in the tailwind the Destiny was going a bit farther. So the Shryke is making it back to my "nice" list.

SD86 how far do you usually throw your Destiny and Shryke? The Shryke might just be a bit on the stable side for you and the bit of headwind is making it act nice. For example I can throw one of my Destroyers (really OS) farther and straighter into a headwind than I can in calm.

Latest posts