• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

Yeah, Katanas are all over the place. Back when I was buying used lots off eBay, I got two beat Stars that had some dome. They were great. Lost both. Have tried to get new ones, and all those have been flat-sh. No turn-no glide. Blech.

Exactly. I'm to the point where I won't even bother tossing a Katana if its really flat. Simply nothing there. No glide, no distance. Its like throwing a saw blade.

I guess what I was saying (albeit kind of snarky, in a light jearted manner) is when someone says "discing down" I understand literally one speed difgerence IS discing down but generally I hear discing down like throwing 9-10 speeds vs "fast" stuff. That's all..

Yeah I totally understand where you're coming from...

Just to me this specific comparison is actually enough of a difference in this case where I will throw a Trespass in low ceiling tunnels like a faster fairway driver, whereas I would not do that with a Sheriff. It's not like the difference between a 9ish control driver to a 12+ high speed driver, but it's almost like a Teebird to Thunderbird speed difference for me. Pretty interchangeable but sometimes not...

How much power does a guy need to make a Shryke fly well? I just found a Kyra Nolens at PIAS.

it depends what you want it for. At 250-300 it will be a good straight to fade disc, 300-350 it will slight turn to fade like destroyer number flight, 350-400 max D type disc- a lot of turn but some fade to get distance, 400-450 gentle turnovers or hyzerflips straight, 450-500 turnovers being careful not to throw too low and cut roll

I guess what I was saying (albeit kind of snarky, in a light jearted manner) is when someone says "discing down" I understand literally one speed difgerence IS discing down but generally I hear discing down like throwing 9-10 speeds vs "fast" stuff. That's all..

Shryke to Trespass is a big jump to my fingers.

First, yes the Trespass is not what it's flight numbers say it is, in a good way. The numbers say "Destroyer", the flight says much easier for lesser arms to throw.

Second, I understand what you're thinking about discing down. For me, from 13 to 11 and a more comfortable rim was what I meant. Going from high-speed to 9 or so is just dropping a class from the bag...

First, yes the Trespass is not what it's flight numbers say it is, in a good way. The numbers say "Destroyer", the flight says much easier for lesser arms to throw.

Second, I understand what you're thinking about discing down. For me, from 13 to 11 and a more comfortable rim was what I meant. Going from high-speed to 9 or so is just dropping a class from the bag...

Right on. I am probably gonna drop the fast stuff after my Saturday round until after march 2019. Nothing over speed nine outside of field work. I get what you're saying though.

lol I like the early beefy trespasses that could hold a line at 400.. The newer ones make me sad, but others happy

I'd agree. I've actually had the Destroyer and Trespass in the bag at the same time. Trespass is noticeably less stable and seems to have better glide than the Destroyer. I get a lot more distance out of it too. Bigger S curves and not as much late fade.

That said, the Destroyer is still in the bag and the Trespass isn't. I like the Trespass just fine, but it doesn't stand up to full rips as well as a Destroyer and tends to bleed right at times when I don't want it to.

As for discing down, I will generally try to use the slowest disc I can to make a shot. I'd rather throw a Thunderbird at 90% power for a 400' drive than try to throw a Nuke at 70%. Wide rimmed drivers are meant to be thrown very hard. I think you only hurt yourself by attempting to throw finesse shots with them.

My only exceptions to this are throwing very overstable drivers for some short holes when a midrange would also work. I sometimes toss a Flick for 340' holes just because I know exactly where its going.

Have you thrown Swords too? I think you'd like them also, they are basically interchangeable with less stable Trespasses and feel a little deeper in hand to me.

Have you thrown Swords too? I think you'd like them also, they are basically interchangeable with less stable Trespasses and feel a little deeper in hand to me.

When I built an all 11ish DD bag for no real reason other than boredom, I found Trespass/Wraith(beat Star)/Sword to be a really good combo. Added a Mamba for severe L to R since I do not forehand. I was out of Renegades.

Swords are kind of a fun disc. Domey with a ton of glide. Definitely on the flippy side. They'll go a long, long way if you can keep them on line.

Basically like a slower Shryke.

No, haven't tried a Sword. I'm sure it's a good disc, but if the Trespass is more shallow, I'll stick with it.

My only exceptions to this are throwing very overstable drivers for some short holes when a midrange would also work. I sometimes toss a Flick for 340' holes just because I know exactly where its going.

I always know where my Flick is going, too. At about 140' BH, 160' FH, it's going to fade hard to the ground. :eek:

Noodlearm, here, has Shrykes (one Star and one Champ) in the bag, and leaves the Flick at home in the trade pile.

I had a long post typed out but my connection timed out before I could post.

I'll try a shorter version this time.

I'm a Trilogy thrower (usually domey Gold Line Ballista or domey Lucid Trespass in this high speed slightly understable distance slot).

I can get a Ballista or Trespass out to the 400-425 foot range on a good clean throw.

I've recently tested a Z and ESP Nuke. I can't see them sticking. The ESP seems to have no glide. The Z is stable enough that I am not hyzerflipping it (I'm at altitude).

I have no problem with the Ballista and Trespass but if there's a disc option that can have a better hand feel and get me more distance then I should consider it.

I'd like to be able to hit hard on a slight flex or hyzerflip (depending on wind and shot selection).

Recommendations for what Shryke (or should I consider the Tern) I should look at?
Star or Champ? (I don't really want to go GStar)

I've looked at the Mummy Innfuse Halloween Shryke...has anyone thrown one of these yet?

Recommendations for what Shryke (or should I consider the Tern) I should look at?
Star or Champ? (I don't really want to go GStar)
First, I would look at the Pharaoh before Shryke. If you can find a stack of Shrykes, find the one with the highest PLH.

I personally prefer Terns, but my dislike of Champion in drivers is what led me to try multiple Shrykes and Pharaohs. If you try Terns, at your speed, go Champ. If that end up being stable, then go to Star. I really don't care for G* Terns, and Pros are terrible.

I throw a star Tern for my flippy, fast slot. For slightly flippy a Shrine in star will be good. Search them though because you can get some wonky stuff going on

First, I would look at the Pharaoh before Shryke. If you can find a stack of Shrykes, find the one with the highest PLH.

I personally prefer Terns, but my dislike of Champion in drivers is what led me to try multiple Shrykes and Pharaohs. If you try Terns, at your speed, go Champ. If that end up being stable, then go to Star. I really don't care for G* Terns, and Pros are terrible.

thanks
interesting that you mention the Pharaoh as I emailed Infinite to ask them about that disc.

May I ask why you gave that recommendation?
Less variance than Shrykes?
Possibly right between the Shryke and the Tern?

Latest posts