• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

Maybe not a hard fade, but a sudden one. A Tern stops flying and seems to simply die out. No late glide.

I don't agree at all. Hell, the design of it, with the thin rim, goes directly against this. Terns have more late glide than any other driver 11 speed or over.

The Shryke is the only disc I can think of that you've had a very different experience from me on. I know you have probably 50' on me on good throws so that may be it, and I've also never thrown one that's been beat in. But they have flown like a speed 13 Thunderbird to me, like 13/5/0/2-2.5ish. Very controllable considering the speed/rim, but don't flip so they aren't in the farthest flying class for my arm. Aside from a Gstar I threw that was extremely understable, but that was one disc.

I agree with the Tern really getting slow at the end of the flight and finding the ground with the fade rather than pushing left, which I kind of like because it almost hits the ground like a fairway driver for me rather than skipping or doing anything crazy. Lots of times I have thrown it and thought it died out early but it's as far as or 10' farther than the other drives I threw on a similar line. It kind of gets the distance in a deceptive way.

I know this is the Shryke thread, and to me the Shryke/Sheriff are similar in feel and class although I've found Shrykes to be more stable. But since you've thrown some Trespasses, how do you find the Tern/Trespass to compare? I find them pretty similar in flight/line considering how different the rim shape is, maybe the Trespass holds a little more speed into its fade and the ground whereas the Tern wants to pan out of lines a bit more but not go super left.

Interesting take on the Shrykes. I've thrown 9 different ones in all plastics and they've all had at least -1.5 high speed turn. Some closer to -3. I always get noticeable bend with a Shryke on flat, hard releases. Champion Thunderbirds for me are way beefier, a true 0 turn disc.

Terns are very long. I'd still put them in the upper echelon of sheer distance bombers. You can't overpower a Tern and expect good results though. You need the flex and full S curve. Shrykes for me fly on a mellower S curve and are perhaps a hair less flippy than Terns. Terns are a little harder to hit the "sweetspot" on. By that I mean there's a very narrow window of power you need for perfect S curves. Terns tend to flip over and stay flipped more often than Shrykes. Good downwind disc, but simply useless in any sort of wind at your face.

The Shryke and Sheriff do feel similar. I've thrown 5 Sheriffs and found them to be all over the freaking place in terms of stability. A couple biofuzion ones are SUUUPEER flippy and fly like Mambas. A couple lucid ones have maybe a slight hint of high speed turn. I don't care for the Sheriff all that much because of the mold inconsistency. Some of them are very long though. If I had the right Sheriff I could probably get Shryke distance. Difference is, the 9 Shrykes I have all fly fairly similarly.

Tern vs. Trespass....I won't say which disc I like better because I think they're different from each other. The Tern seems faster/sleeker and I can probably get slightly better distance with it. However, the Trespass can't be overlooked completely. My last 2 times throwing Trespasses I've absolutely massacred them. If I had to pick 1 of those 2 molds to bag it'd be the Trespass. I find it a little more manageable (less flippy) than the Tern and more useful on the course. I honestly try to avoid bagging really flippy, fast drivers. The flippiest thing I have is a G* Shryke that I use for long, open holes with 0% chance of going OB or losing the disc. One other thing I like about the Trespass is that the mold is more consistent. I probably have about 8 Trespasses and they all fly fairly similarly.

I don't agree at all. Hell, the design of it, with the thin rim, goes directly against this. Terns have more late glide than any other driver 11 speed or over.

Does the late glide of your Terns take them forward or leftward, i.e. do they fade-then-glide or glide-then-fade? (if that makes sense)

So having thrown 5 Shrykes and a Pharoah, all of the Shrykes had at least -1 turn, with my flippy Star having closer to -3, the Pharoah has -1 - -1.5 turn. The Shrykes are able to be hyzeflipped for max D, while the Pharoah is similar to Terns for me, it had to flex out for max D. I need something with a similar rim to the Shryke/Pharoah but that is OS enough for headwind duties, as I'm starting flip the Pharoah into 15+mph headwinds. Would a Star Destroyer work, or something else with a 2.2-2.4 rim be better?

So having thrown 5 Shrykes and a Pharoah, all of the Shrykes had at least -1 turn, with my flippy Star having closer to -3, the Pharoah has -1 - -1.5 turn. The Shrykes are able to be hyzeflipped for max D, while the Pharoah is similar to Terns for me, it had to flex out for max D. I need something with a similar rim to the Shryke/Pharoah but that is OS enough for headwind duties, as I'm starting flip the Pharoah into 15+mph headwinds. Would a Star Destroyer work, or something else with a 2.2-2.4 rim be better?

How far are you throwing the Terns/Shrykes on golf lines? While some star Destroyers would be perfect for you, I think a Bio Defender is a good choice for that stability in general. They fly like a good straight to fade 0/3 Destroyer out of the box, maybe with a little turn depending on the one, and they break in to -1/2.5ish after a little while. They need hyzer flipping into hard winds like that but work well. So start as a very glidey OS Destroyer and work in to a reliable distance Destroyer. If you throw farther than let's say 425' with your bomber discs then it may be too unpredictable for you in that much wind. It's certainly not a wind resistant disc though even with 375'+ line drive power, expect to play some turn in a headwind.

Last edited:
How far are you throwing the Terns/Shrykes on golf lines? While some star Destroyers would be perfect for you, I think a Bio Defender is a good choice for that stability in general. They fly like a good straight to fade 0/3 Destroyer out of the box, maybe with a little turn depending on the one, and they break in to -1/2.5ish after a little while. They need hyzer flipping into hard winds like that but work well. So start as a very glidey OS Destroyer and work in to a reliable distance Destroyer. If you throw farther than let's say 425' with your bomber discs then it may be too unpredictable for you in that much wind. It's certainly not a wind resistant disc though even with 375'+ line drive power, expect to play some turn in a headwind.

I'm seeing about 425'-440' on golf lines, in calm conditions. I've got an 0,3 Destroyer, but I haven't thrown it in a while. I may have to experiment with it again. I tried a Bio Defender a while back and said it was the closest thing to a Trilogy Destroyer, and I figured it would be the first thing mentioned. So me next question is why Defender over the Cutlass, Gladiator, Enforcer, etc.?

I'm seeing about 425'-440' on golf lines, in calm conditions. I've got an 0,3 Destroyer, but I haven't thrown it in a while. I may have to experiment with it again. I tried a Bio Defender a while back and said it was the closest thing to a Trilogy Destroyer, and I figured it would be the first thing mentioned. So me next question is why Defender over the Cutlass, Gladiator, Enforcer, etc.?

At 425'+ power the Defender in Bio will turn into hard wind for you. Maybe not initially, but after the beat in period of even a month with that plastic it will be like -2/2 into wind I bet. Basically it cannot be your overstable bookend disc, but it could be a good stable-overstable distance driver in calm and usable in lots of wind, but you need something truly OS as well.

I think I have thrown one Gladiator in Opto, no experience with the Cutlass, and have thrown a handful of Enforcers but never owned one. Basically the Gladiator in Opto seemed similar to a Defender in Lucid, where it was quite OS and had an earlier sweeping/gliding fade. I just really like the Defender feel and when discs are that OS I can't really tell the difference. I'd need to either bag both for a while to beat them in, or throw them in 10-20MPH wind to really see their differences.

In comparison the Bio Defender is much straighter than Lucid before going into the lengthy sweeping but aggressive fade, and it beats in soon to show turn. In Lucid the disc feels true OS for me with good HSS, but I haven't thrown it in the conditions to really push it to its limits. Whereas the Bio has the tendency to be negative HSS and you know this if you have the the power you do.

What I like about the bio Defenders I have thrown, is even when fresh and beefy they fly the same line as my beefy star Destroyer but give me 10-15' more distance on the exact same line and power. What I don't like is that they beat in to turn a bit, whereas that Destroyer has been in my bag for maybe 3 years and it's still my OS driver slot that I will throw full power BH or FH into any wind. Basically in <10MPH wind I'd rather throw a Defender, but when I absolutely need to trust the stability I use the Destroyer. I do not bag both at the moment because at my power it would be redundant.

Enforcer feels smaller rim width, Defender is like a Destroyer but slightly wider, whereas Enforcer is more Wraith width. I feel that the fade on the Enforcer knifes in a bit more rather than gliding/pushing...like say a beefy Thunderbird compared to a Firebird. I can throw the Defender farther at my power which is 400ish golf lines with straighter drivers, so you have a bit more power. Bio Enforcers do seem to hold straight for quite a long time before the hard fade comes in. I don't have the power to push Lucid Enforcer to the limits to see what they do. All I can say for their stability is that DD pro's tend to bag some Defenders for trusty distance, but they all need some Enforcers or at minimum Lucid Defenders that they pick out for true OS in wind. Beat Bio Enforcers seem to get very straight at high power like a beat in XCal, whereas beat in Bio Defenders get a wider flight path for max distance like a beat in Destroyer.

At 425'+ power the Defender in Bio will turn into hard wind for you. Maybe not initially, but after the beat in period of even a month with that plastic it will be like -2/2 into wind I bet. Basically it cannot be your overstable bookend disc, but it could be a good stable-overstable distance driver in calm and usable in lots of wind, but you need something truly OS as well.

I think I have thrown one Gladiator in Opto, no experience with the Cutlass, and have thrown a handful of Enforcers but never owned one. Basically the Gladiator in Opto seemed similar to a Defender in Lucid, where it was quite OS and had an earlier sweeping/gliding fade. I just really like the Defender feel and when discs are that OS I can't really tell the difference. I'd need to either bag both for a while to beat them in, or throw them in 10-20MPH wind to really see their differences.

In comparison the Bio Defender is much straighter than Lucid before going into the lengthy sweeping but aggressive fade, and it beats in soon to show turn. In Lucid the disc feels true OS for me with good HSS, but I haven't thrown it in the conditions to really push it to its limits. Whereas the Bio has the tendency to be negative HSS and you know this if you have the the power you do.

What I like about the bio Defenders I have thrown, is even when fresh and beefy they fly the same line as my beefy star Destroyer but give me 10-15' more distance on the exact same line and power. What I don't like is that they beat in to turn a bit, whereas that Destroyer has been in my bag for maybe 3 years and it's still my OS driver slot that I will throw full power BH or FH into any wind. Basically in <10MPH wind I'd rather throw a Defender, but when I absolutely need to trust the stability I use the Destroyer. I do not bag both at the moment because at my power it would be redundant.

Enforcer feels smaller rim width, Defender is like a Destroyer but slightly wider, whereas Enforcer is more Wraith width. I feel that the fade on the Enforcer knifes in a bit more rather than gliding/pushing...like say a beefy Thunderbird compared to a Firebird. I can throw the Defender farther at my power which is 400ish golf lines with straighter drivers, so you have a bit more power. Bio Enforcers do seem to hold straight for quite a long time before the hard fade comes in. I don't have the power to push Lucid Enforcer to the limits to see what they do. All I can say for their stability is that DD pro's tend to bag some Defenders for trusty distance, but they all need some Enforcers or at minimum Lucid Defenders that they pick out for true OS in wind. Beat Bio Enforcers seem to get very straight at high power like a beat in XCal, whereas beat in Bio Defenders get a wider flight path for max distance like a beat in Destroyer.

I'm not a huge fan of Trilogy's plastics, but would a Fuzion Defnder work? I had a Luicd and even on a flex FH it just wanted the ground. I wonder if an ESP Punisher or an ESP Force would work. I'm not trying to disregard your advice, I'm just trying to gather all my options before I commit to something, as money is quite tight for me for the foreseeable future.

I'm not a huge fan of Trilogy's plastics, but would a Fuzion Defnder work? I had a Luicd and even on a flex FH it just wanted the ground. I wonder if an ESP Punisher or an ESP Force would work. I'm not trying to disregard your advice, I'm just trying to gather all my options before I commit to something, as money is quite tight for me for the foreseeable future.

No I totally understand, I think a Defender isn't enough stability for you. I have a Z Force, the only Force I've thrown, and it could be a good bet actually. Very straight to fade, still has glide, and kind of wakes up into moderate wind to get some surprising distance. It is a notch below my beefy Destroyer but more trustworthy in wind than the Defender. I would try your 0/3 Destroyer again to see how that goes. Really depends on if you want good headwind distance or complete wind resistance like a speed 12+ Firebird.

Sounds like you need a Boss. Same speed and rim width, but obviously the Boss is more overstable. Little less glide too.

Destroyers would probably be adequate too.

If you want some overstability but not total beef, try a Colossus. They're overstable enough to handle a pretty big rip.

Last edited:
If you're flipping a Shryke or Pharaoh a Defender would be at least a couple steps up in stability. I still think the Boss seems like a better choice. The Defender is more overstable than most Bosses I've thrown.

I also agree that DD's plastic beats in too fast. Their overstable stuff can get flippy in a hurry if you play a lot and beat the disc up.

The praises for the Shryke are spot on. I picked up a 168 and 170 g Star last week and used them for max D shots prepping for and playing in Ledgestone. Flies like the slightly flippy Wraiths I like for distance (375-400) but the Shryke was going 400-450 at the same effort. I like that the rim is deeper than the Tern and that the wide rim is not excessively wide. Big win for Innova.

Has anybody gotten some throws in with these new run of stock glow champ shrykes? Curious where they fit into the spectrum stability wise. What is the most overstable Shryke ppl have come across recently?

How much power does a guy need to make a Shryke fly well? I just found a Kyra Nolens at PIAS.

How much power does a guy need to make a Shryke fly well? I just found a Kyra Nolens at PIAS.

Probably at least 380' in my opinion, but it depends on the stability. I have a Shryke that would fly well for those at 340' while I have another couple that refuse to turn even at 400', though a bit of headwind gives crazy distance with one.

Probably at least 380' in my opinion, but it depends on the stability. I have a Shryke that would fly well for those at 340' while I have another couple that refuse to turn even at 400', though a bit of headwind gives crazy distance with one.

I'll probably hold onto it until I can improve my form for more reliable distance. Beautiful pink color glow plastic.

I have a couple of color glows and LOVE them for down wind long drives. When I put enough hyzer on them, I can throw them into a light headwind and get some massive distance. Thew one yesterday in a local fundraising tourney somewhere north of 500', close to 550'. Don't know if they'll replace my destroyers, though...

I agree. At 380' you should see some turn out of a Shryke. It'll probably be your longest flier too. Shrykes are generally pretty mellow and will work for lesser powered arms. I've also found them to be pretty useful if you want to start bombing them 440' or so.

I'd just buy the Shryke and try it. Even if you hate it you won't have any problem reselling or trading it.