• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova Shryke

Champ Shryke doesn't turn easier than my bio Tresspass but lighter Stars do. I can pump the Tresspass on a roped lower line than the Shryke which takes some more height to work for me. If I had to choose between the two I'd go Star Shryke for sure

This post is Tern related but the Tern came up in relation to my questions about the Shryke so I'm going to post here.

I don't have any Shrykes yet. My local stores did not have any. I believe my wife may have ordered me 2 for my birthday.

I started in this thread mentioning that I throw Trespasses and Ballistas and that I was looking for something easier to flip up than the Trespass but that could give me Ballista distance with a bit better control.

I picked up 2 Champ Terns from a local store. 173 and 170. The 170 is less HSS stable than the 173.

I will say from the outset that the Tern seems to be giving me some of the longest throws I've had (new disc joy perhaps). If the Shryke can exceed the Tern then I think I will be very happy.

The Tern does flip up for me easier than the Trespass. It is definitely longer. This is good. However, it (the Tern) doesn't fight back as well as the Trespass. So the "pros" of the Tern are that it gives me easier distance and in the way that I want to throw. The "cons" would be that it is not as trusty in wind so I need to be careful with the release.

So far I would say the Tern has a fair chance of kicking Trespasses and/or Ballistas out of my bag as being a disc that meets the parameters I was searching for.

I'm hoping the Shryke can give me a similar flight but perhaps a bit longer and with a touch more fight back. My assumption is that my wife ordered me Star (I'd given her links to follow for ordering) but I may have to try a Champ.

Someone a few posts back mentioned the Captain. I tried one that belongs to a friend. Just one throw but thrown back to back with the 170 Tern (the Captain was a slightly seasoned 171 First Run) and the Captain appeared to have quite a bit less HSS.

I think you'll end up liking the Shryke a lot. I find them to be longer than the Tern, and just a tick more stable. The Shryke is less likely to go bombing right and not come back. I don't bag the Ballista or Trespass, but I really like both molds. Just perfect, effortless distance without being too flippy.

I had a Tern in the bag for a while, but when the Shryke came out I switched it up. The Shryke (for me) was simply a better disc. It didn't flip over as often and provided better speed, distance, and glide.

I would get a star and champion Shryke in the high 160s or low 170s and see what you think. Its my go-to disc for open distance bombs.

I think you'll end up liking the Shryke a lot. I find them to be longer than the Tern, and just a tick more stable. The Shryke is less likely to go bombing right and not come back. I don't bag the Ballista or Trespass, but I really like both molds. Just perfect, effortless distance without being too flippy.

I had a Tern in the bag for a while, but when the Shryke came out I switched it up. The Shryke (for me) was simply a better disc. It didn't flip over as often and provided better speed, distance, and glide.

I would get a star and champion Shryke in the high 160s or low 170s and see what you think. Its my go-to disc for open distance bombs.

Take all this, and reverse it.

Take all this, and reverse it.

Only one way to resolve this dispute: throw one of each, bag whatever works best for you. :thmbup:

Side note: I've used Shrykes, Terns, and Trespasses. All are good. I'm currently bagging the Trespass.

This post is Tern related but the Tern came up in relation to my questions about the Shryke so I'm going to post here.

I don't have any Shrykes yet. My local stores did not have any. I believe my wife may have ordered me 2 for my birthday.

I started in this thread mentioning that I throw Trespasses and Ballistas and that I was looking for something easier to flip up than the Trespass but that could give me Ballista distance with a bit better control.

I picked up 2 Champ Terns from a local store. 173 and 170. The 170 is less HSS stable than the 173.

I will say from the outset that the Tern seems to be giving me some of the longest throws I've had (new disc joy perhaps). If the Shryke can exceed the Tern then I think I will be very happy.

The Tern does flip up for me easier than the Trespass. It is definitely longer. This is good. However, it (the Tern) doesn't fight back as well as the Trespass. So the "pros" of the Tern are that it gives me easier distance and in the way that I want to throw. The "cons" would be that it is not as trusty in wind so I need to be careful with the release.

So far I would say the Tern has a fair chance of kicking Trespasses and/or Ballistas out of my bag as being a disc that meets the parameters I was searching for.

I'm hoping the Shryke can give me a similar flight but perhaps a bit longer and with a touch more fight back. My assumption is that my wife ordered me Star (I'd given her links to follow for ordering) but I may have to try a Champ.

Someone a few posts back mentioned the Captain. I tried one that belongs to a friend. Just one throw but thrown back to back with the 170 Tern (the Captain was a slightly seasoned 171 First Run) and the Captain appeared to have quite a bit less HSS.

Wait for the Shrykes, they are likely what you want.

The Captain I agree is less HSS, it is a long flier but is not meant for wind and the fade is late.

I find the Tern and Trespass neck and neck for myself. Very similar distance, speed, and power requirements. They have slightly different characteristics but they are very comparable for me/take the same slot in my bag.

The Shryke will have more stability both HSS and LSS, so give that a try. If you're looking at DD then the Sheriff is a little faster and a little more stable than some Trespasses, but less neutral for the overall flight...and the Captain is less stable than Sheriff. I would just try the Shrykes that are on the way and see how you get along with them.

When I compare Tern vs. Shryke, I'm doing so having thrown probably 10 of each mold. I've also thrown 5 Ballistas and at least 6 Trespasses. Its kinda hard to base your thoughts on a certain disc having only thrown 1 of them.

I think to really see the difference between a Tern and a Shryke you have to throw them 400' or more. At 350' power the discs will behave very similarly.

Another often overlooked (and dissed) mold is the DDX. I've been playing around with them lately and am loving the results. They don't quite float like a Tern, but they also aren't as prone to flipping. I've been throwing a DDX every bit as far as a Tern, but on a more direct (less S curve) line. The DDX will give the Shryke a run for its money on sheer distance as well.

The Trespass is probably DD's best driver in terms of consistency. I haven't run across any bad ones.

The Ballista is surprisingly good (consistency) considering its a super fast, wide rimmed driver. The 5 Ballistas I've thrown have all been great. Reliable high speed turn followed by a nice fade. Trespass and Ballista are my two favorite trilogy drivers. I'll go ahead and say that the Ballista is trilogy's longest bomber. It, the Sheriff, and the Captain are all pretty close.

I agree with the DDx comments. However, the one difference I will point out is rim depth. The DDx (and the katana, too) has MUCH more shallow of an inside rim. This is a major drawback for me. I have several DDx and love them--they go FAR. However, I feel I can grip my shrykes and destroyers much more securely, which leads (for me) to more confidence in my throws. Just a thought.

Only one way to resolve this dispute: throw one of each, bag whatever works best for you. :thmbup:

Side note: I've used Shrykes, Terns, and Trespasses. All are good. I'm currently bagging the Trespass.

I carry a Shryke, Pharaoh and multiple Terns every round. I used to throw Trespasses, but to me they are more like a Wraith. I sometimes carry an all 11 speed driver lineup, and two of those go with me.

I agree with the DDx comments. However, the one difference I will point out is rim depth. The DDx (and the katana, too) has MUCH more shallow of an inside rim. This is a major drawback for me. I have several DDx and love them--they go FAR. However, I feel I can grip my shrykes and destroyers much more securely, which leads (for me) to more confidence in my throws. Just a thought.

Yeah, the rim depth on some of the newer drivers is very shallow. If you don't have a decent grip the disc will slip often.

In fact, I'd say over half of the speed 13-14 drivers manufactured today have shallow rims. Shallow rim = extra speed. You don't see very many wide, yet deep rimmed drivers even made anymore.

I think the Shryke rim is actually a hair shallower than a Destroyer, but deeper than a DDX or Tern.

The Tern rim only gives me issues in Champion which is why I have been trying so hard to replace them. My next order will be a mixture of weights and plastics in Pharaoh in an attempt to permanently purge champion from my driver lineup.

I carry a Shryke, Pharaoh and multiple Terns every round. I used to throw Trespasses, but to me they are more like a Wraith. I sometimes carry an all 11 speed driver lineup, and two of those go with me.

The Trespass is listed as speed 12, but you are right that it feels not-as-wide, and more like a Wraith. The Tern feels a bit wide for a speed 12. The comfort of the Trespass rim in my paw, as well as me discing down, is why I'm bagging the Trespass.

I haven't tried a Pharaoh, but I like the Infinite brand molds that have been coming out, so I might give one a try.

Shryke

Threw a color glow champion Shryke today. Karina Nowels model, 175g.

This thing is unlike any Shryke I've seen or thrown. Its very flat. Easily the flattest Shryke I've seen. Also the flippiest. Uncontrolled flippiness. I wasn't having a ton of luck with this disc. Everything I was throwing was ending up at least somewhat right. Even some hyzerflips would roll all the way over.

Glide also seemed less than other Shrykes. I'd attribute that to the fact that the disc has zero dome.

Reminded me a lot of a Nuke SS. One of those very understable discs that absolutely bombs, but is very hard to keep on a good flight path.

I'm not sure if every Shryke in this run is similar, but this is probably the worst Shryke I've thrown. Considering the disc is in good condition and max weight, I was surprised at how flippy it was. Overall distance was OK, but it was all over the map. Glide was noticeably worse than other Shrykes.

This thing is unlike any Shryke I've seen or thrown. Its very flat. Easily the flattest Shryke I've seen. Also the flippiest. Uncontrolled flippiness. I wasn't having a ton of luck with this disc. Everything I was throwing was ending up at least somewhat right. Even some hyzerflips would roll all the way over.

Glide also seemed less than other Shrykes. I'd attribute that to the fact that the disc has zero dome.

Reminded me a lot of a Nuke SS. One of those very understable discs that absolutely bombs, but is very hard to keep on a good flight path.

I'm not sure if every Shryke in this run is similar, but this is probably the worst Shryke I've thrown. Considering the disc is in good condition and max weight, I was surprised at how flippy it was. Overall distance was OK, but it was all over the map. Glide was noticeably worse than other Shrykes.

Interesting. That's all I throw (for shrykes) are CGs. However, they are ONLY for downwind shots. Got one measured at 570' this weekend. It was right of target, though. Lol

Interesting. That's all I throw (for shrykes) are CGs. However, they are ONLY for downwind shots. Got one measured at 570' this weekend. It was right of target, though. Lol

Dang. I throw quite a bit less than 570' and this thing was too flippy to keep in the air. Downwind was the only time I could get this Shryke to NOT flip badly. It had no fight either. Once it flipped it was gone. No late fade.

Flat Shrykes should be reground into Echo Shrykes. I can get my Champs out as far, if not further than my flat Star, which is also a lighter weight. Oddly enough flat Terns go just as far as my Shrykes, but I can't turn a domey one much.

How are the Champion Glow (not color glow) Shrykes? Especially compared to Shrykes in other plastics?

Flat Shrykes should be reground into Echo Shrykes. I can get my Champs out as far, if not further than my flat Star, which is also a lighter weight. Oddly enough flat Terns go just as far as my Shrykes, but I can't turn a domey one much.

I almost wonder if this Shryke I threw today was purposely made flat. I know some of the pros like their discs made to slightly different specifications than shelf models.

All I'll say is that I'd much rather have a good dome on a Shryke. It seems to help with glide quite a bit. If I wanted a Shryke with less glide I'd throw a Daedalus. The last champ Shryke I threw had a better dome and was a massive bomber. It was everything I imagine a Shryke should be.

So the consensus is domey shrykes are more OS? Anyone confirmed this with a PLH comparison?

I have found the shoulder height much matters more than the dome. The higher shoulder, the more overstable

Latest posts