• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Innova x vs discraft x

RD22

Bogey Member
The reason for this post is I normally throw firebirds. Threw my first pred today and loved it. I easily see this kicking the firebird out of my bag. I dont favor one brand over another but my bag is mostly innova because its easy to get locally. Having seen the pred makes me want to try some other discraft plastic.

Question. What compares to a teebird, leopard, and roadrunner from discraft? Or other brands really. Thanks!

Teebird-nothing that DC makes is as great as the TB, but you could try using an Avenger or Tracker. Neither is an exact match, but you could use them for many of the same shots.

Leopard-XL. Again, not an exact match, but fairly similar.

Roadrunner-XS or Avenger SS.

Beat Predators are supposed to be the bees knees though. I don't throw them, but I've heard that when they beat in, they just stay straight longer but still fade hard and eat wind for breakfast. A well-seasoned Pred could stand in for a TB imo.

Stalker is very close to a teebird, just not as long. And a z avenger ss is about the same as a rr.

What you really need to try are discraft mids...

Nuke SS compares favorably to the Katana - I find it more predictable, as it is less sensitive to nose angle.

Nothing that I have tried from Discraft compares well to the TB or Leopard. The Impact is close but not as good, in my opinion.

If you want something from Discraft that might fly like the Roadrunner, I recommend checking out the Glide - not quite as understable as the RR and very slightly slower, but I use them for the same kind of shots.

And I second the recommendation to try Discraft mids. The Buzzz gets plenty of praise here, and to a lesser extent so do the Comet and Meteor. I find the Meteor fits my game really well.

Im actually throwing rocs and comet atm. I started off with a buzz at the very beginning and didnt like it. That said my form was much worse then, so I could give it a shot.

If it helps. Heres my current bag.

Magics/Wizards-Rocs/Comet-Teebirds/Leopards-PDs-Valks-Firebird-Roadrunner and im just now starting to throw faster stuff but isnt "in the bag" yet.

Here are a few more suggestions for "like" discs, though there will be some differences. I try and think: "if an Innova Pro threw _____, then what would another pro throw to match it? For example, the Avenger is not a perfect match for a Teebird, but if Climo threw a Teebird, then Doss could very well make the same shot with an Avenger (though I don't think that he carries them any more). If Schultz threw a lazer hyzer flip through some tight woods with a Leopard, EMac could likely hit the same line with a XL, etc.

Magics > Magnet
Wizards > Challenger
Rocs > Wasp, Pain
Comet > Don't even try and replace it! Fuse would be the next best thing.
PDs > Tsunami (old mold Pred)
Valks > Wildcat or DGA Undertow maybe? River might work

I'd also strongly recommend trying out a FD as well. The consensus that I've heard is that it's as good or better than the Leopard. Some people are even using heavy FDs to replace Teebirds as well.

there are no equivalents for a teebird or a leo.

the XL is faster than the leo but the avenger SS is comparable to a RR

Magics/Wizards-Rocs/Comet-Teebirds/Leopards-PDs-Valks-Firebird-Roadrunner

This is a pretty damn good bag setup. FWIW, I think C-PDs are close enough to Preds that a nice beefy Firebird actually gives you more options for shot shaping. I don't think there is much to gain by going to Discraft, but you could certainly add a Gator ;)

There's a lot of good discs out there though. Enjoy...

I don't think there is much to gain by going to Discraft, but you could certainly add a Gator ;)

There's a lot of good discs out there though. Enjoy...

Consistency? :D

I think the Pred beats the pants off the Firebird for shaping, while a TRUE firebird wins hands down for most effective high-wind fighter. The C-PD, though, might push my preds to the side since they're even more shapeable, and plenty stable when I give them a bit more hyzer. We'll see.

Did anyone say Surge = Wraith? Wildcat = Viking? Pred = Glidier Starfire?

Stalker is very close to a teebird, just not as long. And a z avenger ss is about the same as a rr.

What you really need to try are discraft mids...

HUH? Stalker is not near as OS as a Teebird. A stalker is pretty straight.

I have a 176 ESP meteor (ACE DISC) and i probably throw it on more holes than any other disc. with tons of hyzer and thrown very hard itll flip and slowly turn over, making an awesome disc for tunnel shots. also at lower power with a slight hyzer it will flip up to flat, similar to a buzzz, or harder with more snap will provide a nice slow turnover. amazing shaping with this disc.

Im actually throwing rocs and comet atm. I started off with a buzz at the very beginning and didnt like it. That said my form was much worse then, so I could give it a shot.

If it helps. Heres my current bag.

Magics/Wizards-Rocs/Comet-Teebirds/Leopards-PDs-Valks-Firebird-Roadrunner and im just now starting to throw faster stuff but isnt "in the bag" yet.

Give the buzzz a try again i was turned off by the buzzz when I first started, now it is my go to disc...i love my buzz...i could prob get by with three discs leopard,buzzz, & anode those seem to be the discs I go for the most out of my bag.

The heavy Ti Stalkers are more Teebird-esque in my opinion. However, they feel very different, so it's hard to transition from one to the other if you're trying change which one you throw...

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Im pretty content with my bag Josh. Its just theres so much I havent tried, maybe theres better options for some things.

This is sort of OT but is there a discraft plastic thats more glidey? My zpred doesnt seem to glide much as it begins to slow down. Or do they not have any glide in the first place? Or im not throwing well??,

I will look into XL, Avenger, Meteor, and Stalker

And C-PDs are my favorite, but lost mine. :( The P-PD I have is not the same at all.

Last edited:
Beat preds are super teebirds.
Avengers are longer teebirds with turn.
Trackers are shorter teebirds.
Cyclones arent teebird like but are a great dc fairway.

XL s are longer, stabler leos.
Xpress' are flippy leos.
Glide is slower, but could cover the same role. A stratus or impact, though even more mid like, could also work.

Wildcat is closest to valk.
Xs has a lil more movement.
Undertow is flippier.

Avenger ss is closert to rr i think.

I strongly suggest trying the xl and avenger in elite x plastic.
Z plastic has the least glide but best durability.

.....Ive thrown a lot of dc, different molds, plastics, and weights. Ive thrown a lot of buzzzez, i dont like buzzzez.

Cyclone = Gazelle, I think.

Again, Wildcat = Valk? No way. Maybe the X-Cats. But the Z-Cats are totally a Viking, if not more stable.

The closest Discraft mold to a teebird would probably be an esp cyclone. They are a really nice disc and I use to throw them before I switched to strikers. They are controllable and have nice glide.

Cheers - Koffee

The closest Discraft mold to a teebird would probably be an esp cyclone. They are a really nice disc and I use to throw them before I switched to strikers. They are controllable and have nice glide.

Cheers - Koffee

maybe an avenger SS could be similar to a TL, I had a Z avenger once that was crazy overstable, very strange. though that was a long time ago and i may be able to throw it on more teebird-esque lines now

HUH? Stalker is not near as OS as a Teebird. A stalker is pretty straight.

Depends on the tbird and stalker your throwing. Ive thrown stalkers that are more stable then some teebirds. Max weight stalkers with a high plh are nice and stable. and there are teebirds that aren't very stable at all. That being said, they are still not the SAME thing, just close.

Just a little note, no innova disc is the same as dc. I find the differences in their discs to be a good thing. If your not entirely happy with some thing you throw, you can get something similar, but with slight flight differences. Trying to find another companies twin to a disc is pointless.

Also consider the source of your comparison info, most people who just posted here have played less then 5 years, and likely have not tried every disc out there. Not to mention what their skill level may or may not be when it comes to throwing and comparing discs.

Latest posts