• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Intentional OAT?

dodgeball

Double Eagle Member
How many of yous out there will add a little OAT to shape a shot? Is it more the 'roll under' or 'roll over' variety? For myself I've found that rolling over (think wrist roll) is a lot easier than rolling under as when trying to stabilize a shot in the wind or just get a harder fade around an obstacle. Honestly, I don't know how much rolling under works for me, yet I keep trying it for some reason.

A related question is what is your most 'workable' disc? For this I expect to hear lots of beat t-birds, eagles, and the like. Personally I loves my Helix #1 --kind of like a baby t-bird.

Now looka here son, I don't consider wrist roll oat when its rolling with the shot. I will sometimes put some intentional oat wrist roll over on hyzer to make sure I get a disc to flip to hit a certain line. I find myself using more run-up to hit certain gaps, but I tend to keep things pure. I don't think there is a most workable disc, they all do what you tell it.

ROLLING YOUR WRIST AND FOLLOW-THROUGH - by Ken Climo

The following tips are helpful to help add distance and accuracy to tee shots. Whether 10, 50 or 100 feet of distance are added, the direction the disc goes is equally important. This piece will address three different flight patterns that can be achieved by the movement or "rolling" of the wrist.

Anybody who has ever played catch with a "lid" Frisbee knows it takes "under snap" or "under roll" of the wrist to make the disc fly straight. This is accomplished by starting with keeping the thumb of your throwing hand parallel to the ground.

Next, roll your wrist throughout the arm swing and release, finishing with your thumb pointing directly at the ground. This creates lots of hyzer and snap which allows these vintage class discs to turn and fly straight with maximum torque. Try this technique with a very understable golf disc, such as a used Stingray. This throw is great for fairways with a late turn.

For a moderately stable golf disc, such as a Roc, your thumb should remain about parallel to the ground throughout rotation and release while you turn your forearm slightly toward the sky in your follow-through. This will cause you to release with a slight hyzer angle, and follow-through is the key to keeping the disc flat through its flight. You may need to practice this technique repeatedly until it feels natural.

Finally, with the most overstable disc flight patterns, such as those produced with a Viper or Whippet, the disc must be released with anhyzer. Try to follow through on the same angle as the disc while rolling your wrist over to expose your forearm to the sky. Creating angle plus torque holds the disc's flight longer. You will have more penetration and glide, which helps the disc gain distance with an "S"-turn and not lose distance with a hard fall to the left (for right handers).

On this type of throw, you need to rotate and transfer your body weight forward, instead of down. If 12 o'clock represents the basket, most right-handed throwers start their run-up with the toes and front of the body facing 10 or 11 o'clock. They turn away and reach back to about 7 or 8 o'clock in coiling their body for the explosion.

Ideally, your weight should rotate on your front foot or plant foot, carrying your body rotation so your trailing leg ends up closest to the target. The front of your body and toes should now be facing 2 or 3 o'clock. I also believe this technique will be less strenuous to the back muscles and spine.

I will use both if I need to, but I find myself using "roll under" more. I do this a lot with my teebird. It helps keep it from turning over into a strong headwind. It is also useful on a dogleg left. The teebird will keep gliding after the dogleg and fly around obstacles when thrown with a bit of "roll under". Overstable discs thrown flat just want to hit the ground as soon as possible and will just skip around an obstacle for a few feet.

I use "roll over" when I need a subtle S shaped shot and I will use a moderately overstable disc for this.

Last edited:
I just recently started implementing roll under for putter hyzers, or even driving putters for distance. With rolling my wrist under to add stability, I threw a voodoo 320' on monday, in some decent winds, nothing crazy, but certainly noticeable.

Latest posts