• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Intermediate player trying out a bunch of high speed innova drivers

mdholzhausen

New to the forum so apologies if this is in the wrong place. I mainly am writing this because I have been reading the forums a lot and thought I should contribute.
My game has been improving this season and I have finally been able to consistently hit 400ft. For more control at max distance I've been exploring different drivers. I like innova's availability so I stick to it.
I traded in a bunch of unused discs to play it again sports and brought home a very flat 159g starlite boss, a 170g star shryke, a 170g Gstar tern, and a 172g dyed champ wraith. I compared them to a surprisingly OS 129g blizzard boss and a beat in 175g dx destroyer that I am very familiar with.
In the past I've only been able to get out to 375+ by hyzerfliping 130ish bosses but I started flipping them all over so I decided to bring back some heavy plastic to get more consistent results.

I would have bought a star destroyer but they didn't have any at the moment.
The champ wraith seems to need a beating before it will be useful as it is currently flying like a firebird. I like firebirds but I alread carry 3 so hopefully this wraith will work into something useful. It does have a really good skip on the lss end though.

The starlite boss will be a good hyzerflip disc as long as i don't have too strong of a left to right wind like today. Wind was definitely over 10mph and gusting more. It easily hit 400ft though.

The tern was the straightest flier. Tons of glide. With a left to right crosswind I threw it about 10ft off the ground with the wing at about 8 and it hyzered into it nicely. The wind stretched out the flight to about 350ft. I need to experiment more with this one, I think it will be like my dx destroyer with less of a chance of overturning.

The shryke was easily the most useful disc. It feels like an easy to throw beast with better fade. I like discs with strong fade so I might get on of these in champ plastic too. It would flip up on a steep hyzer and still crash hard left ending about 370ft away. Thrown flat it was easy to control it out to 400ft with a moderate s curve.

I was surprised how easy these discs were to throw. About a year ago I disced down and limited myself to fairway drivers and really started enjoying eagles and leopards. I throw darts, rhynos, and gators for most of my short game. When I got tired of fairway drivers for the wide open holes i started hyzerfliping starlite bosses. I expected to lose some distance by trading the light discs for these moderately stable heavy discs.

Sorry that took more writing than I anticipated. Thoughts?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

Your on the right track. Learn to throw high speed drivers in the 160s or low 170s. Keep your Eagles and Leos. Shrykes and Terns will be good for you. Champ Wraiths can be beef. Maybe try a gstar Thunderbird for a step up from the Eagle. The light blizzard stuff is fine out of the box but it beats in too quickly and they become squirrels.

Your on the right track. Learn to throw high speed drivers in the 160s or low 170s. Keep your Eagles and Leos. Shrykes and Terns will be good for you. Champ Wraiths can be beef. Maybe try a gstar Thunderbird for a step up from the Eagle. The light blizzard stuff is fine out of the box but it beats in too quickly and they become squirrels.
I carry a couple 155 star firebirds and a max weight firebird, also a 160 champ banshee. With my eagles and leopards these discs do everything out to about 325. I will probably forehand the shryke a lot for 300ish shots. I did have a 175 Gstar thunderbird but i found myself reaching for the firebird all the time instead so I traded it. I only carry a star rancho roc, metal flake Gator(my favorite disc), and a star 180 mako for mids. I don't use mids much. My rhyno is basically what I use in place of the roc. Darts for most putts. Wedge for weird putts. Aviar because it is pretty to look at[emoji854].

Keep grinding dude, and like they said above, check out a thunderbird. I hear they're solid. Wraiths are awesome and you can pick up a DX one at walmart if you are keen on availability.

A lot of guys throw Destroyers b/c they come in every flavor you need. There are really beefy ones that are great for windy days, stable ones that give you an easy S-curve and flippy ones for those tailwinds and max D hyzerflip lines. I've heard a lot of good things about Terns, especially for that easy D, stable to understable slot. Not technically Innova but made by them, the DiscMania DDx is a great distance driver for consistent D, especially the more stable ones.

I'd probably shy away from the really light stuff, it can be tough to adjust to when you have a big weight discrepancy. I like my distance stuff in the mid 160s personally.

Destroyers would probably be good for you in GStar or Pro; they're a little less beefy than Star and they beat in a little faster too. Star is most likely to fly too beefy out of the box although I've heard the current embossed run is just a little less beefy so maybe a Star in the low to mid 160s would be okay too.

The Shryke is like a slightly faster, slightly more stable Tern which is great. In Champion, they're just a bit more stable than Star in my experience, but no where near Destroyer overstable.

A lot of guys throw Destroyers b/c they come in every flavor you need. There are really beefy ones that are great for windy days, stable ones that give you an easy S-curve and flippy ones for those tailwinds and max D hyzerflip lines. I've heard a lot of good things about Terns, especially for that easy D, stable to understable slot. Not technically Innova but made by them, the DiscMania DDx is a great distance driver for consistent D, especially the more stable ones.

I'd probably shy away from the really light stuff, it can be tough to adjust to when you have a big weight discrepancy. I like my distance stuff in the mid 160s personally.
Ideally I would like to get some drivers in the 160s. Ill probably get some f2s. I think I will keep throwing these until 2 really stick out and start buying those in more plastics.

At 400 feet I'd grab a star wraith and throw it a couple months. The plastic begins to feel amazing after some wear and the flight gets even better too. Beat wraiths are crushers

I consistently throw 425' and love the Shyrke for max distance. I carry one in all three plastics, with the Champion being the most stable. The Champ I can throw flat and it will fly on a nice tight S curve, a very accurate and reliable disc. The Star is always thrown with some hyzer, and it will flip up and over into a big bombing S curve. The G-Star is flippy, and used for big turnovers or max distance in tailwinds.

But I don't use any of them into headwinds. I sometimes will throw the Champ if the wind is very light, say under 5mph. Anything stronger than that I have to disc up in stability, usually to my PD2's. The Shyrke's just can't handle them.

At 400 feet I'd grab a star wraith and throw it a couple months. The plastic begins to feel amazing after some wear and the flight gets even better too. Beat wraiths are crushers
I'm thinking that is a good idea, but I may have to wait awhile to justify more disc purchases.

no t-bird love here? that was always 'the' disc that everyone talked about. Realize it may not be a 'long distance' driver but it's consistent, reliable and very available in a variety of plastics as far as I know.

no t-bird love here? that was always 'the' disc that everyone talked about. Realize it may not be a 'long distance' driver but it's consistent, reliable and very available in a variety of plastics as far as I know.

There are 4 teebirds in my bag currently, and I wouldn't have recommended it in this tread.. It's not a high speed driver.