• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Introduction & Disc Selection Question

ElliottDenney

So I'm fairly new to DG (~2 months), but I am beyond addicted. I'm a 25yo med student, I've begun spending almost every free moment on the course or doing field work.

I'm wondering if I can get some help on the next disc that I should purchase (I've got a little more $$ left on an Amazon gift card that I got for my birthday). As of right now, I think that my bag (I would hardly call it that) is a bit of a cluster that I've accrued through packs, finds, and individual purchases. Here's what I have so far as well as my best distances:

Discraft Challenger, Pro-D, 171g: 250-ish
Innova Shark, DX moderately beat, 150g: 250-ish (don't really go for too much distance because it just turns over like crazy for me)
Innova Cobra, DX slightly beat, 169g: 280-300
Innova Roc3, Metal flake, 180g: 280-300
Innova TL, Star, 174g: 300-330
Innova Valkyrie, Champion, 175g: 300-330
Vibram Lace, X-Link Medium, 175g: 300-350
Discraft Avenger SS, Pro-D, 152g: Eh, I'm not sure. Don't throw it much.

My best shots with any of one of these discs is about 20ft further than what I have listed, but these shots are few and far between at this point. Current PR distance is around 385' on a slight decline with the Lace during field work.

My wife primarily uses the Shark and Avenger, so that is why I'm not really sure how far I can get either of these discs.

My thoughts right now are that I have a lot of heavy discs which may be hurting me a bit as far as getting the discs up to the proper speed. Maybe I should get a slightly lighter driver? Maybe a driver is the last thing I need? No idea. . . There very well could be some huge gaps that I don't even realize exist at this point.

I know that I will probably get a lot of different answers, but I welcome all the advice that I can get! Thanks in advance.

I'd get a Champ Teebird. It'll be a nice Overstable compliment to the Valk and TL.

I'd get a Champ Teebird. It'll be a nice Overstable compliment to the Valk and TL.

If you're getting it out there around 350', it sounds like you might be ready to step up in overall stability. I def agree w/bradharris and think you should get a Champ Teebird.

Maybe get a Thunderbird and a Destroyer too. And if you're really feeling frisky, a Firebird.

As for the weights, I'd stick with max weight discs. If you're throwing 385', you're arm strength is fine for max weight. And max weight discs fight wind and are easier to control, I find.

Oh, and get a Polecat. Just because.

See, this is why I'm glad I posted on here. I really hadn't even thought about the Teebird! I had given some thought to the Thunderbird now that I am getting some proper -2/2 flight pattern out of the Valkyrie (before it stayed pretty left). I didn't really think I was ready for the Destroyer, but I had considered getting a Wraith.

Should the Teebird be my priority? (I'll just be purchasing one disc for the time being)

I really hadn't even thought about the Teebird!

Turns out your TL is just an understable Teebird. The "T" in the "TL" stands for Teebird, I'm pretty sure. (Just don't ask me what the "L" stands for...) I started out with a TL too then dropped it for the Teebird. Dropped my Shark too when I starred bagging my Roc & Roc3.

I didn't really think I was ready for the Destroyer, but I had considered getting a Wraith.

Throwing over 350'? You're ready for a Destroyer. Especially if you are throwing a FH. Or some other OS driver, like a Surge or a Nuke.

Don't know too much about the Wraith, personally, but I see a ton of people throw one. Sounds like a good disc, based on all reports.

Should the Teebird be my priority? (I'll just be purchasing one disc for the time being)

I dunno. I can't see anyone not owning a Teebird but I also think you need an OS driver. I'd get both, if I were you. ;)

First of all, shout out from a fellow med student. I picked up disc golf (after a long hiatus) during my Psychiatry rotation during third year. Welcome to the addiction. My wife's current favorite discs are a beat-up DX Leopard and a 150s X Stratus.

I'd say look around on the site and see if there's something you're aching to try. E.g. I remember buying a Comet (I like Z) and Drone based on seeing things on DGCR and talking to folks on the course. Do you want to try a lid like a Polecat? Or a fancy gyro putter like the Ion or Envy? I'd say it's not a big deal to "fill gaps" at this stage in your career. Play/throw to have fun, so buy a new disc that you really want to try. No one on here can know which will strike your fancy.

I'm curious: do you throw forehands? If you throw forehand, I think you should try a Firebird. Awesome for skip shots and overhand stuff.

Another disc you might like is a Z Buzzz in the 170s. If you like the Shark's feel, you'll probably like the Buzzz. It shouldn't turn over, and there's a reason the Buzzz is often imitated. Of course if you're happy with the Roc3, that's probably unnecessary.

As far as weight, I've always felt (not sure if this is justified) that discs were meant to be 160s or 170s. I might not get every foot of distance out of them, but they seem to be more consistent.

First of all, shout out from a fellow med student. I picked up disc golf (after a long hiatus) during my Psychiatry rotation during third year.

That's uncanny. I picked it up during my psych clerkship third year as well. I actually played 27 holes the day before the shelf. Outsiders might get the impression that the psych rotation is easy or something. . . ;)

I'd say look around on the site and see if there's something you're aching to try.

I had thought about this, but the only problem is I want to try everything! I'm really interested in the Nova because I love the way it feels if I had to narrow it down to one. I also want to expand beyond Innova to see what else is out there. I basically want to try everything that Prodigy has just for the sake of trying it. And Latitude64. . . and Discraft. . . and Vibram. . .:confused:

I'm curious: do you throw forehands? If you throw forehand, I think you should try a Firebird.

Actually, yes. I come from an Ultimate background, and I was most accurate (by a long shot) with my forehand. When I first started playing DG, I depended heavily upon my FH for both drives and approaches. I hit 300+ with my FH long before I did with my BH (I actually lost a DX Wraith I had because I hyzer flipped it 330+ into some DENSE woods during field work :(). However, lately I've been neglecting it because I know that I will have more distance long-term if I can train my BH properly. The last few rounds I've played, I haven't thrown FH at all, but it's probably time to start re-incorporating it to my game.

Even though I am happy with the Roc3, I have thought about the Buzz as well just because of the reviews and following that it has.

Don't be in a rush to try out Destroyers and other high speed fare. Even at 350', there's some more distance potential up and until the speed 10's.

Agreed on the Teebird recommendations. They're fantastic workhorse discs.
Try a Star Leopard. A Leopard/TL/Teebird combination will cover just about any fairway duties you might have.

To bump up speed, give a Thunderbird or PD (Discmania) try to complement your Valk. You may also enjoy throwing a Beast or Orc.

But seriously, don't go racing for higher speed stuff until you feel truly confident controlling your mids, fairways and control drivers. Hell, I throw a bit further than you, and I don't throw anything over speed 10.

Yep^ ive recently started to throw some 11-13 speed stuff and at under 425' i dont get more distance. They do fight headwinds better/longer (obviously) plus some mean skip action vs slower molds but that really is all.

You probably will F with form trying to throw faster stuff too which isn't good.

I love the TL; great disc. I am throwing nothing faster than 9 speed at the moment except for an ultra light Krait that I use for specific things, so no recs for higher speed discs but if you're looking for 9 speed, other than the Valk that your have (also a great disc), check out the Saint or Saint Pro. I love Lat 64 plastic and the Saint is a great disc.

If you want an OS driver that's not as fast as the Destroyer, I'm gonna recommend the Starfire. It's basically a tad more stable version of the Thunderbird, which I mentioned before.
Hardly anyone throws the Starfire and I can't figure out why. Great disc.

I'd like to jump on the bandwagon here.

I purchased a champion eagle and a star leopard both speed 7's. I was under the impression that the different discs would be easier to control and fly than my faster discs. In the past I had thrown a speed 6 dx leopard and it would turn over so quickly that I didn't want anything to do with it. The star leopard and speed 7 will fly straight, but does not turn over and turn into a roller at all. I have a gazelle and I have loved how it flew and it also is a dx plastic. I can fly it around 240-280, but not I am finding that it is also turning over into a roller. If I get a gazelle in a higher end plastic will I be able to use it as a driver and have less turn over as I did with the leopard?

I'm throwing an for drivers and I'm looking to get rid of the Star Leopard and leave the dx plastic gazelle for beginner friends I play with. The drivers I use are and most of them are at 175 grams except the gazelle...

Avenger SS 260-280 recently I may have thrown 300
Champion sidewinder 250
Star Leopard 240
Gazelle 240-280
Champion Eagle 120

Hardly anyone throws the Starfire and I can't figure out why. Great disc.

I bag a PFN Champ Starfire. They're fantastic OS discs. Complement my Orcs quite well. It's basically a faster Brinster for me.

I'd like to jump on the bandwagon here.

I purchased a champion eagle and a star leopard both speed 7's. I was under the impression that the different discs would be easier to control and fly than my faster discs. In the past I had thrown a speed 6 dx leopard and it would turn over so quickly that I didn't want anything to do with it. The star leopard and speed 7 will fly straight, but does not turn over and turn into a roller at all. I have a gazelle and I have loved how it flew and it also is a dx plastic. I can fly it around 240-280, but not I am finding that it is also turning over into a roller. If I get a gazelle in a higher end plastic will I be able to use it as a driver and have less turn over as I did with the leopard?

I'm throwing an for drivers and I'm looking to get rid of the Star Leopard and leave the dx plastic gazelle for beginner friends I play with. The drivers I use are and most of them are at 175 grams except the gazelle...

Avenger SS 260-280 recently I may have thrown 300
Champion sidewinder 250
Star Leopard 240
Gazelle 240-280
Champion Eagle 120

DX plastic gets flippy when it gets broke in. Fact of life with baseline plastics.

I bag a PFN Champ Starfire. They're fantastic OS discs. Complement my Orcs quite well. It's basically a faster Brinster for me.

DX plastic gets flippy when it gets broke in. Fact of life with baseline plastics.

My champion sidewinder is a speed 3 fade 3. Is the starfire that big of a difference? Also is the champion plastic and speed going to end up how my champion eagle flies? I threw a Valkerie a few days ago and I couldn't get it to go straight. I did notice however that my wifes destroyer flies straight pretty easily in dx plastic. It seems the increased glide helps stabilize its flight and helps it fly further.

Last edited:
That's uncanny. I picked it up during my psych clerkship third year as well. I actually played 27 holes the day before the shelf. Outsiders might get the impression that the psych rotation is easy or something. . . ;)

Haha. I did three weeks at an outside facility right by two of the best courses in Norman, OK. I had played before, so being in the vicinity reminded me of the sport! The funny thing is, I didn't quite get hooked until the following rotation, OB-GYN, and disc golf definitely caused me to fail one of our quizzes. :doh:

I had thought about this, but the only problem is I want to try everything! I'm really interested in the Nova because I love the way it feels if I had to narrow it down to one. I also want to expand beyond Innova to see what else is out there. I basically want to try everything that Prodigy has just for the sake of trying it. And Latitude64. . . and Discraft. . . and Vibram. . .:confused:

I've never clicked with the Nova, but plenty of people love it. Yup, there are too many nice discs out there these days. Just remember that it's probably better for your game to have fewer discs than too many. On the other hand, trying new plastic (or rubber, or gyro) is also one of the fun things about this game. All things in moderation...

Actually, yes. I come from an Ultimate background, and I was most accurate (by a long shot) with my forehand. When I first started playing DG, I depended heavily upon my FH for both drives and approaches. I hit 300+ with my FH long before I did with my BH (I actually lost a DX Wraith I had because I hyzer flipped it 330+ into some DENSE woods during field work :(). However, lately I've been neglecting it because I know that I will have more distance long-term if I can train my BH properly. The last few rounds I've played, I haven't thrown FH at all, but it's probably time to start re-incorporating it to my game.

Same ultimate background for me. My forehand and hammer were actually my longest and most accurate, and they've both been really useful in disc golf. I agree that BH is the winner in the long run, but I'd recommend reviving your forehand game, at least for upshots and shorter tee shots. For whatever reason, my forehand distance drives have been suffering, but lately I've been loving my Z Buzzz, max weight DX Polecat, and max weight Z Comet for some disc golf forehands that I haven't seen many other players use. On the other hand, I still use more "typical" forehand discs like a Zone, champ Firebird, star Teebird, and Z Predator. For me, my forehand is way more consistent for upshots, and it is way easier to straddle around obstacles than when using your backhand. Also, if you were a hammer guy, try busting that out on the course. There are certain lines, especially from bad lies, for which a traditional "ultimate hammer" is perfect. (i.e. up and around, landing pancake-ish on the ground, upside down)

Have you decided on a disc purchase yet? As I'm writing this I'm thinking you would like a Star Teebird (more overstable than your TL but very workable, and useful for both forehands/backhands), or maybe a Z Comet (renowned for its glidey goodness and pretty good for form practice). But there are so many options.

Even though I am happy with the Roc3, I have thought about the Buzz as well just because of the reviews and following that it has.

I like the Buzzz feel a lot. I'm not that familiar with Rocs/Roc3s, but the Buzzz lacks a bead, which probably makes it a little nicer for forehands. It also flies well on both full power and powered-down shots, which might also be nice coming from an ultimate background.

My forehand and hammer were actually my longest and most accurate, and they've both been really useful in disc golf.

Also, if you were a hammer guy, try busting that out on the course. There are certain lines, especially from bad lies, for which a traditional "ultimate hammer" is perfect. (i.e. up and around, landing pancake-ish on the ground, upside down).

I love hammering, and I am actually VERY accurate with my hammers. It was also my original distance shot as I was getting my forehand used to the new discs.

I think I'm between the star and champion Teebird at this point after all of the suggestions in its favor. I really like the feel of my star TL, but I also love the durability of the champ plastic. Either way, I'm ordering SOMETHING tonight.

Either way, I'm ordering SOMETHING tonight.

Man, you really know how to build the suspense! ;)

I feel like I'm waiting for the next GoT season premier or something.

I'm not sure I've ever felt this kind of emotional investment in a random stranger's disc purchase in my life, lol.

Let us know what your ordered, ASAP.

Well I decided to go with. . . drumroll please. . . . a sss wizard!!

Just kidding. I got a champ Teebird!

Latest posts